Post Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:36 pm

Re: Cant play mkv files

Edpayasugo wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
Edpayasugo wrote:Hi, I am having the same problem (can't play MKV) on my 2010 Sony Bravia, can anyone help please?

MKV is a container. It's capable of containing almost any video or audio codec, so you can't just say you can't play MKVs. We need to know what's in the container. There's a link in my sig that tells how to find the information.

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response , I looked at those links but I am not sure if this is the same issue, let me give you an example;

I have BSG S4 E1 which my PC says is MKV - Matroska video files (.mkv) file type.

On my TV I can see this file using Serviio in its folder, but when I try and play it it is either very choppy or sometimes MKV files won't play at all

This is the only file type I have experienced this with

Thank you.

As I said, MKV is a container, not a video type. The only way to know if a video will play is by determining what is inside the container. The MKV container can hold virtually any video or audio codec, but your TV can only play some of what's available. We have to know what codecs are in use to determine if your TV can play them. The link in my sig that tells how to determine file contents is the best help I can offer to get that information.

I will say that a Samsung HU7100 I had was pretty bad playing MPEG2 video. In fact, it was so bad that Samsung replaced my TV with a JU7100, which plays them fine. However, the Samsung user interface for playing my home media is so terrible that I never use the TV, and instead use either a Roku player or Nvidia Shield as my player. Your Sony is old, and likely has the same user interface that my Sony BD player has, which is to say it don't show anything but the video title. My wife likes its simplicity, but as a streaming player I don't think much of it. And it doesn't support DTS Master Audio over DLNA, so many of my Blu Ray rips won't play the audio without transcoding to Dolby Digital.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents