FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Movies stuttering on my Samsung C5000QM

<<

matiello

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:13 am

Movies stuttering on my Samsung C5000QM

Hi guys,

I'm using Serviio a few months ago. In the beginning, all right, no problem, all movies played without problem, smooth and ok. The formats is always .MKV, sometimes .avi but almost always is 720p .mkv

I have a router TP-Link with 100mbps wired networks and 300mbps Wifi. This router communicate with a Access Point in the TV room that is TP-Link, just to repeater the wifi signal. My TV is connected with this Access Point by wired, or be, my TV is connected by Wifi, because between Access Point and Router is Wifi connection. (I've done this to avoid purchase the Samsung Wifi Adapter)

Ok, in the beginning, no problem. Rarely my movies stuttered. And I accepted some stuttered because on Wifi is normal.

Then, I've decided do a direct connection between TV and my router (without using Access Point). Nice, perfectly, movies played smooth.

But I don't know why now is terrible. The Wifi connection is better than wired connection.

I've already changed the RJ45 plugs, I've done a speed test with this cable and is OK, because I transfered a single file between 2 PCs using this cable and the speed is around 10mb/s, 11mb/s, normal to 100mbps.

Now, the movies played a few seconds and stop to load again. Play and stop, play and stop... is terrible. I'm feeling like watch YouTube's Videos.

And in the log file I've noticed many "[WebServer] I/O error: Connection reset by peer: socket write error", I think something is wrong, this isn't normal, right?

Even closing all program on my PC, including Torrent Clients, desconnecting all PCs on my router, leaving just my PC and the TV.

I don't know what I have to do.

Thanks
Matiello

Well, all this stuff's configuration:

PC
Intel Core i5 2500 3,3Ghz
8Gb Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

Router
TP-Link WR941ND

TV
Samsung 46' LED - UN46C5000QM

LOG
http://www.matiello.com/Log.txt
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:56 am

Re: Movies stuttering on my Samsung C5000QM

Do you fix all devices IP address? Do you have DHCP enabled in your router?
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

matiello

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:48 pm

I use DHCP on my router. But I setup all ips to be the same, address reservation, using MAC adress of my devices.

Thanks
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:22 pm

matiello wrote:I use DHCP on my router. But I setup all ips to be the same, address reservation, using MAC adress of my devices.

So IP could change...not sure it was a good idea for DLNA server used and for debugging.
Personally, I would preferred:
- Define an IP range outside the DHCP of the router: 192.168.1.[0-20], DHCP start at 192.168.1.21
- Fix IP address of all usual device (TV, Printer, BDP player, NAS, Network Hard Drive) in the previous area 192.168.1.[0-20]
- For unusual or nomad devices (pc of a friend, etc) use the DHCP area.
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

matiello

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Illico wrote:So IP could change...not sure it was a good idea for DLNA server used and for debugging.

No man, the ip is always the same because of address reservation. Router check the mac address's device and give the right ip.

And my ips is setup starting from 192.168.1.100 (my pc). and my tv is 192.168.1.106.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:25 pm

A couple of things could be causing this.

If the movies are being transcoded the fragmentation of the Harddrive could be getting extreme and causing problems. Harddrive space getting low.

If you are still using the wireless bridge check and make sure that one of your neighbors are not using the same wifi channel as you.

http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2439

When was the last time you rebooted your routers? I reboot mine (2 in a "N" wireless bridge) one once a week and the other daily automaically. I rarely have problems with my routers, I do have problems with my modem and have to cycle power to it.

I have heard of problems with "smart TVs/ Blu-ray players" having to be unplugged to reset them, since they are actually always powered on and the firmware is running 24/7. Just turning them off just puts them in a maintenance mode.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

matiello

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:39 pm

moltra wrote:A couple of things could be causing this.

If the movies are being transcoded the fragmentation of the Harddrive could be getting extreme and causing problems. Harddrive space getting low.

I think my movies aren't being transcoded. And about my HD, is WD Caviar Black 1TB Sata III, then I think it's ok.

moltra wrote:If you are still using the wireless bridge check and make sure that one of your neighbors are not using the same wifi channel as you.

With Wifi, is ok too. But I prefer solve this problem using Wired connection. Is more reliable.

moltra wrote:When was the last time you rebooted your routers? I reboot mine (2 in a "N" wireless bridge) one once a week and the other daily automaically. I rarely have problems with my routers, I do have problems with my modem and have to cycle power to it.

I've reseted many times, but it didn't work.

moltra wrote:I have heard of problems with "smart TVs/ Blu-ray players" having to be unplugged to reset them, since they are actually always powered on and the firmware is running 24/7. Just turning them off just puts them in a maintenance mode.

I think my TV isn't Smart TV. Because as far as I know Smart TV have internet connection, right? My TV have LAN but only to use with DLNA and upgrade Firmware (that is update).
<<

YTMY

Serviio lover

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi,

just to add to latter post: if rebooting of router and TV does not help, I would try reseting the router/tv to factory defaults. Also I would "play" with multicast, wmm (if router supports) settings of the router. I used to get disconnected from serviio just because of enabled multicast with wmm (connecting through wifi) and only disabling them both did the trick.
Of course I would not forget the PC. Maybe You have another PC to test if it works ok?

I hope You'll fix Your problem!
| Samsung UE32C6500 LED | Windows 7 x64 | 5Ghz wi-fi N 300Mbps setup |
<<

matiello

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:53 pm

I forgot say that I upgraded my router to the last firmware version, then I need to setup again, because after upgrade I need to reset to factory configuration.

