FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Apparent limit in 0.5.2

<<

wagstaff

Serviio lover

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 am

Apparent limit in 0.5.2

There appears to be some limitation in the number of files indexed that has been introduced in v0.5.2 of Serviio. I have not yet been able to determine exactly what the limit is (due to the time needed for indexing), but I continue to narrow down that number. When the limit is reached, my media renderer (Samsung UN46C6900) does not return anything and reverts back to the main menu on-screen multiple times before finally displaying the desired information. I have detailed logging of the event which I have uploaded. The event occurs around time index "2011-04-17 05:43" with the discovery of the TV, and ends around time index "2011-04-17 06:16" with the eventual successful sending of information back to the media renderer.

Steps to re-create issue:
1.) Perform fresh install of Serviio v0.5.2
2.) Configure Serviio to index my complete media collection (approx. 5 hours)
3.) Attempt to access media collection from renderer - select 'Music - Artists'
4.) Receive error message on renderer screen saying: "Request cannot be completed"
5.) Repeat step 3, receive same error
6.) Repeat step 3 again, now listing works

I have done a complete uninstall, and a re-install of the 0.5.2 Serviio software three times (including a second download of the Serviio software to eliminate the possibility of a bad version having been downloaded originally) to verify that there was no corruption. The error is always reproducible.

From the detailed log you can see where the first attempt at returning the artist list only completes through the letter "I" and then abruptly ends. On the second attempt, you can see where the listing picks up with the letter "J" and gets all the way to "Z" and then abruptly ends. Finally, you can see where, on the third attempt, the listing is returned to the renderer.

I reverted the software to Serviio v0.5.1, and the above described behavior does not exist. I then re-installed the v0.5.2 Serviio software and had it index only a small portion of my media collection. In this case, the 0.5.2 software performs as expected and the aberrant behavior does not manifest itself. When I configure it to index the entire collection again, the same bad behavior as described above returns.

My suspicions then ran to the possibility that the v0.5.2 software was having trouble indexing some part of my media collection that the v0.5.1 version did not have any trouble with. After scanning through nearly 400MB of detailed log information, I see no indication that the v0.5.2 software had any trouble with any of the media, although, admittedly, the scanning was not as thorough as it could have been due to the large volume to be scanned. I continue to search for any smoking guns in the detailed v0.5.2 logs.

Additional information:
OS: Windows Server 2003 with all available service packs and security patches applied.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400S
RAM: 4GB
Java: v1.6.0_21
Available diskspace on Serviio drive: 6.8GB
RAM used by ServiioService.exe: 2.3MB and 107MB (two instances of this exe have been present since v0.4.2 - not sure why)
Serviio Console not left running so that log4j rollover will occur.

Hopefully this posting answers most of the usual questions that get asked when Serviio is having issues. Please let me know if there are additional details I can provide. Meanwhile, I think I will revert to v0.5.1.

EDIT: I neglected to say that this behavior occurs on all available menu selections (Artists, Genres, Titles, etc.).
Attachments
serviio_error.zip
Detailed log showing bug in Serviio 0.5.2
(55.99 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Joe Philipp
Samsung UN46C6900 | Windows Server 2003 SP2 | Mac OS X 10.5.8 | Kubuntu/Ubuntu 11.04
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Apparent limit in 0.5.2

The reason why it asks for A-I J-Z etc. is because the TV asks for 20 items (look at the Browse requests in the log), first starting at 0, then 20, etc - like a pagination. I'm not sure why it gives you error message though.

The only thing new in 0.5.2 is the Samsung profile. Could you remove <DeviceDescription> block from the Samsung C/D profile and try again? You will lose the extended Samsung integration but should 'revert' you back to 0.5.1-like functionality.
<<

wagstaff

Serviio lover

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks, zip! That was it. I removed the <DeviceDescription> section from Profile #7 (Samsung TV / player (C/D-series)) and stopped and restarted the ServiioService and the menu behavior has returned back to normal. In hindsight, since you observed that the request was only for 20 items at a time, I am guessing that when I only indexed a small portion of my media collection, the number of artist first letters, or genres, or title first letters was lower than 20, so things worked just fine. However, when the entire collection is indexed, the number of first letters, etc. exceeds the 20 items being requested at a time.

So, the next question is, what was causing this change in behavior in that <DeviceDescription> section? I haven't yet had the time to compare the profile differences between v0.5.1 and v0.5.2.
Joe Philipp
Samsung UN46C6900 | Windows Server 2003 SP2 | Mac OS X 10.5.8 | Kubuntu/Ubuntu 11.04
<<

zip

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:55 pm

The DeviceDescription block makes Serviio pretend it's the Samsung Server - to enable better integration (e.g. subtitles menu, resume function, Video Samsung menu maps to Serviio Video menu). It seems like a bug in the TV's firmware. Can you make sure you're using the latest firmware?
<<

wagstaff

Serviio lover

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:23 pm

I am currently running firmware v1035 which I downloaded and installed last month from Samsung's customer support site. In checking the Samsung site, that version of the firmware was posted on 21 FEB 2011, and is still the most current firmware version for my TV. There are no newer versions available. I also have older versions of the firmware in my possession, but the firmware upgrade process recognizes these as older versions and does not allow me to downgrade, so I am unable to determine if this issue is also present in the older versions of the firmware.
Joe Philipp
<<

wagstaff

Serviio lover

Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Did some more investigation with Samsung. My current firmware version (v1035) which is the latest for my TV is the same firmware version across their entire line of C-series LED televisions. This means, that if this issue is a firmware bug, then it exists on a large number of Samsung devices, not just my specific model. According to the Samsung tech support (an exasperating experience to be sure....), they are not aware of any widespread problems with the latest firmware version. Of course, they could have just been blowing sunshine up my ass to get me off the phone....
Joe Philipp
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 am

wagstaff wrote: Of course, they could have just been blowing sunshine up my ass to get me off the phone....

that would be my guess to samsung " SUPPORT " are not the best at giving out information they feel we dont need to know..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 am

Cerberus, can you reproduce this behaviour on your TV?

I think I know why it's failing. It takes too long to return the database call and the TV times out. Later on it works because it's stored in the cache.

I'll see if I can optimize this.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:48 am

zip wrote:Cerberus, can you reproduce this behaviour on your TV?

I think I know why it's failing. It takes too long to return the database call and the TV times out. Later on it works because it's stored in the cache.

I'll see if I can optimize this.

Im running a LCD rather than LED and i have never experienced this bug, only time the TV has ever errored for me was during our testing of 0.5.2 and we fixed that before release ( that was to do with the samsung menu intergration ) but i doubt that is what the OP is experiencing..

Zip - can we move this topic to samsung section, so i can keep an eye on it easier please :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

brenter

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 am

Hi,

i get the exact same error when i select "series" or "movies" on my C6000. (Folder browsing works though)
The workaround with editing the profile solved it for me, too.

Just wanted to let you know.

Regards.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:14 pm

brenter wrote:Hi,

i get the exact same error when i select "series" or "movies" on my C6000. (Folder browsing works though)
The workaround with editing the profile solved it for me, too.

Just wanted to let you know.

Regards.

yer for now that is only solution but hopefully zip has work on teh optimisation for this and will comment soon to tell us if he was successful or not :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Return to Samsung