FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Resume not working on Samsung Series H, J, & NU TV's

<<

eduardok

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:36 pm

Resume not working on Samsung Series H, J, & NU TV's

Hello, this has been driving me crazy, have been troubleshooting this issue ever since version 2.0 came out. I spent countless hours testing network hardware and settings, Windows 11 Pro settings, etc. I can install 1.10.1 and resume works perfect. Only catch is I have to use Profile E/F for the H Series Samsung TV, Profile H for the J Series Samsung TV, and Profile J for the NU Series Samsung TV. These are the only Samsung profiles that will allow resume to work on these TV's. I have uninstalled and fresh installed 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, and 2.2.1 and resume will not work on any of my three Samsung TV's. I have tried all Samsung profiles contained within each version for each of the three Samsung TV's (H, J, & NU) and resume will not work. I also tried the generic profile. Before I start searching for a Serviio alternative with resume capabilities I thought I would reach out to the Serviio community for help. I do have a Pro license and really like Serviio but resume is a must have capability for me. Thank you all in advance.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:03 am

Re: Resume not working on Samsung Series H, J, & NU TV's

Is there any issue you have simply using the profiles that work? I wrote the J profile for my JU7100 many years ago, but to be honest I have ignored it because the Samsung DLNA player is so terrible. I instead use either a Roku or Nvidia Shield (the Shield for most uses), because I can then see the metadata, larger images of the cover art, and overall simply better performance. I also wrote the NU profile, but I hated the HDR image so much I gave the TV to my daughter and replaced it with an LG Dolby Vision capable set. So I can't test the NU profile with an actual TV any longer.

If I had to guess, the E/F profile might be transcoding your video into something that supports trick play, while the correct profiles play the video without transcoding, and for some unknown reason the Samsung isn't allowing trick play. I will say that Samsung's DLNA support has gone downhill in the 10 years that I've had their sets. But like I said, I stopped using the TV interface years ago because of their poor support.

If you'd like captions from your ripped DVDs and Blu Rays, you need a different player. The Shield is the top of the line ($150-200), but I've also tested the very inexpensive ($20!) Onn 4K Media Player that is sold by Walmart, and other than not bitstreaming the lossless audio tracks (same thing with a Roku), it's close to equal to the Shield. No Dolby Vision, but your Samsung TV doesn't support that anyway.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

eduardok

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:11 pm

Dan, thank you for the reply. I can use the profiles that work but only in version 1.10.1. Version 2.0 and above will not work with any of the Samsung or generic profiles. I even copied the profiles from 1.10.1 to each of the version 2.0’s and they do not work. Where in the Serviio file structure does it store the status of the videos played? I suspect version 1.10.1 is updating this data while using my Samsung TV’s and corresponding profiles mentioned above. I suspect version 2.0 and above is not updating this info. Assuming the samsung profiles are the same in versions then my suspicions make sense. What do you think?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:30 am

The status of the media playback is stored in the database, same as all versions of Serviio. The profiles included in Serviio 2.x are pretty much the same as your 1.10.x version. I don't believe I made any changes to any Samsung profile since that time. I think the Roku profiles are the only ones I've made changes to since 1.10 was released. I have no idea why things are different with the newer version.

If you have a moment, could you provide me with specifically isn't working correctly with 2.x? I still have my JU7100 I can test on, and I also have a recent Samsung that I use as a computer monitor that I could test the NU profile on. Can't recall the exact model number of it, though. It's newer than an NU, so I'll have to look at it and see.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

eduardok

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:15 am

I just did a clean install again of 2.2.1 without changing any parameters. I did not add any users. I simply added one shared folder. Everything seems to work perfect on the Samsung H using the H profile, Samsung NU using the NU profile, the Samsung J using the H profile (video will not resume when assigned to the J profile). In the past the only issue was resuming video, it did not work. Seems like the resume disappears once I create users and assign users to shared libraries and Samsung devices. So in summary, resume was the only issue.

Return to Samsung