FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

samsung UE40C7700 DLNA and mac

<<

vigaga

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:08 pm

samsung UE40C7700 DLNA and mac

i am trying to connect my samsung TV to my iMac (OS 10.6.6) using DLNA. i am using an airport extreme and in WDS mode an airport express connected with cable to the TV.

i have tried different servers, e.g. twonky, tvmobili, media monkey, eyeconnect and now serviio.
with eyeconnect i can watch movies (divx, mp4, but not .mov) in iTunes or in a separate folder and pictures in iPhoto. in very rare moments i have also sound from iTunes AAC files (using the converter plugin), but mostly i just see the progress bar of playing without sound. eyeconnect tends also to break the connection randomly.

so i thought serviio would be an alternative, possibly not having the AAC sound problem. it actually connects according to the console window to my Samsung DTV DMR, the profile is C-series). in the firewall i allowed connection to the TV. unfortunately, in contrast to eyeconnect and other servers tested, using serviio on the TV i do not see a connection to DLNA.
i am novice in this field an i would appreciate any hint what i am doing wrong.
thanks a lot
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: samsung UE40C7700 DLNA and mac

few things to try.

1. Read FAQ pages

2. check all portfording on your router.

3. try connecting pc directly to tv and see if it works then.

4. manualy set the bound IP in the console.

once tried please post your findings here.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:30 pm

EyeConnect is most likely blocking the 1900 UDP port, you'll have to uninstall it.
<<

vigaga

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:11 pm

thanks cerberus and zip for the quick answers!
1. in the FAQ i did not find any related topic, most people seem not to have that difficulty i have
2. using an airport extreme i do not know how to forward ports. UpnP is also used by eyeconnect and seems to work.
3. i don't like so much to move my computer close to the TV since eyeconnect works (more or less)
4. i set the bound IP in the console without success
5. i disabled the startup items for eyeconnect, restarted but no success
any other hints are welcome.....
<<

zip

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:18 pm

post the log
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:26 pm

vigaga wrote:thanks cerberus and zip for the quick answers!
1. in the FAQ i did not find any related topic, most people seem not to have that difficulty i have

ok
2. using an airport extreme i do not know how to forward ports. UpnP is also used by eyeconnect and seems to work.

google is your friend: http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-port-for ... e-capsule/
3. i don't like so much to move my computer close to the TV since eyeconnect works (more or less)

do you want us to help you get it working ? if yes dont just dismiss a task as all tasks help us dettermin exactly what ur problem is.
4. i set the bound IP in the console without success

remember you can not just set ANY ip it has to be the ip of teh computer serviio is running on..
5. i disabled the startup items for eyeconnect, restarted but no success

do exactly as requested and uninstall it or as with number 2 it makes it impossible to help if you dont do exactly as requested..
any other hints are welcome.....

not yet no until you follow the above steps...
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

vigaga

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:03 pm

whereas the serviio console shows my TV with a green dot, i do not see a connection on the TV.
eyeconnect works, exept for the problems mentioned (listening to music with the built in TV speakers is anyway not overwhelming).
i am therefore giving up installing serviio for the moment, despite its promising look, since...

2. google was not my friend, the link given does not relate to my older airport extreme preferences and i could not see how to forward ports...
3. connecting the computer directly (using ethernet) to the TV did not change the situation...
4. i did not use ANY IP, but the one of the computer running the server...
5. i completely removed eyeconnect (unfortunately, there is no uninstaller so i deleted all files related) with no luck (serviio still not working)...
6.i also tried the other profiles without success...

thanks a lot zip and cerberus for your proposals anyway!
<<

vigaga

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:14 pm

for zip
when i start the server after having stopped, i get the following console messages:

02.02.11 14:11:01 [0x0-0xa00a0].Serviio[1145] Exception in thread "ServioThread-24-DiscoverySSDPMessageListener" java.lang.NullPointerException
02.02.11 14:11:01 [0x0-0xa00a0].Serviio[1145] at org.serviio.util.MultiCastUtils.getInterfaceName(MultiCastUtils.java:131)

i don't know if this could help you...
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:31 pm

vigaga wrote:whereas the serviio console shows my TV with a green dot, i do not see a connection on the TV.
eyeconnect works, exept for the problems mentioned (listening to music with the built in TV speakers is anyway not overwhelming).
i am therefore giving up installing serviio for the moment, despite its promising look, since...

2. google was not my friend, the link given does not relate to my older airport extreme preferences and i could not see how to forward ports...
3. connecting the computer directly (using ethernet) to the TV did not change the situation...
4. i did not use ANY IP, but the one of the computer running the server...
5. i completely removed eyeconnect (unfortunately, there is no uninstaller so i deleted all files related) with no luck (serviio still not working)...
6.i also tried the other profiles without success...

thanks a lot zip and cerberus for your proposals anyway!

great that helps alot more thank you for that :)

2) Ok can i have the model number of your airport then and i will dig out the info for you :)

3) Thats very odd and makes 2 and 4 unlikely too but worth getting that doen at same time :)

4) Ok cool had to check as this mistake has been made before.

