FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

GU65TU8509U AVI don´t play

<<

gio2000

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:06 pm

GU65TU8509U AVI don´t play

I have a Problem that AVI Files won't play over Serviio on my new GU65TU8509U from Samsung .

It say file not supported, on my old UE46F from Samsung I did not have this issue.

Is there any Profile for this ?

I m using right now the U Profile ......

Regards

Giovanni
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:49 pm

Re: GU65TU8509U AVI don´t play

There is no "U" Samsung profile. Could you confirm the profile you are using?

I think you might be using the "Samsung TV (NU-series)" profile. I wrote that one when I had that set, but I don't have it any longer. There is no "newer" profile, so your TU is more recent than the NU I had. That profile will transcode any AVI file (regardless of content) and output it as a TS stream with H.264 video and AC3 audio. I wouldn't think there's any reason that it should not work.

I just pulled up the manual for your TV, and is supposedly supports a wide variety of media containers and codecs. In theory, it appears your AVI file should play without transcoding. To test that, try changing your profile to "Generic". remember to hit the save button at the bottom of the Status page in Serviio console after you change it. Then see if the same file will play. I still don't understand why the transcoded file won't play, but if it plays natively, then just go with it.

However, I will say that Samsung's support for DLNA has diminished greatly over the years. They simply don't seem to be making much of an effort in it any longer. I'm impressed with the list of claimed supported media. But the caveat is that there's no guarantee that those files are supported over DLNA. Sometimes they will play from an attached drive, but not over DLNA. The owners manual I examined doesn't contain any such warning, but I have seen it in other models, as well as personal experience.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Samsung