FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problem With MKV files stopping - MP4 no problem?

<<

Godsbusy

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:20 am

Problem With MKV files stopping - MP4 no problem?

I just starting having this issue, it recently started when I had to reset my PRAM on my mac.

MKV files will start playing, and then after about 90 seconds it stops, and goes back to the main file folder. You can start it again, and the same thing happens. If I convert the file to a MP4.. it will play straight through. It use to play straight through with the MKV files.

Im guessing that since MP4 files are handled by quicktime and MKV by my VLC player, it has to do with something along those lines, but I'm not that IT savvy that I know what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:46 pm

Re: Problem With MKV files stopping - MP4 no problem?

MKV and MP4 are containers, and the contents of those containers can vary, especially with the MKV container. It can hold almost any codec. It's most likely something to do with the contents of the container. There's a link in my sig line that can assist determining the contents of your media file. Once we know the audio and video codecs within the containers, we can determine if its a compatibility issue.

VLC can usually play almost anything, but there might be a limitation of the TV itself in what can be played. And since we're talking about a Samsung, their DLNA support is less than stellar. I gave up using the TV player many years ago, instead preferring to use a Roku, Blu Ray or Shield player to handle the playback.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Godsbusy

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:55 pm

atc98092, you just gave me an idea with what you wrote regarding using another device rather than the TV Player.

You said you use a Roku, Blue Ray or Shield player - I don't have any, however is it compatible with a Fire Stick? I mean I can go out and get a Roku player for dirt cheap, which would solve the problem right?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:05 pm

Many of the less expensive external players (Fire TV, Roku, etc.) still have limitations on what codecs they support. The Shield plays about everything, but Roku and Fire TV have a more limited selection of supported codecs. However, on the Fire TV you can install VLC player, which on its own supports the majority of media. I don't know specifically how it works on a Fire TV, as I've never had one. For my Roku players, I have to transcode lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio) as it doesn't bitstream them. I think the Fire would be the same. The Roku also only supports a few containers, so if the contents are supported Serviio can just transmux the files into a supported container. I am the author of the Roku profiles that come with Serviio, so I know how they work pretty well. I think they would work about the same for a Fire TV player. The Shield plays everything without Serviio needing to do anything but stream.

Yes, I think a Roku or Fire TV would be far preferable to the Samsung player the TV has. You'll see metadata, and with much of the content you will be able to FF, rewind and resume.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Samsung