FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NormanSecuritySuite + Samsung connection issue (fixed)

<<

TheDutchess

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:53 pm

NormanSecuritySuite + Samsung connection issue (fixed)

Been running Serviio for a few years and very happily so, and never had any real trouble until we got our new Samsung HT-J5500 (soundsystem). Had some trouble locating it with Serviio when we first plugged it in, but with some hassle we managed to connect it and everything worked fine. Now suddenly the device can't connect to Serviio anymore. The IP for the device was still in the Serviio list, but after removing it from the list it won't come back.

-We've tried disabling the virusscan/firewall, with no luck.
-We've tried pinging the device, and the PC's (both of them, both with the same issue of Serviio not seeing the device anymore, can ping the deivce with no issue)
-Tried a fresh installation of java (as I found someone with a similar issue where this worked), no luck.
-Even tried Samsung Link in a desperate attempt to connect.... no luck.

Note that the TV upstairs (F6400) still connects with no issue at all.

Both devices and both PC's are connected wired, so it's not a wireless issue.

As we'd like to be able to watch stuff from our PC's downstairs as well (and the tv there is old and not smart yet), can anyone help and tell us what is going wrong in connecting the HT-J5500 with the PC's here, because we're at our wits' end?
Last edited by TheDutchess on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

TheDutchess

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:58 am

Re: Serviio can (suddenly) not find a certain device (firewa

Update:

The TV upstairs (F6400) went and got itself a software update and guess what.... now it's stopped seeing serviio as well.

We've also managed to ascertain that it is after all a firewall issue. Closing down serviio completely, then killing the firewall and restarting serviio actually made the devices show up again (whereas simply killing the firewall did nothing at all).

We've checked the firewall settings and there is absolutely nothing at all in the firewall rule-editor (at least I think that'll be what the english translation of it is), nor in the ports-viewer, nor in the logs that is NOT opened and NOT getting through, so we have no clue what to do to stop the firewall from stopping serviio (and everything else trying to share for streaming, it's even blocking Windows Media Player from sharing) getting through.

Firewall: Norman Security Suite

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this (other than the obvious "kill the firewall when you're watching stuff and get a different security provider asap")?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:12 pm

I believe Serviio needs several ports opened in the firewall. I know for sure it needs 23424, but I'm pretty sure DLNA requires some as well. Since my computer is only on my home network, I have the firewall completely disabled. Naturally, if I connected to something bad on the Internet I run a risk, but since in general I don't surf much on that particular computer I'm not overly concerned.

EDIT: Here's the Serviio FAQ that lists the ports required. Don't forget 23424 as well, although I believe that is just for MediaBrowser access. http://www.serviio.org/component/conten ... e?id=21#q1

Code:
Also make sure that TCP port 8895 and UDP 1900 are open in your firewall.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

TheDutchess

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:03 am

atc98092 wrote:I believe Serviio needs several ports opened in the firewall. I know for sure it needs 23424, but I'm pretty sure DLNA requires some as well. Since my computer is only on my home network, I have the firewall completely disabled. Naturally, if I connected to something bad on the Internet I run a risk, but since in general I don't surf much on that particular computer I'm not overly concerned.

EDIT: Here's the Serviio FAQ that lists the ports required. Don't forget 23424 as well, although I believe that is just for MediaBrowser access. http://www.serviio.org/component/conten ... e?id=21#q1

Code:
Also make sure that TCP port 8895 and UDP 1900 are open in your firewall.

From firewall:
Port 8895 TCP Open (in LAN) Java Platform (checking the line that's Serviio) "bound adapter" (whatever that might be): random
Port 23424 TCP Open (in LAN) Java Platform (checking the line that's Serviio) "bound adapter" (whatever that might be): random

Port 1900 doesn't show up in the list at all, not as open and not as closed.

As mentioned before, in the rule editor everything is opened too, with both Java and Serviio having full rights to use any local port, any external port, any IP adress and allowed to have server rights.

Also can't find a single thing being 'blocked' in any way in the realtime log.

Norman doesn't allow the opening of ports through anything other than the rule editor (at least not as far as I can find either in the program itself or in the (somewhat old) pdf user guide I found for it), so I'm rather stumped as to what else to try here, as I can't find anything being blocked.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:35 pm

I believe port 1900 is where the broadcast announcements are issued from, so that's probably the one that's blocking access. Remember this a UDP port, not TCP, so perhaps Norton lists those ports separately. I can't help with your firewall config, as I have no knowledge of yours.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

TheDutchess

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:17 am

Update:

Port 1900 is still nowhere to be found, but we've managed to fix things anyways.

In case anyone else ever finds themselves using Norman Security Suite (note, this is Norman, not Norton), here's the solution:
Find the rule giving Java (Java (TM) Platform SE binary (Oracle America, Inc.)) permissions and tell it to allow access to the internet/network through other applications and add ServiioConsole and ServiioService to the 'list' of applications.
If you're having trouble finding the correct rule, turn off the firewall, start up something from your computer on your tv through serviio and turn the firewall back on, then look at the logs to see what rule is being used then to allow access.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: NormanSecuritySuite + Samsung connection issue (fixed)

Thanks for the update, as well as pointing out it was Norman, not Norton. Hadn't heard of them myself.
Dan

Return to Samsung