FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Video files stop playing after a few minutes

<<

kn3z

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:57 pm

Video files stop playing after a few minutes

Hi guys!

First off, I'd like to say I've been using Serviio for several years and I absolutely love it. But starting a few weeks back, I started having this problem. The video playback stops after a few minutes, the TV displays "Please check your network connection" error and I am back on folder view on Serviio. So, Serviio itself does not gets disconnected, only the file playback. I start the file again, and after a few minutes it happens again. First thought if was due to the new 2.3 version of Serviio, but when I downgraded back to 2.2, the issue remained.

I have a Samsung NEO QE65QN95AATXXH TV, a Ubee EVW32C router (wire connection to TV) and I use Serviio to watch video files off my desktop (also connected via wire to the router and running Windows 10) on TV.

Browsing through the Forum, I've found that this may be connected to Multicast/IGMP settings on the router. The only options I see on my router interface are "Multicast enable" and "UPnP ENable" and by default, the both were on. When I switch them off, the issue persists, only in that case the break comes after about 5 minutes, instead of the 2 or 3 with the features on.

Only error I see in the logs is [WebServer] I/O error: Connection reset by peer: socket write error, but those appear in the logs also while the file seems to be playing OK.

I am at my wit's end here and you guys are my only hope.

Logs are attached, the TV is 192.168.0.11, my desktop 192.168.0.15.

Thanks!

--kn3z
Attachments
logs.zip
In serviioMCon.log break happend around 13:19:04, in serviioMCoff.log around 13:52:14
(110.47 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
routerMCoff.jpg
Router settings with MC off
routerMCoff.jpg (64.46 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
routerMCon.jpg
Router settings with MC on
routerMCon.jpg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
<<

dlzc

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:54 pm

Re: Video files stop playing after a few minutes

I had forgotten to tell my serving PC to never go to sleep with inactivity, nor to hibernate. You likely do not have this problem. But what OS are you running? I had to get updated 22H2 on Windows 11 to get my media served smoothly.
<<

kn3z

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:47 pm

I have a 64-bit Windows 10 Enterprise. It's not set to go sleep or anything. I've been using Serviio for years and not had any problems until a few weeks ago.
This is just driving me insane.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:11 am

While your computer might never sleep, I have seen network devices and USB ports go into sleep mode. You can change those setting per device within the Device Manager applet. Select the specific device (such as the network adapter you're using) and open the Properties menu. In theory they are not supposed to sleep while in use, but this is Microsoft.

That said, I've never had any issues with playback on my Windows 10 Pro servers. They often stream for hours at a time. You might be experiencing a network issue that is breaking the connection. Is there any consistency to the occurrence? Does it seem to happen at the same time of day? Any other thing that might tie into an external issue, separate from the Serviio computer?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kn3z

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:22 am

atc98092 wrote:While your computer might never sleep, I have seen network devices and USB ports go into sleep mode. You can change those setting per device within the Device Manager applet. Select the specific device (such as the network adapter you're using) and open the Properties menu. In theory they are not supposed to sleep while in use, but this is Microsoft.

My setup is just my TV playing files off my computer's hard drive. The only device that might be having such issues was the network adapter. In Properties, under Power Management it had "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I disabled it, rebooted, played a video file, and playback was broken again 2 minutes in. So, it isn't this.

atc98092 wrote:That said, I've never had any issues with playback on my Windows 10 Pro servers. They often stream for hours at a time. You might be experiencing a network issue that is breaking the connection. Is there any consistency to the occurrence? Does it seem to happen at the same time of day? Any other thing that might tie into an external issue, separate from the Serviio computer?

I also never had any issues until a few weeks ago, playing movies and binging shows, with Serviio working fine for hours on end.
I also suspect that it is something external (to Serviio) causing the breaks, like the router settings, or my bandwidth being filled up, but have found nothing obvious in the logs. My hope was that someone here would be able to see something I couldn't.
The breaks happen from about 2 minutes in to about 6 or 7 minutes max. They don't seem to coincide with the time of day, but, I guess, could be caused by something that happens, say, every 7 minutes, and then it depends at what point of the cycle I started playback.
Also, my connection to my Serviio server does not break, only the playback does. When it breaks, I am back on the folder view, I can start the playback again, but then again, it breaks too, after a few minutes.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:33 pm

Yeah, really sounds like something external to your Serviio computer. Perhaps your router updated its firmware, and some setting was changed. Make sure any uPNP setting is enabled. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Samsung