FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung Problems ASS Subtitle | F6500

<<

secretman76

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:52 pm

Samsung Problems ASS Subtitle | F6500

Hello Serviio Community

I love the software and have been using it for years.

currently I can not find a solution to the problems that occur with my Samsung TV F6500, even though I have already massacred the board and Google with my searches.

Config:
Samsung BD-C6800 Discplayer
Samsung F6500 TV

File encoding:

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format Profile : Main@L3.1
Format Settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital
Codec ID : A_AC3

Text #1
ID : 3
Format : ASS
Codec ID : S_TEXT/ASS
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Sub Station Alpha

if the mentioned file is played via Serviio, then the whole TV hangs. if I remove the subtitles from the file and re-encode then I can watch the movie. the subtitles are missing.
this is what currently happens with all movies with ASS content. of course also when they are accessed via USB.
About subtitles I have experimented with all settings. unfortunately nothing works. the BD-C6800 has strangely not this problem. also it is so that other streaming software have the same behavior and turn off the TV.
the question I ask myself here is how I can change the Profile.xml so that the subtitles ASS is recognized, but changed via Serviio in a format that the TV can process. It is a Problem from TV.

would be grateful for tips.

Greets Tim
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:35 am

Re: Samsung Problems ASS Subtitle | F6500

ASS subtitle files are recognized by Serviio. It sounds more like the TV is having issues with them. My personal experience with Samsung devices for DLNA playback has always been hit or miss, which is why I decided to always use an external player. I've used older Sony media players, Roku players and the Nvidia Shield. The last is my recommended player, as it can play almost anything.

My guess is there's something within your ASS files that is triggering something in the TV. I can't say if it's the text encoding, or something else. I only use a few captions files, and they're all in SRT format.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

secretman76

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:12 am

Re: Samsung Problems ASS Subtitle | F6500

Hi atc98092,

thank you for your quick reply.
yes, I assume that here is not Serviio the problem, but the TV itself. and yes, it can / must be due to ASS encoding. i ask myself here how to solve it....

since the BD player can play the file, I tried the profile of the C series. did not work unfortunately.

one guess is that it might also be a buffer problem. after i got another file to work, when i started the subtitle, the font encoding link was displayed in front of the text. it said sans-serif etc. but not in the color i set in Serviio.

I thought that it might be possible to make changes in Profile.xml to make it work.

I run Serviio via Docker (https://hub.docker.com/r/soerentsch/serviio). I have mapped the volumes for the transcoding.
But... somehow it seems to me that nothing is stored there. is actually the same path as to the media.

think there I must also check whether that is so correct :-)

Return to Samsung