FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio server on WD My Book Live

<<

dokie80

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 am

Re: Serviio server on WD My Book Live

@thejazzman: on TV, it shows "03-Pics", empty folder. There's no way to add "path" from WebUI 1.4beta, only add folder (can't change the path). I will try to add path via serviidroid later.
@zip: apparently it's only the first time I browse the folder that is slow. afterward, quite fast, around 2-3 seconds. So It's good now (I think). Anyway, I don't know how to enable detailed log. I'm not familiar with linux, and only followed guides around the forum and web, whenever I have errors. I will see the log when I browse the folder from TV later, using tail command. btw, thanks for the wonderful app.

<<

dokie80

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi. Now the tv cant access the server, either time out or 'no video' message.

No error seen in log. :(
How can i see detailed log mentioned before? -- http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7

edit.
nvm, read the thread about detailed log, will try it out later. anyway, is it possible that the NAS cpu is too busy because serviio is scanning media that caused the time out? because I did edit the path for the '03-Pics & Vids' from serviiodroid, so serviio is adding media to library when I have this problem.
right now, I can browse the files using mediabrowser, does that mean the TV will too? (I'm not at home now)

Thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire VC using Tapatalk 2
<<

dokie80

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:50 am

thejazzman wrote:But if you want to try to clear it up, With version 0.6.x I seem to recall having issues with spaces and such in the names, I believe I tried to use quotes to resolve and it didn't work.
Since you are likely running the newest version, can't hurt to try again...
So I would try entering the name of the sharepoint one of two ways, hopefully one will work.
/shares/Public/'03-Pics & Vids'
or
/shares/Public/03-Pics\ \&\ Vids

Ultimatly I think this will remove the warning from the logs, but you may not be able to stream files. If I'm right, then you only option would be to get rid of the spaces and &

managed to make it working by editing the path via serviidroid. all good now.
and the problem is because of the '&', not the space, I just realize that I have a shared folder too with a space that work without problem.

<<

dokie80

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:21 am

here is the log file.
please have a look.
thanks
Attachments
serviolog.txt
(23.2 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
<<

dokie80

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:35 am

anyone can tell me what this error means? It show up when I do "force refresh"

Code:
2013-07-07 10:12:31,817 WARN  [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] An error occured while scanning for item to be added, will continue
org.serviio.db.dao.PersistenceException: Cannot mark Repository with id 2 as scanned
        at org.serviio.library.dao.RepositoryDAOImpl.markRepositoryAsScanned(RepositoryDAOImpl.java:173)
        at org.serviio.library.local.service.RepositoryService.markRepositoryAsScanned(RepositoryService.java:112)
        at org.serviio.library.local.metadata.LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread.run(LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread.java:84)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: Connection closed by unknown interrupt.
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown Source)
        at org.serviio.library.dao.RepositoryDAOImpl.markRepositoryAsScanned(RepositoryDAOImpl.java:171)
        ... 2 more
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Connection closed by unknown interrupt.
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
        ... 12 more
Caused by: ERROR 08000: Connection closed by unknown interrupt.
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.util.InterruptStatus.setInterrupted(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.util.InterruptStatus.throwIf(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BasicNoPutResultSetImpl.checkCancellationFlag(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.TableScanResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.IndexRowToBaseRowResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.ProjectRestrictResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.NormalizeResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.DMLWriteResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.UpdateResultSet.collectAffectedRows(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.UpdateResultSet.open(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.executeStmt(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
        ... 6 more
2013-07-07 10:12:31,871 INFO  [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Finished looking for newly added files
2013-07-07 10:12:31,980 WARN  [LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread] An error occured while scanning for items to be removed or updated, will continue
org.serviio.db.dao.PersistenceException: Cannot read MediaItems for Repository with id = 2
        at org.serviio.library.dao.MediaItemDAOImpl.getMediaItemsInRepository(MediaItemDAOImpl.java:164)
        at org.serviio.library.local.service.MediaService.getMediaItemsInRepository(MediaService.java:73)
        at org.serviio.library.local.metadata.LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread.searchForRemovedAndUpdatedFiles(LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread.java:157)
        at org.serviio.library.local.metadata.LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread.run(LibraryUpdatesCheckerThread.java:99)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: Connection closed by unknown interrupt.
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.closeOnTransactionError(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.movePosition(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.next(Unknown Source)
        at org.serviio.library.dao.MediaItemDAOImpl.mapResultSet(MediaItemDAOImpl.java:348)
        at org.serviio.library.dao.MediaItemDAOImpl.getMediaItemsInRepository(MediaItemDAOImpl.java:162)
        ... 3 more
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Connection closed by unknown interrupt.
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
        ... 14 more
Caused by: ERROR 08000: Connection closed by unknown interrupt.
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.util.InterruptStatus.setInterrupted(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.util.InterruptStatus.throwIf(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BasicNoPutResultSetImpl.checkCancellationFlag(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BulkTableScanResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.IndexRowToBaseRowResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.ProjectRestrictResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BasicNoPutResultSetImpl.getNextRow(Unknown Source)
        ... 7 more

