FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

HOWTO: Serviio on DNS-320 & DNS-325

<<

tihob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:15 pm

HOWTO: Serviio on DNS-320 & DNS-325

Hello, (and sorry for my english)

Attention : the dns-320 is not a racing machine, it will be difficult to play a movie it will be necessary to encode on the fly. But it works very well in transcoding.
Tested and approved with a Sony BDP-S370.

To start you must install fonz fun plug on your nas (more info here)

I created a package with a debian squeeze.
Just unzip the file and follow the instructions of README.

After restarting, the password for the ssh client is : serviio

For more explanation, please read the HOW-TO : http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=install_dlinkdns3xx

the package with serviio 0.6.1 + WEBUI in ajax --> [FREE] or [RS] or [FS]
MD5 : B764F1E3B6D653136A4992D64D8BD314
SHA-1 : 3395A2203C5251A00DBB4104EBD04A533132E5C7

the package with serviio 0.5.2 + apache + WEBUI in PHP (upload in progress)

To connect in SSH to your NAS you can use putty or SecureCRT (google is your friend)
Last edited by tihob on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 16 times in total.
<<

dascoobmaster

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: HOWTO :Servio on DNS-320 & DNS-325

You are the man. I knew if I was lazy enough someone else would do it :D

I am gonna try this in the next week or so I'll provide any feedback.

My device is a Sony Bravia EX 2010 series - which i think plays even less than the blue ray player :(

I'll give it a go nonetheless. My only formats are xvid, divx and MKVs.
<<

siccak

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Hello tihob,

i am really new to all this NAS stuff. I have successfully installed Serviio to my DNS-320 via your package. I can see in servio.log that Serviio server is running, i can see him in my TV too. But how i can control the server? I mean adding stuff to library and etc. I suppose that i can use WebUI for it, but i dont know how to do it.

Can you please help me?
<<

tihob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:02 pm

siccak wrote:Hello tihob,

i am really new to all this NAS stuff. I have successfully installed Serviio to my DNS-320 via your package. I can see in servio.log that Serviio server is running, i can see him in my TV too. But how i can control the server? I mean adding stuff to library and etc. I suppose that i can use WebUI for it, but i dont know how to do it.

Can you please help me?

Hi,
I will made a complete "how to" this week for explain all...

For Configure Serviio, you must use the web UI!
To activate the webUI :
->Connect in ssh to your NAS :
ssh root@IpOfYourNas
password : serviio

->Launch Apache's service :
/etc/init.d/apache2 start

->Verify if the apache is running :
(You must have 4 line with apache2)

->With your web broswer connect to the webUI
http://IPNAS:8080/serviio

Don't forget the :8080

->Configure the webUI

When you have finish you can stop apache2 to preserve cpu with :
/etc/init.d/apache2 stop

For your information Serviio's folder is in /opt/serviio
You will find the log and the configure.xml files

Be conscient that's keep take a long time before your library is read by serviio.
Use the command top to see if serviio works... You will see a java process who uses 99% of cpu!

Test with this information, i hope that's will works!

Sorry for my poor english, if you see intolerable fault please correct me :?
<<

tihob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:10 pm

dascoobmaster wrote:You are the man. I knew if I was lazy enough someone else would do it :D

I am gonna try this in the next week or so I'll provide any feedback.

My device is a Sony Bravia EX 2010 series - which i think plays even less than the blue ray player :(

I'll give it a go nonetheless. My only formats are xvid, divx and MKVs.

Hi,
I have a bravia ex 2010 series too, i'm sorry but it works well with picture and mp3, but it's difficult to play divx and more MKVs, because serviio encode all of this in ts with ffmpeg.
So if you have no choice, i suggest you to wait that serviio finishes encoding before reading in your TV, or to convert all your library in ts :oops:
I hope that one day, bravia can read divx in dlna!
<<

siccak

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Hello,

thanks for your reply. I figured myself how to start Apache this evening. Now i can connect to WebUI at port 8080.

But i have another problem. How i can add stuff to my library? I am trying to use Add Path button - example: /volume1/Movies - but it does not work. In my TV i can only see folder Audio, but nothing more. Every time when i add Path in WebUI it starts refreshing library but finds nothing. (i can see in seviio.log -

2011-09-14 19:55:48,337 INFO [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Finished looking for newly added files
2011-09-14 19:55:48,560 INFO [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Started looking for newly added files
2011-09-14 19:55:48,589 INFO [LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread] Started looking for updates to currently shared files)
<<

tihob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:40 pm

siccak wrote:Hello,

thanks for your reply. I figured myself how to start Apache this evening. Now i can connect to WebUI at port 8080.

But i have another problem. How i can add stuff to my library? I am trying to use Add Path button - example: /volume1/Movies - but it does not work. In my TV i can only see folder Audio, but nothing more. Every time when i add Path in WebUI it starts refreshing library but finds nothing. (i can see in seviio.log -

2011-09-14 19:55:48,337 INFO [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Finished looking for newly added files
2011-09-14 19:55:48,560 INFO [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Started looking for newly added files
2011-09-14 19:55:48,589 INFO [LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread] Started looking for updates to currently shared files)

Don't forget that you are in a debian environment, so yours paths will look like:
/mnt/HD/HD_a2/folderOfYourMovies
The folder volumes_1 doesn't exist in this debian...
<<

siccak

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Re: HOWTO: Serviio on DNS-320 & DNS-325

Many, many thanks now is everything working.

Thank you tihob
<<

extenue

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:25 am

Hello,

Thank you very much for the work and on sharing that , everything is fine except ... my folder (video at the root of Volume_1) looks empty both in my bravia and my PS3 !
i used to have Servioo running on my Synology and all is good with this Servioo and my Bravia and PSA , so i think i have a problem purely with Servioo on the Dlink , i think about permissions to give on folders ? i already put 777 ...

Do you see why this folder look empty ? i confirm i put that on the library : /mnt/HD/HD_a2/video

for information the built in DLNA product shipped with DLINK is perfectly able to see the content of /Volume_1\Video (/mnt/HD/HD_a2/video)

Please i need help !

Thanks,
exté
<<

tihob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:25 pm

extenue wrote:Hello,

Thank you very much for the work and on sharing that , everything is fine except ... my folder (video at the root of Volume_1) looks empty both in my bravia and my PS3 !
i used to have Servioo running on my Synology and all is good with this Servioo and my Bravia and PSA , so i think i have a problem purely with Servioo on the Dlink , i think about permissions to give on folders ? i already put 777 ...

Do you see why this folder look empty ? i confirm i put that on the library : /mnt/HD/HD_a2/video

for information the built in DLNA product shipped with DLINK is perfectly able to see the content of /Volume_1\Video (/mnt/HD/HD_a2/video)

Please i need help !

Thanks,
exté

HI Exté,
Did you looked the logs of Serviio ?
If yes, did you seen that files are add to the library ?
I suggest you activate the full detail log to see the problem !
Make sure your files and folders contain no accent, when i create this package i forgot to install a local files with accent (french,...).
<<

extenue

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:32 pm

salut ,

moi aussi je suis french :) , j'accede finalement au contenu apres que j'ai changé le proprio et le group a root au lieu de "501"

i finally succeed to see content of folder after changed owner and group to be root instead of "501"

however , i am disappointed as it's not working properly for divX on my TV Bravia (which cannot see that natively) and it was the only purpose of Serviio ...

i am not so surprised as 700 Mhz is not good enough for reeconding on the fly
Last edited by extenue on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

extenue

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:41 pm

extenue wrote:salut ,

moi aussi je suis french :) , j'accede finalement au contenu apres que j'ai changé le proprio et le group a root au lieu de "501"

i finally succeed to see content of folder after changed owner and group to be root instead of "501"

however , i am disappointed as it's not working properly for divX on my TV Bravia (which cannot see that natively) therefore it was the only purpose of Serviio ...

is it normal that after a reboot and without doing nothing , java take 86% of CPU ? even if serviio is running or not , java take all the cpu .. i think i have an issue and if i can resolve that i may expect to stream divx ?

is java take full cpu on your dlink ? (i use top for seeing this)

can you share more details on how you setup all this , i would like to change java and servioo version

i already did an aptitude remove openjdk-6-jre then an aptitude install openjdk-6-jre-headless and it's same and even worse ! java takes 99.7% cpu after a fresh reboot

i have java 6 embedded in my Synology and serviio runs very well with (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html) and also java takes 0% , would it be possible to run java 6 embedded on the dlink ?

