FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung JU6000 + Pioneer VSX 930 + Serviio

<<

obli

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Samsung JU6000 + Pioneer VSX 930 + Serviio

Hi guys,

I'm new to playing around with AV receivers, so I have a question for you.

My system is:
Samsung 65" JU6000 series,
Pioneer VSX 930 Network receiver
PC with Serviio

for now I've set up a home network, where my PC and TV are both connected to the router. PC is running Serviio media library and the TV is gladly displaying and playing it.
tomorrow I will get the AV receiver, and I'm trying to figure out the correct way to set up the system.

what i want to achieve:
i want the TV to be connected to the media library on the PC (music + video)
i want the Receiver to process music + video and then send video to the TV and audio to the connected Speakers.

dilemma:
1) if i choose what files to playback on the TV, that means that the TV will be processing the file and then displaying the video on screen, and decoding and sending audio to receiver. (we are trying to achieve that receiver does the decoding for both)
2) if i understood correctly, the receiver can't be connected to the Serviio media library - to be confirmed (otherwise this would solve all issues)
3) if i connect my PC to receiver via HDMI cable, then it is a stream job basically? Meaning the PC will be playing all the files that I'm sending to the receiver via HDMI.

any suggestions or help would be appreciated
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Re: Samsung JU6000 + Pioneer VSX 930 + Serviio

If the TV is the only component, then there's not much to connect. I'm unfamiliar with the Pioneer so I pulled up the specs.

Connect the Pioneer to your network. It is DLNA certified, so should be able to play your music directly without going through the TV. I have no idea what the user interface looks like, so it's possible it's still preferable to use the TV as your audio player.

Connect the TV to the AVR with an HDMI cable to the HDMI 4 jack on the One Connect Mini box. This provides the Audio Return Channel (ARC) to send all audio from the TV back to the AVR. If ARC has issues (works fine for me) then you can always use the optical out from the TV to the AVR.

Make sure HDMI Control is enabled on both the TV and the AVR. This way when you turn one on, the other turns on (or off) as well. On the TV this is called AnyNet+.

Using the TV as your media player, there is no way to play any of the higher quality audio sources (FLAC, WMA Lossless, Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio). The TV can only process standard Dolby Digital and DTS audio and send it back through the ARC to the AVR. The only way to get that is to use some other player, plugged directly into the AVR. My Sony Blu-Ray player supports Master Audio (but for some reason, not TrueHD: older players did), so most of my Blu-Ray rips provide the full HD audio, along with the HD video. The Roku does not pass HD audio, although they have a new Roku 4 that supports 4K video, so perhaps they added the ability to pass the full audio bitstream as well.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

obli

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:09 pm

thanks for your reply atc,

actually the TV supports FLAC (which is what my music is stored in).

my problem is - i like that the way Serviio and TV are creating the media library.
there is no issue with music as far as i'm concerned.

the issue is with video: should i bother with setting the video to pass through the AVR? or the TV (which came out this year) quality of video processing should be superior to the AVR?

thats the thing: i always figured AVR enhances the video quality when compared to the TV capability
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:48 pm

obli wrote:thanks for your reply atc,

actually the TV supports FLAC (which is what my music is stored in).

my problem is - i like that the way Serviio and TV are creating the media library.
there is no issue with music as far as i'm concerned.

the issue is with video: should i bother with setting the video to pass through the AVR? or the TV (which came out this year) quality of video processing should be superior to the AVR?

thats the thing: i always figured AVR enhances the video quality when compared to the TV capability

The TV may support FLAC, but I believe it will downconvert it to send out via ARC or optical. it would likely play through the TV speakers, but doubt you could tell the quality difference there! :lol:

I don't think there's any way for the video from the TV to be passed through the AVR. I don't believe the AVR can stream the video from Serviio to the TV, I believe only audio is supported. So if the TV is your media player, the video remains on the TV and is never processed by the AVR.

As far as the TV "enhancing" the video, it will depend on the source. If you are feeding a Blu-Ray player, or something like a Roku or cable/satellite box, it is generally wise to not let the AVR do any processing. This is because the TV is going to upconvert everything to 4K, and if the AVR is also converting you often get undesirable results. Few, if any, AVRs have video processors as good as the TV has. It's best to put the AVR in video passthough and let the TV handle any additional processing.

Of course, there are exceptions to this, but not for any AVR that costs under a couple thousand dollars. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

obli

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:54 pm

So far I've stopped on the following:

I will have the TV serve as media player for video files with audio going through AVR and on to speakers.

I will fiddle around with Serviio and AVR with regards to music playback, but if that means I'll have to manually go to the computer and click on what song to play its a no go (since I figured there's no "library" with AVR).

On the other hand I don't think the TV will downconvert a FLAC file. It has built in lossless playback, and converting anything will take time too.
Obviously the TV speakers sound horrendous :'(

Thanks for your help
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:23 pm

obli wrote:So far I've stopped on the following:

I will have the TV serve as media player for video files with audio going through AVR and on to speakers.

I will fiddle around with Serviio and AVR with regards to music playback, but if that means I'll have to manually go to the computer and click on what song to play its a no go (since I figured there's no "library" with AVR).

On the other hand I don't think the TV will downconvert a FLAC file. It has built in lossless playback, and converting anything will take time too.
Obviously the TV speakers sound horrendous :'(

Thanks for your help

You'll have to see how the AVR handles the Serviio library. My guess is it will display something on the TV, but I don't know that for sure. You would navigate the audio library with the AVR remote, not the TV.

Yes, the TV would likely play the FLAC file without conversion. But to send it out via ARC or optical, it may have to covert it to something. Perhaps just PCM and it is sent at full resolution. However, my guess is it will somehow degrade the sound. Would it be noticeable? I have no idea. But the TV cannot send anything other than PCM, Dolby Digital or DTS out via optical or ARC. And it's highly possible that the PCM it sends is 2 channel, so any multi-channel FLAC files would be downgraded.
Dan

Return to Samsung