FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MKV support on Panasonic VT30

<<

freesco

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:16 pm

MKV support on Panasonic VT30

Hi everybody,

Serviio is a nice piece of software and I would like to add my contribution to it's further development. I have installed on my computer version 0.6.2 and a Panasonic VT30 TV (best TVs in the world). Since I installed it I tested different MKV files and different profiles - Generic and Panasonic.
As you probably know, if the Generic profile is selected and the MKV file you are trying to play on the TV is supported by Panasonic, then you can play also the subtitle.
If you select Panasonic profile, then you can play almost all MKV files but no subtitle.

So...I looked at th properties of different MKV files, using MediaInfo (comes with K-Lite codec pack) and I saw that the only difference was that the files that won't play on my Panasonic TV using the Generic profile are different from the ones that are OK with only one property - they have: Muxing Mode: Header Stripping.

I tried to find a way to get rid of the Muxing Mode: Header Stripping and I found MKVToolnix (it can be downloaded from http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix)
You have to select Disable header removal compression for audio and video tracks by default and Start Muxing.

It takes only a couple of minutes, because all it does is to copy the MKV file and doing minor changes.

I tried this process with several MKV files and it worked.
Remember to select Generic Profile so you can play also the subtitle files.

Hope it will help you.

I'm very curios if this "trick" will work also on other Panasonic DLNA enabled series.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Re: MKV support on Panasonic VT30

ok this has been covered and there are 2 new panasonic profile availible on this site already but as your new i will post it here for you what you need to do is replace the panasonic section in your profiles.xml file with this code and your all sorted. :)

Code:
    <Profile id="12" name="Panasonic Viera (2011) Without AVI Support" extendsProfileId="1">
        <ContentDirectoryMessageBuilder>org.serviio.upnp.service.contentdirectory.PacketVideoDLNAMessageBuilder</ContentDirectoryMessageBuilder>
           <SubtitlesMimeType>text/srt</SubtitlesMimeType>
        <Transcoding>
           <!-- Transcode h264 videos with profile level > 4.1 to mpegts with ac3 audio -->
           <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" >
              <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
              <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
              <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
              <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
           </Video>
           <!-- remux VORBIS/FLAC/LPCM in MKV/MP4 to AC3 -->
           <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" >
              <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" aCodec="flac" />
              <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" aCodec="vorbis" />
              <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" aCodec="truehd" />
              <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" aCodec="lpcm"/>
              <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" aCodec="aac"/>
              <Matches container="3gp" vCodec="h264" />
           </Video>
           <!-- Remux MPEG-TS with no transcoding -->
           <Video targetContainer="mpegts">
              <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" />
              <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="mpeg2video"/>
           </Video>
           <!-- Remux WTV files to MPEG-PS with no transcoding-->
           <Video targetContainer="mpeg">
              <Matches container="wtv" />
           </Video>
           <!-- unsupported codecs will be transcoded into mpeg-ts, mpeg2 video and ac3 audio -->
           <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3">           
              <Matches container="avi" />
              <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="mjpeg" />
              <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="mpeg4" />
              <Matches container="mpeg" vCodec="mpeg1video" />
              <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="mpeg4" />
              <Matches container="asf" />
              <Matches container="flv" />
              <Matches container="ogg" />
              <Matches container="3gp" />
           </Video>
           <!-- unsupported audio will be transcoded into lpcm audio -->
           <Audio targetContainer="lpcm">
              <Matches container="flac" />
              <Matches container="ogg" />
              <Matches container="asf" />
              <Matches container="adts" />
           </Audio>
        </Transcoding>     
    </Profile>

you are correct header compression/stripping is not supported over DLNA and this wiki is availible to help with that: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=header_com
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

freesco

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Thank you for your answer.
I replaced the Panasonic profile with the one you provided.

The problem is that any file with header compression doesn't work on my VT30 - so the only solution (at least for me) is to remove Header Compression using MKVToolnix
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:42 pm

freesco wrote:Thank you for your answer.
I replaced the Panasonic profile with the one you provided.

The problem is that any file with header compression doesn't work on my VT30 - so the only solution (at least for me) is to remove Header Compression using MKVToolnix

thats correct for ALL devices none of them support header compression. :) see my below quote from above.

