FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

UE40F6400 EAC3 Media Not Playing/Errors

<<

Revolver

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:26 pm

UE40F6400 EAC3 Media Not Playing/Errors

Hi everyone!

I've been a long time user of Serviio and it served me well without any hassle, but this time I'm stumped and need your help:

I have an UE40F6400 on which I play my files and everything went well until the new EAC3 encoding that Netflix uses. The scenario is that I have multiple identically encoded files (from a new series I'm watching), but while the first one plays fine, (TV INFO: File Format: video/x-mkv, Audio Codec: Dolby Digital+, Video Codec: H264), which I presume is Direct Play with no transcoding, the second file doesn't play at all (The selected file is not currently supported). This type of hit or miss happens throughout the file collection, and I have no idea why. Tried another separate file that has the same audio encoding and again, error.

I thought it must be something with the EAC3 audio encoding and tried to add to the 'Samsung TV / player (E/F-series)' profile section the <Matches container="*" aCodec="eac3" /> line that I found around the forums when talking about EAC3. This makes the files play, but they get transcoded to mpeg, the timeline jumps to 500 hours or so and there are no subtitles anymore. Also, I kept the 'Audio channels' setting in the console to 'Keep original'.

If someone can help me understand where the problem lies I would be most grateful.

Thank you very much and have a Happy New Year!
Attachments
DEBUG.txt
(191.27 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
INFO.txt
(18.07 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: UE40F6400 EAC3 Media Not Playing/Errors

Unfortunately, even transcoding just the audio removes the ability for trick play (FF, rewind, resume). I can't say for sure if the captions also disappear.

But to get the audio transcoded and leave the video alone, you should create your own user profile and not edit the standard profile. That way you don't lose your changes with the next Serviio update (which always replaces the profiles file). You can make it really simple, have it inherit its settings from the current profile you use, and just make a line that captures the eac3 codec and transcode it to ac3. I'm not at home right now, so can't offer any example at this time, but you can look at some other profiles and see some video transcoding sections that don't have video transcoding, just audio. Several of the Roku profiles have such sections. If you need more help after looking at those, let me know.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Revolver

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:29 pm

Thank you for the fast reply!

I went with this custom profile I modified from one you posted for something else:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Profiles version="1.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://www.serviio.org/xsd/profiles/v/1.10/Profiles.xsd">
<Profile id="sam_ef_custom" name="Samsung TV F Custom" extendsProfileId="sam_ef">

<Transcoding>
         <!-- transcode HD video unsupported by device, transcode audio regardless of codec -->

<!-- Remux H.264 video stream, transcode audio only -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" >
             <Matches container="*" aCodec="eac3" />

</Video>
      </Transcoding>
   </Profile>

</Profiles>

Besides the fact that I first got an error when accessing Servio, after which it would work on the second try, everything worked as I experienced before: no 'trick play' and no subtitles. And no subtitles are a no-go for me.

So I guess that it's pretty much a dead end?

What vexes me, though, is that it seems random. Other identically encoded files from the series work perfectly, and some don't. Some other series that have the same eac3 codecs all work flawlessly. Any idea why that is? Because it doesn't seem a TV limitation in terms of direct play of eac3 files.

Thanks!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:45 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much what I would have suggested for a profile. Good job. I had a hunch the captions would be gone.

So, there must be something specific in the audio track that is causing one to play and another not. Probably the only option you have is to use something like Handbrake and convert the problem videos to AC3 audio.

However, if your media has an alternate audio track (some media have multiple), you might be able to simply remux the video and re-order the audio so the E-AC3 track isn't the default. Using tsMuxer it can be done in just a few minutes per video file.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Revolver

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:53 pm

I couldn't have done it without your awesome contributions on the forum. Thank you!

Ideally, I was hoping that I can do something on the transcoding level which wouldn't have me go to re-encoding software. Seems re-encoding the files in a more friendly format is the only way, at least until the original encoders will get the memo that something is wonky. (I won't hold my breath).

In any case, thank you very much for your help and Happy 2020!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:30 pm

Yeah, to keep the captions you need files that will play without transcoding. Re-encoding them with a different audio codec is about your only choice.

Happy New Year! :D
Dan

Return to Samsung