5) Can you also Unistall any other media server type software you may have installed too please like samsungs pcshare, as im certain its somethig on your pc that is causing this now, thanks to you doing part 2.

6) Samsung C series profile is the one you want for your tv i have a LE40C750 myself and it works great and your is just the LED version of mine :)

7) As an extra thought if you are connecting wirelessly have you tried disabling the wired network port andf then restarting serviio just incase its locking on to the wrong port.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

vigaga

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:12 pm

thanks cerberus

2. the (old) apple airport model number is A1034 (only /g speed)
5. i have XBMC installed (i think this has probably also a server feature) but no other media server (don't know if front row implements one). since i work with macs, i do not have samsung pcshare installed. should i really uninstall XBMC?
6. ok, i'll stay with that
7. the wireless network was disabled when i connected directly to the TV and there is no cabled network when i am in wireless mode

btw. the problem is identical using serviio from a macbook pro as well as from an iMac intel core 2 duo. since eyeconnect works and also uses UPnP ports, the airports seems to allow forwarding and as you said, point 3 makes 2. and 4. unlikely.
if i start serviio with the TV powered off, there is a red point in the console window. after switching the TV on and restarting the server, the point gets green. so i think there must be a connection, i just don't get the icon on the TV for linking to it...

i am not absolutely shure if i did the direct connection to the TV correctly. could you specify the corresponding network preference settings and i'll try again if necessary.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:17 pm

vigaga wrote:thanks cerberus

2. the (old) apple airport model number is A1034 (only /g speed)
5. i have XBMC installed (i think this has probably also a server feature) but no other media server (don't know if front row implements one). since i work with macs, i do not have samsung pcshare installed. should i really uninstall XBMC?
6. ok, i'll stay with that
7. the wireless network was disabled when i connected directly to the TV and there is no cabled network when i am in wireless mode

btw. the problem is identical using serviio from a macbook pro as well as from an iMac intel core 2 duo. since eyeconnect works and also uses UPnP ports, the airports seems to allow forwarding and as you said, point 3 makes 2. and 4. unlikely.
if i start serviio with the TV powered off, there is a red point in the console window. after switching the TV on and restarting the server, the point gets green. so i think there must be a connection, i just don't get the icon on the TV for linking to it...

i am not absolutely shure if i did the direct connection to the TV correctly. could you specify the corresponding network preference settings and i'll try again if necessary.

wow that is odd serviio is seeing the TV if that icon is going green so there is no reason why the TV shouldnt now see serviio.

have you changed any of the settings on the TV? or is it exactly as it came ?
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

vigaga

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:32 pm

it asked my to update the software. i think it was 303 (?). did it directly over the internet. and as said, eyeconnect and (as far as i remember) the twonky and tvmobili etc. icons also showed on TV (after the update). funny, isn't it?????
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:52 pm

yer very odd. let me have a think and see if i can come up with any other reasons it wouldnt work..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

zip

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:44 pm

The fact that Serviio sees the TV doesn't mean the TV sees Serviio ;-) It only means that the TV doesn't have any firewall and Serviio can connect to it. Can you post the log? I think Serviio is probably binding to a wrong IP address.
<<

vigaga

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:54 am

using net monitor i see that eyeconnect uses ports 1025, 33435,33436 and 33437 on the iMac connecting to the TV.
with serviio on the MBP (without eyeconnect installed) i do not see a connection to the TV at all.

attached the log file (i did set DEBUG mode)
Attachments
serviio.zip
(4.96 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
<<

zip

Post Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:03 am

Is 192.168.1.2 your Mac IP address? Are you sure there is no firewall installed on it blocking ports UDP 1900 and TCP 8895?
<<

vigaga

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:22 am

192.168.1.2 is not the MPB IP!

192.168.1.1 zyxel router ADSL
192.168.1.34 airport extreme
192.168.1.38 airport express WDS
192.168.1.33 iMac
192.168.1.36 samsung TV
192.168.1.37 MBP (computer where serviio runs)

i do not know what IP that is, can't ping to it... i switched off my computer firewall, no success
also binding to 192.168.1.37 in the console window doesn't help
<<

zip

Post Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 am

vigaga wrote:also binding to 192.168.1.37 in the console window doesn't help

It should. Post the new log.
<<

vigaga

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:02 pm

still no icon on TV, here the log:
Attachments
serviio bound.zip
(4.82 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
<<

zip

Post Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:49 pm

ok, it now binds to the proper IP address and I don't see any errors. It just doesn't receive any requests from the TV, which means there must be a firewall somewhere blocking UDP 1900 or TCP 8895.
Next

Return to Samsung