Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Mon May 28, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Serviio bought out by Sony?

Im pretty sure this wont apply to the Bravia range :D
Read this article it applies to forthcoming Sony Google TV devices

Sony did attempt a standalone device last year powered by Google TV
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

SonyHomestream

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 29, 2012 11:33 am

Hi all

Just wanted to drop in and say hi - we are big fans of what Petr has created and have already been improving functionality on BRAVIA by working closely with him in addressing some of issues people have raised.

The best way to explain what we are trying to do with Homestream is to make a easy to use DLNA solution for mass market users who aren't anywhere near as technically gifted as you guys. We aren't trying to switch people from Serviio to Homestream don't worry!! We know many people love the idea of sharing content, but don't know how to do it, so we are trying to make it as simple as possible. Basing Homestream on the Serviio platform for me was a no-brainer as its rock solid software and thanks to the work the community have done over the last few years, works brilliantly with our products. So as a thank you we''ll be doing some giveaways on the forums here, so stay tuned for that.

In the meantime, we are giving away a fantastic 2012 46" HX8 BRAVIA TV on our twitter feed - @sonyhomestream https://twitter.com/#!/SonyHomestream . This is probably the best TV we have created to date, gathering up plenty 5* reviews http://imgur.com/UOfV6 Just follow us and retweet one of the competition messages to be in with a chance of winning.

Please shout if you have any questions for me regarding Homestream or Sony in general and I'll do my best to answer.

Edd @ Sony
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Wed May 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Welcome Edd Uzzell or is it Catmambo to our forums!

Im really glad Sony UK chosen Serviio and look i forward me winning that gorgeous TV! :D

Can i ask why havent Sony USA gone the same route the UK have. Would be great to educate the Americans too on how easy it is to stream media to a Bravia TV
To be honest i didnt know when i bought my Sony 52NX803 how to stream video, tried and tested all the media servers until i found Serviio

Im hearing .srt subtitles is on the cards. Really looking forward what Serviio/Homestream and Sony can forge together.
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

SonyHomestream

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 31, 2012 10:01 pm

Simply this has been a UK initiative for now. The US is a very different beast although it's now headed up by an English guy. Lots of interesting discussions happening at the moment about next steps and future functionality though so stay tuned.

Thanks
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Trusted Reviews praise Homestream compliments well for this Sony TV giving it 10/10 - http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-kdl- ... _TV_review

Trusted Reviews Quote
Or stream video, photo and music files in from a connected computer. And, thanks to Sony’s nice new Homestream software, you can play multimedia from Macs and DLNA PCs too.

And for another Sony TV which they also rate 10/10 - http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-kdl- ... _TV_review
Turning to the 46HX853’s multimedia capabilities, the TV can play a wide variety of video, music and photo file formats from USB sticks or your computer. In fact, Sony has taken this increasingly important feature further than most courtesy of its new Homestream system.

This software - pleasingly available for Mac as well as PC - simplifies the process for getting your multimedia files from your computer onto the TV. Or any other internet-enabled Sony device, including the PS3, Blu-ray players and ‘Netboxes’.

The interface for first setting this up isn’t particularly helpful. But once you’ve sussed the basics, the system does a fine job of taking the ball ache out of organising your files and formats.
Last edited by Xmantium on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:02 pm

I like the use of "ball ache" in the review. Nice. :)
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

SonyHomestream

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:59 am

Shameless plug - we are having a live text based Q&A for Homestream tomorrow on the Sony UK Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/SonyUK?ref=ts . Principally to drive awareness to Sony consumers, but feel free to join in and engage.

Thanks
Previous

Return to General discussion