thanks in advance
<<

BiB

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:02 am

I have corrected 8b) - replaced
  Code:
    #!/bin/sh

with
  Code:
    #!/bin/bash

thejazzman wrote:
8) Setup Daemon to launch serviio upon bootup of your MyBook Live.
8b) create serviio
  Code:
nano /etc/init.d/serviio

Paste the following code.
  Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    #########################################################
    #- Daemon script for Serviio media server
    #- By Ian Laird; converted for Debian by Jacob Lundberg
    #- /etc/init.d/serviio
    #########################################################
    #
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides:          serviio
    # Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs $network $syslog
    # Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs $network $syslog
    # Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop:      0 1 6
    # X-Interactive:     true
    # Short-Description: Start/stop serviio media server
    # Description:       The Serviio media server makes your media available to
    #                    all kinds of networked devices.
    ### END INIT INFO

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

if [ -f /etc/default/rcS ]; then
            . /etc/default/rcS
    fi

DAEMON_STOP=" -stop"
    NAME="$(basename $0)"
    PIDFILE="/var/run/serviiod.pid"
    TIMEOUT=10

if [ -f /etc/default/serviiod ]; then
            . /etc/default/serviiod
    fi

[ -x "$DAEMON" ] || exit 0

running() {
            if [ "x$1" == "x" ]; then
                    echo 0
                    return 1
            fi

PS=$(ps h -p $(echo $1 | sed -r 's/[\t \n]+/ -p /') | wc -l)
            echo $PS

if [ $PS -gt 0 ]; then
                    return 0
            else
                    return 1
            fi
    }

start() {
       # Set up correct LANG
          if [ -r /etc/default/locale ]; then
             . /etc/default/locale
             export LANG LANGUAGE LC_MESSAGES LC_ALL LC_CTYPE
          fi

log_daemon_msg "Starting Serviio media server daemon" "$NAME"
            start-stop-daemon --start -q -b -p "$PIDFILE" -m -c "${SERVICE_ACCOUNT}" -x "${DAEMON}"
            log_end_msg $?
    }

stop() {
            log_daemon_msg "Stopping Serviio media server daemon" "$NAME"
            if [ -r "$PIDFILE" ]; then
                    PIDS=$(pstree -p $(<"$PIDFILE") | awk -F'[\(\)]' '/^[A-Za-z0-9]/ { print $2" "$4; }')
                    if running "$PIDS" > /dev/null; then
                            "${DAEMON}" "${DAEMON_STOP}"
                            for PID in $PIDS; do
                                    if running $PID > /dev/null; then
                                            kill -TERM $PID
                                    fi
                            done
                    fi
                    COUNTDOWN=$TIMEOUT
                    while let COUNTDOWN--; do
                            if ! running "$PIDS" > /dev/null; then
                                    break
                            fi
                            if [ $COUNTDOWN -eq 0 ]; then
                                    for PID in $PIDS; do
                                            if running $PID > /dev/null; then
                                                    kill -KILL $PID
                                            fi
                                    done
                            else
                                    echo -n .
                                    sleep 1
                            fi
                    done
            fi

if running "$PIDS" > /dev/null; then
                    log_end_msg 1
            else
                    rm -f "$PIDFILE"
                    log_end_msg $?
            fi
    }

status() {
            echo -n "$NAME should be"
            if [ -r "$PIDFILE" ]; then
                    echo -n " up with primary PID $(<"$PIDFILE")"
                    PIDS=$(pstree -p $(<"$PIDFILE") | awk -F'[\(\)]' '/^[A-Za-z0-9]/ { print $2" "$4; }')
                    RUNNING=$(running "$PIDS")
                    if [[ $RUNNING && $RUNNING -gt 0 ]]; then
                            echo -n " and $RUNNING processes are running."
                    else
                            echo -n " but it is not running."
                    fi
            else
                    echo -n " stopped."
            fi
            echo
    }

case "${1:-}" in
            start)
                    start
            ;;
            stop)
                    stop
            ;;
            restart)
                    stop
                    start
            ;;
            status)
                    status
            ;;
            *)
                    log_success_msg "Usage: /etc/init.d/$NAME {start|stop|restart|status}"
                    exit 1
            ;;
    esac

exit 0

<<

devnull

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:51 am

Cerberus wrote:1) nope would defeat object of serviio if it went to sleep as it would then not be availible for devices on the network.