I have 3 desktops and 1 notebook. I tried use another pc but the problem continue.

I didn't understand when you say to play with multicast, wmm. As far as i know my router dont have this configuration.

Thanks
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:11 pm

You said this happened after updating your firmware on your router? Check and see if QOS is setup for video to have highest priority, and see if it has upnp settings.

What is the model and firmware that you have installed on your router.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

YTMY

Serviio lover

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:16 pm

Ok, so the stuttering became worse after the firmware upgrade? To eliminate TV from suspects I would connect a laptop to the router (ar access point) and try to stream from serviio to it. If it is a router issue (very possible considering that router is more of economical range) I would try to change the firmware to a non-original (if You know how to).

Anyways, this is surely not serviio problem and I hope You will solve it.

br
Last edited by YTMY on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| Samsung UE32C6500 LED | Windows 7 x64 | 5Ghz wi-fi N 300Mbps setup |
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:17 pm

you might want to look at a custom firmware for your router. I use dd-wrt for one of mine and it rocks.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

matiello

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 pm

moltra wrote:You said this happened after updating your firmware on your router? Check and see if QOS is setup for video to have highest priority, and see if it has upnp settings.

What is the model and firmware that you have installed on your router.

No, this problem happened before updated. I updated the firmware to try solve this problem, but it didn't work.

Follow the model and firmware:

Firmware Version:
3.12.5 Build 100929 Rel.57776n
Hardware Version:
WR941N v2/v3 00000000
Model No. TL-WR941N / TL-WR941ND

About UPnP setting, is enabled.

And QoS on my router is disabled and the rules list is empty.

QoS means Bandwith Control Settings in my router, right?

<<

matiello

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:29 pm

moltra wrote:you might want to look at a custom firmware for your router. I use dd-wrt for one of mine and it rocks.

Yes, I've heard about this dd-wrt but I don't know how it works and I'm afraid to use this firmware and brick my router.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Look at your settings and manual it looks like bandwith control and qos on your router are seperate. Not sure if I looked at the right manual.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

matiello

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 pm

moltra wrote:Look at your settings and manual it looks like bandwith control and qos on your router are seperate. Not sure if I looked at the right manual.

Yes, I can confirm, that QoS is the same Bandwitdth Control on my router.
<<

matiello

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Guys,

I can confirm the problem is my router. Because I just did a new test using my Laptop (HP Pavilion dv6000 AMD Turion 64 X2 / 2Gb RAM). And I connected this laptop direct with my TV.

LAPTOP <----> TV

Without router, and perfectly, the movie played smooth. Even forwarding the movie, the TV didn't stop to load ("Preparing to play").

I checked the log, and the error "I/O error: Connection reset by peer: socket write error" only happened when I forward the movie, but during playback, nothing happen.

Something with my router is stuttering the playback.

But now, what is the problem? Did I forgot to setup something?

Thank you guys.

Matiello

EDIT: I really don't know why this problem is gone.

I used my ADSL Modem DLink that is router too to test DLNA and is ok, no problem. Then when I went back to my router, I reseted to factory setup again. After all the configuration, I tested DLNA again and no problem.

I didn't do anything different.

I'll do more tests.

Thanks
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:12 am

ok so we have another " im using a wifi bridge so i dont have to buy the samsung wifi dongle " thread are we ok.

so let me cut to teh chase and be very honest, wifi bridge setups are a pain in the butt and should never be used for high quality video streaming ( DLNA ) go out and buy the WIFI adaptor design for your tv and run a RJ45 cbale from the port on your tv to your MAIN router, that are your two best option to save all this messing about and wsted frustrating time that is not needed.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
<<

matiello

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Cerberus wrote:ok so we have another " im using a wifi bridge so i dont have to buy the samsung wifi dongle " thread are we ok.

so let me cut to teh chase and be very honest, wifi bridge setups are a pain in the butt and should never be used for high quality video streaming ( DLNA ) go out and buy the WIFI adaptor design for your tv and run a RJ45 cbale from the port on your tv to your MAIN router, that are your two best option to save all this messing about and wsted frustrating time that is not needed.

But, only to explain, the problem didnt happen because I use wifi bridge. This problem happened using the connection that you said "run a RJ45 cbale from the port on your tv to your MAIN router":

TV -- router -- PC (using only cable)

I know using wifi bridge is worse than this connection above. But what happened was the opposite because this connection above was worse than wifi bridge.

But after many resets and new configurations, the problem with cable connection is gone. And I dont like to solve like that, without knowning the problem.

Well, I'll do more tests like I said, any news I came back.

Thanks for now guys
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:28 pm

matiello wrote:
Cerberus wrote:ok so we have another " im using a wifi bridge so i dont have to buy the samsung wifi dongle " thread are we ok.

But, only to explain, the problem didnt happen because I use wifi bridge. This problem happened using the connection that you said "run a RJ45 cbale from the port on your tv to your MAIN router":

TV -- router -- PC (using only cable)

I know using wifi bridge is worse than this connection above. But what happened was the opposite because this connection above was worse than wifi bridge.

But after many resets and new configurations, the problem with cable connection is gone. And I dont like to solve like that, without knowning the problem.

Well, I'll do more tests like I said, any news I came back.

Thanks for now guys

ok if you used as i said wired tv-router-PC and you have issues then the problam can only be the router, a decent router is always required for DLNA streaming ( belkin, netgear or linksys ) a cheap router will give you a cheap experience.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |

Return to Samsung