FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Work around for Samsung display limitations

<<

jshake1

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Work around for Samsung display limitations

I think I may have forgotten to mention that if I choose Title, the system crashes and dumps me back to the Video, Music or Photo menu.
<<

wagstaff

Serviio lover

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:49 pm

jshake1 wrote:
Mine also goes up to a full screen on page 101 but that's the maximum it will do. It stops at like letter G under Folders. What I'm really interested in is there a work around?

I do not really have a workaround. Because of the size of my music collection (it takes 5 hours for Serviio to index it on a 2.6GHz quad core CPU pulling from a RAID-5 array), most, if not all of the Serviio-provided grouping/searching methods (Artists, Titles, etc.) are useless to me. Instead, I revert to using the "Folders" path through the directory structure I have in place. Since no single directory has more than 1000 items in it, it never hits the 1000-item limit of my Samsung TV.

jshake1 wrote:
I think I may have forgotten to mention that if I choose Title, the system crashes and dumps me back to the Video, Music or Photo menu.

I have experienced this as well:
http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2277&p=13482#p13482

No real joy there either, but zip thinks it is due to a timeout that he thinks he may be able to help out with in the next version of Serviio (0.6).
Joe Philipp
Samsung UN46C6900 | Windows Server 2003 SP2 | Mac OS X 10.5.8 | Kubuntu/Ubuntu 11.04
<<

jshake1

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:22 pm

I forgot about the Folders option. Thanks for reminding me, I'll try that. I also have around 500GB of music so it takes a long time to do anything.
The other thing I didn't get from the posts is that Serviio version 06 may fix some of the issues. I thought he was talking about the firmware version. I might wait and test out the new version before I do anything.
<<

wagstaff

Serviio lover

Post Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:02 pm

I just added a feature request that, if implemented, would eliminate this issue:

http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3009
Joe Philipp
Samsung UN46C6900 | Windows Server 2003 SP2 | Mac OS X 10.5.8 | Kubuntu/Ubuntu 11.04
<<

jshake1

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:53 am

I like your feature request, hopefully it can be implemented without causing other users problems. Ever since I started the discussion about my music library I haven't been able to get Serviio to access my music. I created subfolders Music_A-D, Music_E-L, Music_M-R, and Music_S-Z and put the appropriate albums in each. When I add these folders to Serviio it doesn't add the music. I've waited and waited thinking it just takes a while but nothing. I even went back and created a Music folder and put a couple of albums there just to see if they get added but nothing. I'm not too sure what to do at this point other than to keep waiting...
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Is it on a network drive?
<<

wagstaff

Serviio lover

Post Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:52 pm

jshake1 wrote:
Ever since I started the discussion about my music library I haven't been able to get Serviio to access my music. I created subfolders Music_A-D, Music_E-L, Music_M-R, and Music_S-Z and put the appropriate albums in each. When I add these folders to Serviio it doesn't add the music. I've waited and waited thinking it just takes a while but nothing. I even went back and created a Music folder and put a couple of albums there just to see if they get added but nothing. I'm not too sure what to do at this point other than to keep waiting...

I am not sure if you have looked at this pinned discussion yet:
http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2131

In it, Cerberus posted a screenshot of the console presentation configuration tab that he uses. I have been using this same configuration myself, since, like you, the 1000-item limit of my TV prevents me from using the other breakouts (Artist, Titles, etc.). Have you tried this?
Joe Philipp
<<

jshake1

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:59 pm

Yes, it's a network drive.

I haven't tried the configuration recommended by Cerberus because right now, I can't get Serviio to see any of my music files. His configuration has to do with the displaying of files, right?
<<

zip

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:15 am

you have to make sure the user running Serviio service has read access to your files on the network drive

http://www.serviio.org/component/content/article/21#q5
<<

jshake1

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:44 pm

[quote][/quote]

Yeah, I did that. All my other files are on the same network drive so I knew about that.
<<

zip

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:55 pm

and do you have 'Search for new and updated files' checkbox selected for the shared folder?
<<

njose

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:00 pm

That is the same limitation I found with my pictures (16K). I have a Samsung C series 55C8000, in the owner’s manual, page 38, about half way down it says "If the files are sorted by Basic View, up to 1,000 files can be displayed in each folder. I have the latest firmware and no change. I've also tried the "folder" approach limiting the number of items per folders so that one since folder has not more than same 500 pics, it still hit the wall +-1000. I don’t understand why they would put that limitation with the growing digital content.

I've written to Samsung support over a month ago and no response. Does anyone here have any influence with Samsung? I hate their support. I guess we are stuck for now.

Any programming work around would be appreciated.
My setup....
Serviio: 0.5.2
Renderer: Samsung TV 8000 C series 55 (wired)
<<

zip

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:35 pm

njose wrote:I've also tried the "folder" approach limiting the number of items per folders so that one since folder has not more than same 500 pics, it still hit the wall +-1000.

Not sure what you mean here? If you only have 500 pics per folder then it should display all 500.
<<

jshake1

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:16 pm

zip wrote:and do you have 'Search for new and updated files' checkbox selected for the shared folder?

Yes, I have it checked.
<<

jshake1

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm

I finally gave in last night and reinstalled. It's added all the movies and has started on the music. I'll keep monitoring to make sure it gets added. One of the minor issues I ran into when I tried to create a log file is the 2MB limitation on uploads. With the large number of files in my library, the log file exceeds the limitation before it even finishes updating movies. I'll play around with it once the initial file scanning is completed.
<<

zip

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:35 pm

jshake1 wrote:I finally gave in last night and reinstalled. It's added all the movies and has started on the music. I'll keep monitoring to make sure it gets added. One of the minor issues I ran into when I tried to create a log file is the 2MB limitation on uploads. With the large number of files in my library, the log file exceeds the limitation before it even finishes updating movies. I'll play around with it once the initial file scanning is completed.

please zip it up, or upload to mediafire.com or similar
Previous

Return to Samsung