FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

which film mode

<<

doogydawg

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:52 pm

which film mode

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
My serviio is version 1.9.1 which I would like to keep.
I had it installed on my macbook pro, but I decided to uninstall it.
Before I did this, my films streamed from my mac were fine, but I didn't look what film mode it was set to.
I then decided to install it again, I downloaded an old film from youtube and ran it, because it was from youtube it didn't fit the screen so I to try the film modes.
For some stupid reason, I did't take any notice what the mode was set to, but I put it on mode 2 and then the picture filled the screen.
I then put a 16.9 film on, but obviously the image size was wrong.
On the film modes, there is Original, Mode 1, Mode 2, and some others.
When you install serviio, what is the default mode? as I would like to keep it on that.
I tried another film, I can't remember the resolution, but if I put it to original, the size of the image went smaller, if I then put it on Mode 1, it changed to a correct size for viewing.
So I'm guessing the default mode is Mode 1? as it seems to work on all films.
Sorry if this sound all a bit all over the place.
So I guess my question is, what is the default mode when first installed.
Thanks for any replies.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:56 am

Re: which film mode

I have a couple Samsung TVs, but I have no idea what you mean by film mode. There's color temp settings, And some picture modes that are just image presets for all the brightness and color controls.

I'm thinking you're talking about the display's aspect ratio modes. I seem to remember my old Panasonic Plasma TV having aspect ratios marked as Mode One and Two. In these, there's usually one labeled "Just" or "original" that is supposed to match the aspect ratio the video reports. And most of the time, that mode will work. But sometimes the video metadata doesn't contain the correct ratio, especially if it's not an anamorphic widescreen image. One example of that is the original DVD version of "Tremors". You end up with black space around all four edges, and you'd need to zoom the display to fill it all. And often doing that cuts the captions off the bottom of the display. My solution for that was to buy the Blu Ray version which was properly encoded for the widescreen anamorphic image, and it fills the screen just fine.

Videos downloaded from an online source are often either encoded wrong or are poorly made copies of the original film and have all kinds of processing errors.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

doogydawg

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:38 pm

atc98092 wrote:I have a couple Samsung TVs, but I have no idea what you mean by film mode. There's color temp settings, And some picture modes that are just image presets for all the brightness and color controls.

I'm thinking you're talking about the display's aspect ratio modes. I seem to remember my old Panasonic Plasma TV having aspect ratios marked as Mode One and Two. In these, there's usually one labeled "Just" or "original" that is supposed to match the aspect ratio the video reports. And most of the time, that mode will work. But sometimes the video metadata doesn't contain the correct ratio, especially if it's not an anamorphic widescreen image. One example of that is the original DVD version of "Tremors". You end up with black space around all four edges, and you'd need to zoom the display to fill it all. And often doing that cuts the captions off the bottom of the display. My solution for that was to buy the Blu Ray version which was properly encoded for the widescreen anamorphic image, and it fills the screen just fine.

Videos downloaded from an online source are often either encoded wrong or are poorly made copies of the original film and have all kinds of processing errors.

Crumbs, I've just noticed I never got back to this thread.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Sorry for such a long delay :D
Yes, I mean the ratio modes shown on the serviio tv screen when playing the films, as in the image 1080p (sorry it's a bit rubbish, I have a tremor, so it makes things a bit difficult)
On the image shown, the mode is set on original, if I change it to Mode1 it's still the same, which is fair enough.
I'm just wondering which of the two is it best to keep it on as a default. I only realised today after coming across this thread that I have had it set to MODE1 since I first posted this.
I watch a mix of 720 and 1080 films, which I stream from my mac.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vLUtx8S4RVNUbash8
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:09 pm

Hey, no problem! :D

Yes, the aspect ratio can really be a bugger with older videos, or if they are encoded incorrectly. I can't tell for certain from your image, as I can't really see the edges of the TV screen. But that image appears to be sized correctly (I don't see any sign of stretched or compressed imaging), but if there's black bars across the top and bottom, that merely means the video has a different aspect ratio than your display. Assuming you have an regular HDTV, it has a 16x9 aspect ratio (also expressed as 1.78 to 1 or just 1.78). TV sets before HD became common had a 4x3 aspect ratio (1.33), which was almost (but not quite) a square image. So, it you have an HDTV and you still see black bars at the top and bottom (again, I think that's what your image shows), that simply means the content has an aspect ratio larger than your display. If I'm looking at your image correctly, it appears to be closer to a 2.35 to 1 aspect ratio, which is a common ratio for theatrical releases. So the black bars are completely normal and expected. Your selection of "Original" is the correct setting from what I can see.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

doogydawg

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:28 pm

atc98092 wrote:Hey, no problem! :D

Yes, the aspect ratio can really be a bugger with older videos, or if they are encoded incorrectly. I can't tell for certain from your image, as I can't really see the edges of the TV screen. But that image appears to be sized correctly (I don't see any sign of stretched or compressed imaging), but if there's black bars across the top and bottom, that merely means the video has a different aspect ratio than your display. Assuming you have an regular HDTV, it has a 16x9 aspect ratio (also expressed as 1.78 to 1 or just 1.78). TV sets before HD became common had a 4x3 aspect ratio (1.33), which was almost (but not quite) a square image. So, it you have an HDTV and you still see black bars at the top and bottom (again, I think that's what your image shows), that simply means the content has an aspect ratio larger than your display. If I'm looking at your image correctly, it appears to be closer to a 2.35 to 1 aspect ratio, which is a common ratio for theatrical releases. So the black bars are completely normal and expected. Your selection of "Original" is the correct setting from what I can see.

That's brilliant.
Thanks once again Dan.
Steve.

Return to Samsung