Cerberus wrote:you are correct header compression/stripping is not supported over DLNA and this wiki is availible to help with that: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=header_com
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Lindberg47

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:05 pm

I have that same problem as thread starter. Some mkv files will only play using "Panasonic-profile" in the Serviio-console. But i need the subtitles and they will only work on "Generic-profile".

I am on a mac. How do I edit profiles.xml on a mac?

I have tried that trick the thread starter suggests with Mkvtoolnix but the mkv-file still wont play using "generic-profile"

Can any one help me out?
Panasonic Viera TX-P42GT30Y
Running Mac OS X 10.7.4
<<

Scouser

Serviio lover

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:38 am

Lindberg47 wrote:
I am on a mac. How do I edit profiles.xml on a mac?

xml files are just text files. You can use any text editor such as TextEdit.app
<<

pson

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Can someone please help me with an updated config or something cause the one posted above doesn't seem to work any more.
If I do as described serviio service won't start until I replace config.xml with a backup.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:35 am

This profile has been superseded by the Panasonic Viera E/S/ST/VT (2011) profile that comes standard with your Serviio 1.3.1 installation.

Have you tried that profile?
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

pson

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:08 am

Yes I've tried both Panasonic profiles but I still cant get the TV to play anything else than some mpg and avi files.
Looks like Serviio isnt even trying to transcode the files cause the temporary folder is always empty. Thought it was because of the profile but maybe it's something else?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Make sure you press save after assigning the Panasonic Viera E/S/ST/VT (2011) renderer profile to your TV's IP address.
Ensure that you have transcoding enabled on the delivery, Transcoding tab in serviio console (pressing save after changing).

After that, no real idea - the 2011 profile will transcode all AVI files and pretty well all MP4 files so you should see transcoding for those. Your TV should play most common MKV files without transcoding.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

pson

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Yeah I had done all that but found the problem.
I was using the android app to choose what to watch, since the player in the TV itself is useless, and for some reason I had to tell Serviio to use the Panasonic profile for my Nexus7 for it to work.

Are there any way around this? Cause now Serviio transcode files that my Nexus7 normally handle without problem cause of the setting in Serviio.
And the transcoding seem to be really slow, kind of all movies lag. Does the traffic pass through the Nexus7 first before it is sent to the TV or how does it work? Cause if I use the browser/player in the TV they all play perfectly.

I thought that the android app just told the TV what file to get from the server but that doesn't seem to be the case...
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:11 am

Cause if I use the browser/player in the TV they all play perfectly.
My job is done :-). The Panasonic profile is designed to stream your media to the Panasonic TV, so this part is working.
I was using the android app to choose what to watch
Which app?
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

pson

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:06 pm

The app is named Media House https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mediahouse

When I wrote my last post I didn't think of that it wasn't an app you guys hade made so I guess I should take my questions else where.
If you don't happen to know how to solve it?
Or maybe you know of a different app that let me control the TV the same way but doesn't need the same workaround?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 pm

I wont be able to help - I haven't an Android device. Have a read of this topic - it seems to be your issue: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6587&p=47636&hilit=mediahouse#p47636

A lot of forum users seem to use BubbleUPNP as a DLNA controller (which is what I think you are trying to do) - they may be able to assist you here. From my limited understanding, you can use MediaHouse (or BubbleUPNP) as a DLNA controller by assigning your TV's profile to your Android device in Serviio Console. Unfortunately doing so will mean you cannot then use MediaHouse to watch video's on the device itself, as Serviio will transcode your media for presentation to your TV (not for playback on the Android). You would need to change profiles - assigning your TV's profile when using MediaHouse as a controller, and assigning a different profile when using it as a playback device (ServiiDroid I believe can be used for this.. however changing of profiles seems a messy way to achieve this, and if you are going to install a second app, it may be better to install a dedicated playback app).

Hope that makes sense - and any Android/BubbleUPNP/Mediahouse users out there - please correct me if I have this wrong.

You may also want to look at ServiiGo as a playback app for your Android. This will enable you to playback media from Serviio via the API, bypassing the intricacies of DLNA, but you will require a pro licence for Serviio to use it past your evaluation period. You could then use one app for playback (with the advantage that it works remotely across the internet) and one as a DLNA controller.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

pson

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Yes it makes sense and describe the problems and questions I had exactly.
I'll take a look at the other apps and the link you posted and hope I can get it to work smoothly, thanks for your help :)

Return to Panasonic