FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

LG BD390 subtitles don't work

<<

djensen22

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:17 pm

LG BD390 subtitles don't work

I've searched through the forums and read all of the posts about the LG players and subtitles, but I still cannot get mine to work. Has anyone been able to get their LG BD390 bluray player to read subtitles through Serviio? Subtitles work fine with Mezzmo. I am using the LG TV / player profile. The debug log seems to show that the player requests the subtitles, and I do not see any errors in the debug log. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 am

Re: LG BD390 subtitles don't work

There is a tool to fix srt files linked on the wiki, try that
<<

djensen22

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:20 pm

There's nothing wrong with the srt files. They work fine through Mezzmo and through USB.
<<

djensen22

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:07 pm

I ran some SRT subtitles through SRTWiz, and they now work with Serviio. Incredible, because the old and fixed files appear to be identical. I had to download a tool to compare the old and fixed files to see the difference. The difference in all of the SRT files is the same, there is a strange character at the start of every SRT file that gets removed by the SRTWiz tool. It's very strange, though, because Mezzmo does not seem to care about that strange character, but Serviio does. If Serviio could be modified to ignore that first character, then all of my files would work fine, just as they do in Mezzmo. I am not sure why Mezzmo seems to process all of my files fine, but Serviio requires the SRTWiz to clean up the files first. Maybe a thought for a future revision of Serviio?

The attached pic shows the strange character at the start of the SRT file that apparently Serviio cannot process or ignore.
Attachments
Subtitle strange character.jpg
Subtitle strange character.jpg (10.1 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
<<

djensen22

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:07 pm

I did some more research about the strange character at the start of all of the SRT files. It is called a BOM (Byte Order Mark) character. Here is a link to a description...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

Basically, the BOM character is considered a standard in SRT files, and so that is why most of my downloads have it. Mezzmo has the ability to recognize the BOM and act accordingly. Serviio apparently does not. That is the issue here.

Zip, please let me know your thoughts on this. It would be great if a future revision of Serviio had the ability to recognize the BOM character in subtitle files. This would allow many more subtitle files to be read properly, without the need to modify them. Thanks for your consideration of this issue. :)

Return to LG