FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Solution to 30 minute disconnect problem (v1.2.1)

<<

pcbrand

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Solution to 30 minute disconnect problem (v1.2.1)

Trying to give something back to the community here, hopefully this will help save a lot of time and frustration for the folks who see this issue.

Symptom:
Playing videos would result in "Device disconnected" 20-30 minutes into the file being played.
After this error occurs - Serviio was no longer visible from my TV (LG LM9600).
Only way to bring it back was to restart the tv, at which point I will get another 30min of play before I had to do it all again.
Another TV set (also LG) somewhere else in the house was working just fine.
All TVs are connected via hard-wired ethernet - no WIFI.

Troubleshooting/Background:
Trying various server side solutions (ie. modifying settings in Serviio, downgrading serviio, using other DLNA servers, etc.) did not solve the issue. Increasing the Serviio timeout value on SSDP simply deferred the problem but did not solve it. In other words, setting the timeout to 2 hours, meant that you could now watch a movie for about 2 hours before it fails, but it would still fail.
I decided to look at the network hardware. The only difference between the network setup of the two TVs was that the one that had problems was going through a D-Link router/switch, while the other one that worked flawlessly was on LinkSys. After doing extensive searching on the internet I found the hint to the solution on a Philips TV support site.
The issue turned up to be IP Multi-Cast protocol support by the router, which is needed by most DLNA/UPNP servers in order to effectivel;y advertise their presence. To make a long story short, some routers do not have multi-cast support turned on by default, or have an inconsistent implementation of this support. This results in exactly the kind of behavior I was experiencing (disappearing Serviio).

Solution:
For me it was to turn on UPNP and IPv4 Multicast support on my D-Link router (off by default) - this in the Advanced>Advanced Networking tab. If still having issues - turn off IPv6 multicast support - and leave only IPv4 multicast turned on. This setting seemed to cause some issues for some folks.
The LG TV now works perfectly with Serviio.

If you see this issue on other routers, especially if you using DD-WRT or other custom firmware - I would recommend digging through the settings to find both UPNP and Multicast and make sure these are turned on.
<<

subora

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Re: Solution to 30 minute disconnect problem (v1.2.1)

Oh, God! Thnx for advise. I will try. My solution is connecting TV LG via wifi 5ghz 802.11n -> no disconnection yet...
<<

MrUlmo

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks for the info.

I had a problem similar to this. My TV couldn't see serviio at all when UPNP was on in my router.
This allso solved my issue
<<

pcbrand

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Glad I could help - enabling Multicast support on the router would probably also help resolve a lot of other unexplained "device disconnected" and "disappearing Serviio" issues. A couple of my friends were having inconsistent disconnects and this seemed to have helped.

Also - since Multicast is apparently a requirement of DLNA - it is not unique to Serviio.
<<

Dune

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Thank you! I was getting so desperate with this issue.

For my D-link DIR-645 the setting was under:

Advanced -> Advanced Settings -> IPV4 MULTICAST STREAMS -> Enable IPv4 Multicast Streams: [_]
<<

glenmonks

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:38 pm

I have BT Home hub3 anyone know where this option is?
<<

richierm257

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:44 pm

I Too have Bt Home hUB 3 WHERE IS MULTICAST ?

tHANKS

Rich
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:54 pm

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 router. Looking through the setting i couldnt find multicast. I came across this post that it may say IGMP Proxying.

My router says "The IGMP Proxying function lets a LAN PC to receive the multicast traffic it is interested in from the Internet."

By default my router has "Disable IGMP Proxying" ticked. Hopefully by changing this it fixes my random disconnects.
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

AaronK

Serviio lover

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:18 am

I have a NETGEAR DGND3700v2 and I found this in my manual

LAN TCP/IP Setup

RIP Version. This controls the format and the broadcasting method of the RIP packets
that the wireless modem router sends. It recognizes both formats when receiving. By
default, the RIP function is disabled.
- RIP-1 is universally supported. It is adequate for most networks, unless you have an
unusual network setup.
- RIP-2 carries more information. Both RIP-2B and RIP-2M send the routing data in
RIP-2 format. RIP-2B uses subnet broadcasting. RIP-2M uses multicasting.
<<

milansmart

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:53 am

Hi, I have the same problem, it's driving me crazy. But I have Apple AirPort Express router and couldn't find any of these setting. Does anyone please have any tips? Thanks in advance.
PS: It used to work just fine, then it started acting like this out of nothing
<<

bal3wolf

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:53 am

mine has the same problem with a wdtv live and a router running ddwrt i downgraded to 1.2 still has that problem im going to downgrade to 1.1 next to see if its fixed. And running plex at the same time it keeps working when serviio stops but i like serviio alot better.
<<

milansmart

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:55 am

I'm not sure if the downgrade will help. for me, it used to word normally on the last version and then it stopped working out of nothing. I didn't update the serviio software and I didn't change any of my AirPort setting. So I don't understand why it stopped working. I tried reinstalling and also deleting my library but no result, the connection still keeps dropping after around 30 minutes of playing. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
<<

bal3wolf

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:12 pm

milansmart wrote:I'm not sure if the downgrade will help. for me, it used to word normally on the last version and then it stopped working out of nothing. I didn't update the serviio software and I didn't change any of my AirPort setting. So I don't understand why it stopped working. I tried reinstalling and also deleting my library but no result, the connection still keeps dropping after around 30 minutes of playing. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

downgrading to 1.1 fixed it for me watched a 2 hr movie went to bed and this morning serviio still shows up as a media player in my wd tv and played a file fine Site below i found has all copys of serviio.

http://www.digital-digest.com/software/ ... ry.html#15
<<

milansmart

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:25 pm

thanks for the tip and the link, i'll try downgrading too.
<<

bal3wolf

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:51 pm

milansmart wrote:thanks for the tip and the link, i'll try downgrading too.

NP hope it works for you to i have watched 2 movies and about 10 hrs of not doing anything to the computer serviio runs on or my wdtv live all is working perfect now.
<<

milansmart

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 am

Unfortunately it didn't help. Tried it twice, first it disconnected about after 10 minutes, second about 20. Hopefully the next version of Serviio will fix this.
<<

Greg Sunny

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:21 pm

I unfortunately need to add my name to the long list of affected users... My system: WD TV Live and Mac Mini connected via PLC (Devolo)...
I tried all the tricks (even re-install my Mac Mini, downgrade Devolo firmware, played with router settings)... I'll try to downgrade Serviio to 1.1: will let you know ASAP!

Update: did not help :( I'm wondering what changed in my system which bring that behaviour!!!
Any (other) ideas?
<<

bal3wolf

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:01 am

Guess im lucky i been running 1.1 without a reboot sence my last post without any problems only other thing i remmber doing was changing Routing in my router to disabled i run ddwrt on it.
<<

neildp

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Might be a dumb question, but I think I need to also downgrade. Serviio console doesn't see see my device anymore. How do I downgrade though?
<<

bal3wolf

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:26 am

neildp wrote:Might be a dumb question, but I think I need to also downgrade. Serviio console doesn't see see my device anymore. How do I downgrade though?

Uninstall or just install a older ver over your current copy.
Next

Return to Serviio Support & Help