Thanks
exté
<<

tihob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:39 am

extenue wrote:
extenue wrote:salut ,

however , i am disappointed as it's not working properly for divX on my TV Bravia (which cannot see that natively) therefore it was the only purpose of Serviio ...

is it normal that after a reboot and without doing nothing , java take 86% of CPU ? even if serviio is running or not , java take all the cpu .. i think i have an issue and if i can resolve that i may expect to stream divx ?

is java take full cpu on your dlink ? (i use top for seeing this)

can you share more details on how you setup all this , i would like to change java and servioo version

i already did an aptitude remove openjdk-6-jre then an aptitude install openjdk-6-jre-headless and it's same and even worse ! java takes 99.7% cpu after a fresh reboot

i have java 6 embedded in my Synology and serviio runs very well with (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html) and also java takes 0% , would it be possible to run java 6 embedded on the dlink ?

Thanks
exté

I tried to reduce cpu usage by java, but I did not happened. I think, java takes 99% of your cpu because it has not finish to scan your library. Normally, when Serviio not runs it take 0% of CPU.
Try to disable automatic scan, because is very long to scan with serviio 0.5.2 in dlink.
But like i said in my first post, it very difficult to run serviio on dlink with sony bravia, because it encodes divx with ffmpeg, and it takes much cpu.
Me i use Serviio with my bluray because it can read divx and mkv natively.

The only advice I can give you, it's to :
Try to update to serviio 0.6.0.1, it takes less cpu to check your library media.
After the reboot, wait 5 minutes, and look if the cpu decreased.
If not, test to uncheck in library option " Keep library automatically updated".
Launches the movie you want to see and stop it.
Look your serviio's tempory folder (by default /tmp/serviio) the progress of the encoding, expects that he took enough advance before restarting playback.

Maybe it is best to copy this files after it has finished in your library's folder for reuse again.
I'm sorry but I don't know what you say, i haven't found how to do better.
Last edited by tihob on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

tihob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Add :
How to update in serviio 0.6.0.1
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:12 pm

serviio 0.6 upgarde should be easy just install it over the top of your old 0.5.2
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

extenue

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:19 pm

tihob wrote:Add :

i am not sure to understand the upgrade path ...
on servioo folder , i unzip new version and now i have one folder for 0.6 and one folder for 0.5

what exactly i need to after ?
your first command is to delete the folder 0.6 ... i feel confuse

please can you details path upgrade and can you give please URL for dowloading WebUI

Thanks !
Exté
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:39 pm

you should be able to just override contents of the 0.5 folder with contents of the 0.6 folder. That is if you didn't make any custom changes to any of the files (as a part of the NAS installation for example)
<<

tihob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:42 pm

extenue wrote:
tihob wrote:Add :

i am not sure to understand the upgrade path ...
on servioo folder , i unzip new version and now i have one folder for 0.6 and one folder for 0.5

what exactly i need to after ?
your first command is to delete the folder 0.6 ... i feel confuse

please can you details path upgrade and can you give please URL for dowloading WebUI

Thanks !
Exté

Sorry to reply so late, I had not received notification by mail :(
You've right, i made a mistake in my tutorial...
Like zip said, you have 2 solutions :
First you overwrite the folder of your older serviio's folder...
Second, you create a new folder, and make a symbolic link to your library's folder, with the command "ln -s ..."
You have the choice.
You will find the WebUI URL, in the third party tool (http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1310).
<<

nightwish

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi Guys

I've just installed 0.6.0.1 over the top of 0.5.2 on my dns 320 but after changing the config.php of the webui, it's saying 'Required Serviio 0.6.0.1, but found '0.5.2' Do I need to change anything else?

I'm a complete noob, so any help would be really appreciated!!
<<

tihob

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:16 am

nightwish wrote:Hi Guys

I've just installed 0.6.0.1 over the top of 0.5.2 on my dns 320 but after changing the config.php of the webui, it's saying 'Required Serviio 0.6.0.1, but found '0.5.2' Do I need to change anything else?

I'm a complete noob, so any help would be really appreciated!!

Hi,
Are you sure the version of servvio is running the 0.6.0.1?
Test to reboot the service.
If in doubt you can install the 0.6.0.1 in another directory and make a symbolic link to your library as explained in my first post.
Could you post the result of "ps -auxef" ?
Next

Return to NAS installation