FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Online Sources

<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:26 am

Online Sources

I have a Samsung TV and a Samsung BR both 2011 models that support DLNA and both use the Samsung C/D profile.

The BR plays the EarthTouch podcasts correctly, but the TV gives unsupported Video Codec messages for all of them.
Any idea why?

Also YouTube works correctly on both when I set Medium Quality preferred, but if I set High Quality preferred, may of the videos report unsupported Video Codec again. Any idea why?

I'd also like to get the panoramo slideshow playing but this link just gives an empty folder. http://feeds.feedburner.com/panoramio/Riqg
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:43 am

Re: Online Sources

jhb50 wrote:I have a Samsung TV and a Samsung BR both 2011 models that support DLNA and both use the Samsung C/D profile.

The BR plays the EarthTouch podcasts correctly, but the TV gives unsupported Video Codec messages for all of them.
Any idea why? <-- transcoding might be required to play this feed

Also YouTube works correctly on both when I set Medium Quality preferred, but if I set High Quality preferred, may of the videos report unsupported Video Codec again. Any idea why? <--- thats correct

I'd also like to get the panoramo slideshow playing but this link just gives an empty folder. http://feeds.feedburner.com/panoramio/Riqg <-- thats not an RSS feed
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for the reply but it does not answer my first 2 questions.

1. The EarthTouch podcasts are reported as mpeg and play on the BR so they do not need transcoding. I'd appreciate additional advice.

2. The YouTube response does not make sense to me. If I set High quality preferred then it should still play any that are only available in lower quality.
Medium should only restict the feed to Medium if a Higher quality is also available. Your response indicates that this is a bug.

3. It would appear that my only solution for Panaramio is to start the widget slideshow on my PC and capture the screen to an mp4 video which I can then play back over DLNA. They provide no feed capability.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:24 pm

jhb50 wrote:3. It would appear that my only solution for Panaramio is to start the widget slideshow on my PC and capture the screen to an mp4 video which I can then play back over DLNA. They provide no feed capability.

try this link and see if it works in serviio, I am at work and cannot try it now.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/panoramio/Riqg?format=xml
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:07 pm

jhb50 wrote:Thanks for the reply but it does not answer my first 2 questions.

1. Just Cause it works on the BR doesnt mean it will work on your TV and fact its mpeg is meaningless we would need to know the exact information on it " ffmpeg -i "

2. Each quality may pull a different file type from the feed, that is why medium works and high does not.

3. thats not possible with serviio

Note: i can happily setup transcoding for the C series so that every file plays but then im compromising on quality of some that will play to get other less popular feeds to work.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks..

Any suggestion on how to get info on a feed.? I don't think I can use ffmpeg on it. It really makes no sense that the higher DLNA function TV will not play an MPEG feed that the lower function BD player will play correctly.

I understand your point about high/medium/low, but the only reason for these options is to gate the stream to fit the available bandwidth, so low should only play low streams, medium should play medium and low streams and high should play high, medium and low streams. I have already used the logic in WIIMC+ to access the highest quality YouTube stream that matches the users quality option, so I know what works. What does not work is servio failing to play an stream that is only available in medium quality when my option is set to high. Perhaps zip can weigh in on this.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:31 pm

almost all online content is transcoded, as mp4 (mostly used) files usually store some information at the end of the file and it'd be very slow to perform a random I/O operation on a remote file. So the fact it shows at mpeg 2 already means it's (actually will be) transcoded to mpeg2.

The quality selection is implemented in the plugin, you might want to enable detailed logging and try to play the file on different quality settings, then compare the 2 ffmpeg commands and also run ffmpeg -i on the different (quality based) URLs. Otherwise you'right, there will always be a file returned, no matter what quality is required/available.

Return to Samsung