FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Feed Package install (Concept)

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:13 am

Feed Package install (Concept)

ok here is my concept for a Feed package install, this thread is mainly for zip but please comment if you like the idea or not. :)

END USER

i have tried to make this as simple as possible for the end user by designing it so that all they have to do is download a zip file from here, and then select it in the console.

PACKAGE MAKERS

Ok again i have tried to make it simple as i can, so theres 2 options for this either maker can create the XML file required by hand in a txt editor or optionally use a creator java app.

xml maker concept.png
xml maker concept.png (25 KiB) Viewed 10523 times

basicly the same box we use now but instead of putting the info to the DB it would create the XML file.

PACKAGE CONTENCE

40D - Come Dine With Me.zip
|---- 40D - Come Dine With Me.xml
|---- 40D.groovy

XML FILE CONTENCE

<Source Type> Web Resource </Source Type>
<Source URL> http://www.channel4.com/programmes/come ... ith-me/4od </Source URL>
<Display Name> 4OD - Come Dine With Me </Display Name>
<Media Type> Video </Media Type>
<Thumbnail Url> Null </Thumbnail Url> <---- if content is not required the " Null " flag would tell serviio leave it blank/ignore it :)
<Plugin> 4OD.groovy </Plugin> <-- tells serviio that a plugin is required, what it is called in the package and to install it if it is not already installed.

maybe even a <feed number> field so that more than one feed can be added at same time.

PACKAGE INSTALLER FRONT END

ok again K.I.S.S so nice and simple for the end user BUT this part require work on ZIPS part as this is beyond my skills and would require ZIP to edit the console to add this.

so basicly the user clicks a button in the online feed section and then selects the package file, they downloaded from here and then serviio does the rest. ( basicly how i see it is serviio looks at information in the XML file and then take that infomration and adds it to its DB and installs the plugin if its required/not already present. )

feed package installer.png
feed package installer.png (78.13 KiB) Viewed 10534 times

EXTRA INFORMATION

because im just adding a button to the current console, it means user can opt to install groovys and feeds manually ( like we do now ) for unusual feeds, testing or for feeds that dont require a plugin. :)
Last edited by Cerberus on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Feed Package install (Concept)

I was thinking about something like this few months ago and this is something very similar to the 'bundles' I talk about in the other thread, only offline version. It's very similar, the only difference is the delivery method. I think the online version would be better mainly from the point of view of mobile devices, so that you don't have to download the zip file to the device first. Also the centrally managed repo 9rather than many zip files) will be easier to manage (e.g. adding a new field to DB vs updating 200 zip files with a change in the XML file).

Obviously there is a room for a zip file like this generated by the online repo if there is a use case for it (e.g. export, backup, whatever).
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 pm

im just think on the K.I.S.S lines, and i personaly dont liek idea of an external site having access to my pc to change things.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:51 pm

Cerberus wrote:im just think on the K.I.S.S lines, and i personaly dont liek idea of an external site having access to my pc to change things.

I am not planning on allowing an external site to make changes to the local computer.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:52 pm

moltra wrote:
Cerberus wrote:im just think on the K.I.S.S lines, and i personaly dont liek idea of an external site having access to my pc to change things.

I am not planning on allowing an external site to make changes to the local computer.

then how are you delivering the content from the repo to the serviio server?
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:57 pm

I am looking at getting the data in various ways, one giving the console creators a link to the database that they can use to allow the searching of the database and the adding of any selected feeds.

I am looking at creating console like frontend that a user can download from my site and then use it to search the DB and add any feeds that they select. Right now I am thinking that the only time anyone will actually go to the website is to add new content or make a comment on existing content. Or maybe to do a quick search and see what is avaliable.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:07 pm

moltra wrote:I am looking at getting the data in various ways, one giving the console creators a link to the database that they can use to allow the searching of the database and the adding of any selected feeds.

I am looking at creating console like frontend that a user can download from my site and then use it to search the DB and add any feeds that they select. Right now I am thinking that the only time anyone will actually go to the website is to add new content or make a comment on existing content. Or maybe to do a quick search and see what is avaliable.

ok still confused but ah well i have put my idea down so up to zip which way he goes. :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Hey the way I look at it the more ways to get content into serviio the better.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:43 pm

moltra wrote:Hey the way I look at it the more ways to get content into serviio the better.

deffinately
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Return to Third-party tools integration