FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung tv profiles

<<

anachron

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:07 am

Samsung tv profiles

Hello,

After reading a bit the forum, i was wondering why the letter in the model is used to select a profil to apply to samsung TVs.

I mean, according to Samsung (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1052003), the letter only determine the year of the model, but the number determine the serie. For example the SAMSUNG UE50J6200 SMART tv can't play H.265 files while the SAMSUNG UE50J6300 SMART can. Same thing for the H6200 vs H6400 models.

Not sure what would be the best solution but just pointing this out in case it can make things easier for serviio users.

Have a nice day.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:22 pm

Re: Samsung tv profiles

I can understand this, but in general the TV's year is more indicative of the TV's capabilities than the model. It would be far more work to build profiles for a specific model, as the developer obviously doesn't have access to every model of every TV.

What works the best is for the community here to help identify the sort of thing you just pointed out, and help create specific profiles for that model. Zip is quite open to using profiles developed here to be included in updates to Serviio. And of course you can always build your own profile that is tailored to your specific device. I'm doing that right now with the Roku 4, and if I can get some feedback from other users it might be worth including in Serviio as well.

Remember that if you build your own profile that it will go away whenever Serviio is updated. This is because Serviio will always replace the profiles file with the latest version. Just remember to save your profile in a separate file and add it back in after the update. :)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

anachron

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Ok, thanks for the answer. I don't use any personnal profil as i deactivate transcoding, my tv (UE40H6400) being able to play all recent format i came across better than my NAS, especially with subtitles involved. But thanks for the advice anyway :)

I was wondering if samsung was constant in is series denominations. For example, It seems that both J and H models of the 6x00 series have almost the same capabilities, ie models with series number between 6000 and 6200 included can't read H.265, while 6300+ can. So i thought that maybe some kind of rule could be applied to have better profile compatibility as just using the year of fabrication seemed to vast. But indeed Samsung have really a lot of different models. From what i could gather it start from 4000 all the way up to 8000 with a bunch of models for each series.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:52 am

I think Samsung just likes to tweak us ;)

I had an HU8550 for a little while, before they replaced it with the JU7100. With the change to the Tizen OS, there were a large number of overall changes in the TV, but overall DLNA functionality remained about the same. I do think the JU7100 handles the higher bitrate videos better than the HU did, even though they both support H.265. However, it's till enough of an annoyance that I use my Sony BD player more often for my local content. I'll continue to use the TV apps for Netflix and Amazon, since I can get 4K video there. Although, I also bought a Roku 4, and it seems to do 4K video as well as, if not better than, the current TV apps.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Samsung