FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Updates for the new "Q" series Samsungs?

<<

kenbam

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:22 am

Updates for the new "Q" series Samsungs?

i have tried some of the xml code i have found on here.. none seem to work..

can we expect an update for the Q series.

Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:24 am

Re: Updates for the new "Q" series Samsungs?

Unless someone with that series TV can offer some support information, there's nothing the developer can do to create a profile. Can you be more specific about what isn't working, and what profiles you tried?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

rrobert

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:11 am

I have a Q series and I am not sure if it is hte latest version of Serviio or my Q series TV, but all MKV are not working at all.

It was working on my older Samsung.

What can we do to support the development of the Q series?
<<

rrobert

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:00 am

I am more than happy to help create a profile if someone contacts me on what to do. For the time being I have moved to PLEX media server and am using the PLEX app from the samsung store. (Note PLEX DNLA server is causing the same issues with the SAMSUNG Q series native DNLA player) Note 2 - I hate PLEX already.

As soon as we get Serviio up and running I am coming back.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Can you tell me your specific model TV? Just saying Q series isn't specific enough. I'm looking at the manual for the Q900R series, and MKV appears to be a supported container. Of course, it could depend on the codecs within the container. We probably need to know that as well.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

rrobert

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:17 pm

mine is the Samsung QN55Q7FNA

I am actually about to test out the N profile that someone posted in the Samsung forum to see if that works (converts DTS). But if someone tells me what info you need to know or what tests I can do, then I am more than happy to help out the community with testing.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:57 pm

OK, it appears that Samsung calls this their Q900R series, so I was looking at the correct manual. I notice the manual has no reference to DLNA support, which doesn't surprise me. Samsung's DLNA support has never been the greatest, and they seem to be letting it slide more with every model.

So, the main issue we need to discover is what audio and video codes are in your media. The chart in the manual is specific to USB playback, which may or may not match what it's capable of via DLNA. But we'll stick with what the manual says for now. For audio, it supports DD, DD+, LPCM, AAC, HE-AAC, WMA, MP3, AC-4, G.711 and OPUS. I don't even know what those last three are. For containers, it supports all the obvious ones: AVI, MKV, ASF, 3GP, MOV, FLV, VRO, VOB, PS, TS and SVAF. Again a couple I don't recognize. It also appears to support a wide range of video codecs.

So, most likely we're running into audio issues, or you have some oddball codec. See the link in my sig and get the media information for videos that will not play, and then any that will play. We need to see what works and what doesn't. Since it's a 4K TV, it should be able to handle high video bitrates, so throttling the bitrate shouldn't be necessary. If your files have DTS, that's most likely the culprit. However, my Samsung will usually play a supported video and just have no sound of the audio isn't supported. But again, Samsung is terrible with their DLNA support, so hard to say.

My personal opinion: if you aren't concerned with lossless audio playback (not using an AVR for your sound), then either a Roku Premiere or Fire TV Stick 4K offers 4K video support and both play well with DLNA (I believe Roku does better, but don't have current experience with the Fire TV). Either of them are under $50. I bought a Premiere last week for $30 at Fred Meyer (local Kroger store). If you want your lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD/Atmos, DTS Master Audio:X) then you need an AVR for the audio and an Nvidia Shield for your player.
Dan

<<

rrobert

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:55 am

I actually have a 4K Amazon Fire and run VLC through that - and that works perfectly with Serviio and all the videos. It is just extra clicks to get to the app (maybe about 4 extra clicks + an extra box), instead of using the Samsung apps or DNLA player.

Unfortunately I can not download VLC through the Samsung App store

My older Samsung (C class) works perfectly with all the videos and Serviio - it is just annoying that Samsung seems to be releasing new products that are fubar.

I tried the updated N profile and the same issues are seen - either spinning circle for loading or blank screen
<<

Diabhalta

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Apologies for the thread necro but I'm having the exact same issue with my new QE43Q60RA across a variety of files / codecs.

Did anyone find a solution outside of additional hardware?

Many thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:15 am

Diabhalta wrote:Apologies for the thread necro but I'm having the exact same issue with my new QE43Q60RA across a variety of files / codecs.

Did anyone find a solution outside of additional hardware?

Many thanks

I don't think anyone has brought this up since then. I just bought a new NU7100, and it still has DLNA support. But I don't use it, as I mentioned before the Samsung user interface for playing from a DLNA server is terrible. You are far better off buying an inexpensive Roku or Fire TV device, or for better support for codecs and lossless audio get the more expensive Nvidia Shield. But for simple TV only playback (no AVR attached) the Roku or Fire work quite well. Or even one of the inexpensive Android players available online for $25-50. Install Kodi (which is free) and have a great DLNA playback experience.
Dan

Return to Samsung