Access Serviio from my TV on a seperate WIFI network

<<

nikharvey

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:43 pm

Access Serviio from my TV on a seperate WIFI network

I run two wifi networks in my house
192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.0
This is due to limited signal strength on my wifi network.

My Serviio service is connected (ethernet into a wifi device) on the 1.0 network and my TV is connected to the 0.0 wifi network

I have tried setting port forward on my 1.0 network to my 0.0 network to allow Serviio to announce itself on the 0.0 network but the TV Is unable to discover the device via DNLA.

Does anyone have a similar setup and solution to this issue?

Thanks
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:22 pm

Re: Access Serviio from my TV on a seperate WIFI network

putting them on the same subnet might help. Why not just get an extra access point to fill the gap?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 pm

Without special routing configuration, which requires commercial grade routers and switches, you can't pass DLNA/uPnP across subnets.

I agree that there's no reason to use a separate subnet for your wireless. If you are using a router to act as an access point (which is what I do) you just need to assign a static IP to the router and set it to WAP mode. Now, not all routers offer a WAP mode, but you can still do it. Instead of connecting your existing network cable to the WAN port of the router, just connect it to one of the LAN ports (most routers have have at least 3-4). Again, you need to set a static IP address for the router and disable DHCP services on it, so it's not attempting to assign IP addresses to your network in conflict with your primary router.

I have two routers inside my network in WAP mode, and all devices on my network are getting the same IP address settings, so all on the same subnet. Serviio works perfectly with everything on my network.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 pm

^That's exactly what I meant in more detail.

Most of the newer high end routers when you buy them come with two or three devices or access points o be distributed in the house. I have access points and switches in the house to spread one meager internet connection to a house network and all the access points are old routers with static ip and dhcp off.
<<

nikharvey

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 am

Thanks for advice. Hadnt considered the single subnet across both WIFI networks by disabling DHCP on the second router. Will have a play :-)

Return to Samsung