2) No thats just linux being silly.

Hi all.

I'd like to revisit the topic of serviio interferring with MBL standby. Standby is an attractive feature of this device. If no HDD activity happens for set time, the drive is spun down. For regular home use the box is in standby for long periods of time. Addition of serviio makes the HDD spin 24/7.

I found why this happens and how to prevent it. It so happened that the periodic idle file IO can be redirected to in-RAM filesystems /var/log or /tmp. Maybe the author can address this in a way cleaner than my hack and make serviio a 'better citizen' on low power devices.

For starters, automatic library rescan has to be disabled. Redirect serviio log to /var/log (duh!). This can be done by modifying config/log4j.xml. Change value of "File" parameter to "/var/log/serviio.log".

Standby feature is implemented by /usr/local/sbin/monitorio.sh. When run with ''debug' argument, this script shows detailed trace of process file IO. For serviio java process it displayed frequent accesses of files in ~/.java/.userPrefs. This directory is used by Java user preferences API java.util.prefs. Quick google search found that this API automatically and periodically saves preference key-value pairs to disk...

In addition serviio periodically wrote small ~/.dir file. Its content matches the saved preference in ~/.java/.userPrefs/com/nto/info/prefs.xml.

Periodic save of preferences appeared to be the only culprit so I just went ahead, created /var/log/serviio_prefs directory and two symlinks:
~/.java/.userPrefs -> /var/log/serviio_prefs
~/.dir -> /var/log/serviio_prefs/.dir

The device started entering standby mode again.

Note that the content of /var/log is lost each reboot so the creation of the links should be added to the /etc/init.d/serviio script.

I have no idea about the purpose of ~/.dir file and com.nto.info preferences. Placing them in RAM filesystem and recreating after reboot did not seem to create any problems though.

This issue was introduced between versions 0.6.2 and 1.3.1. 0.6.2 did not prevent standby as it was.

Cheers and thanks for creating the best media server out there.
<<

thejazzman

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:18 pm

Has anyone tried to update to version 1.4.x yet on their MBL?
<<

Paradox

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:57 am

I am new here, been using Serviio on my mac for some time now. I have a MBL and have been working to get transmission and flex get running to that my tv torrents can be automatically downloaded (so close but I'm not quite there).

My next step would be to get Serviio installed and running correctly, as the Twonky server is outdated and sux.

I'm running version 1.4 on the MBL, any chance anyone has Serviio up and running? Also, does anyone have Transmission/Flexget for downloading RSS feed torrents?

After reading all 9 pages of this forum post....im afraid.. hahaha

Thanks for everyone's help and I can't wait to start contributing.
<<

alexal

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:43 am

<<

remus_ads

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:53 am

Hello,
I've recently installed serviio on MyBook Live 1Tb and i have some issues.
Given that I'm not at all familiar with linux, I've installed ver. 1.2.1 using this tutorial http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live ... d-p/567324
It worked fine for a few days, but now every time I try to connect via dlna to it, the tv/blu ray displays an error message that says Cannot display this type of file.
If i reboot via ssh serviio using /etc/init.d/serviio restart command, it usually works. Sometimes this alone doesn't work, and i have to go to the serviio console and select the tv/bly-ray's manufacturer (in my case it's LG).
My questions are
1. why does it do that? Because it's very annoying having to restart the server every time I want to watch something, and it takes a lot of time
2. how can I upgrade the server from 1.2.1 to 1.4.1.2?
3. if i upgrade will it still be compatible with the console?

I should mention that I stream only video files from the WD MyBook Live
Thank you in advance
<<

jonhallewell

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:17 am

Hi,
I've been trying to install serviio on my MBL following the guide by cerberus here:
http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=install_wd

When I try to install Java I get this:
MyBookLive:~# apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package sun-java6-jdk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package sun-java6-jdk has no installation candidate

Can anyone help me? I'm new to this.
Previous

Return to NAS installation