Page 1 of 1

Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:10 am
by alexogg
Im running Serviio on my Samsung 2012 Smart TV....all files apart from mkv's work fine.
Please can you tell me what Im doing wrong....?
Thanks

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:19 pm
by zip
Make sure you select the Samsung C/D/E profile.

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:25 pm
by alexogg
Sorry Im not sure how to do this......

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:29 pm
by zip
Look at the getting started guide on the website

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:12 pm
by facade
I had this problem, easily solved.

Open serviio console (right click on the serviio icon on the taskbar, select open serviio console)
In serviio console, click on the "status" tab.
There is a window that lists ip addresses and device names.
Scroll it until you find the model number of the TV (mine is UE46ES8000)
Left click on the 3rd column alongside your model number- it will say "Generic DLNA profile" use the dropdown to select "Samsung TV/player (C/D series)
Left click on "save"

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:38 am
by alexogg
Thanks so much facade - you were really helpful. All sorted

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:06 am
by dsawes
I know a good MKV to Samsung Converter. It can easily convert MKV, HD MKV to Samsung compatible format. It applies to all kinds of Samsung mobile phones including convert MKV to Samsung Galaxy S4, MKV to Samsung Galaxy S III, MKV to Samsung Galaxy S II, MKV to Samsung Galaxy S, MKV to Samsung Galaxy, MKV to Samsung Galaxy Tab, MKV to Samsung Infuse 4G/Epic 4G/Captivate/Vibrant/Fascinate/Mesmerize...

Besides, it also can convert other video formats including MOV, MPEG, WTV, WebM, FLV, MVI, ASF, RM, 3GP, VP8, 720p, 1080p, 1080i HD, AVCHD videos and more to various Samsung phones. Find it in Google by typing "step by step guide on how to play MKV on Samsung Galaxy S/S2/S3/S4/Infuse 4G/Tab..."

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:44 am
by talanmawr
I have a new small Samsung Blu-Ray player that comes up as the Samsung H series. It's playing everything but the MKV files. I did switch over to the C/D series, and then the E/F series but those didn't work either. Any thoughts anyone?

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:39 pm
by atc98092
talanmawr wrote:I have a new small Samsung Blu-Ray player that comes up as the Samsung H series. It's playing everything but the MKV files. I did switch over to the C/D series, and then the E/F series but those didn't work either. Any thoughts anyone?


If it an H series, then it can play MKV without transcoding. However, there are some video codecs that might not be supported. Please provide information for a file that doesn't play. Either use the FFMPEG -i command, or using MediaInfo, so we can see what it inside the MKV file. Remember that MKV is just a container, and what is inside will determine if it will play.

Also, what version of Serviio are you using? The latest version (1.5) includes a good H series profile, although the BD player may not get it assigned by default.

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:05 am
by talanmawr
Wow. I never saw this reply after over a year! If you happen to see this...here's an FFMPEG-I output:

ffmpeg version 2.4.git Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
built on Nov 19 2014 22:12:09 with gcc 4.7.2 (GCC)
configuration: --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --enable-memalign-hack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libass --enable-librtmp --enable-fontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-zlib --enable-libx264 --enable-libspeex --extra-libs='-lrtmp -lpolarssl -lws2_32 -lwinmm -lexpat -lfreetype -lfribidi -lz' --arch=x86 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-pthreads --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=i686-w64-mingw32- --enable-gpl --pkg-config=pkg-config
libavutil 54. 14.100 / 54. 14.100
libavcodec 56. 12.101 / 56. 12.101
libavformat 56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100
libavdevice 56. 3.100 / 56. 3.100
libavfilter 5. 2.103 / 5. 2.103
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 1.100 / 1. 1.100
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100


I'm on 1.6.1 now.

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:34 pm
by ignore
facade wrote:I had this problem, easily solved.

Open serviio console (right click on the serviio icon on the taskbar, select open serviio console)
In serviio console, click on the "status" tab.
There is a window that lists ip addresses and device names.
Scroll it until you find the model number of the TV (mine is UE46ES8000)
Left click on the 3rd column alongside your model number- it will say "Generic DLNA profile" use the dropdown to select "Samsung TV/player (C/D series)
Left click on "save"



Thank you :)

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:22 pm
by atc98092
talanmawr wrote:Wow. I never saw this reply after over a year! If you happen to see this...here's an FFMPEG-I output:

ffmpeg version 2.4.git Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
built on Nov 19 2014 22:12:09 with gcc 4.7.2 (GCC)
configuration: --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --enable-memalign-hack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libass --enable-librtmp --enable-fontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-zlib --enable-libx264 --enable-libspeex --extra-libs='-lrtmp -lpolarssl -lws2_32 -lwinmm -lexpat -lfreetype -lfribidi -lz' --arch=x86 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-pthreads --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=i686-w64-mingw32- --enable-gpl --pkg-config=pkg-config
libavutil 54. 14.100 / 54. 14.100
libavcodec 56. 12.101 / 56. 12.101
libavformat 56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100
libavdevice 56. 3.100 / 56. 3.100
libavfilter 5. 2.103 / 5. 2.103
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 1.100 / 1. 1.100
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100


I'm on 1.6.1 now.


After you enter ffmpeg -i, you have to add the file name. If there are spaces in the file name, make sure you enclose the name in quotes. Then we can see what video and audio codec your file is using. What you did just shows us the version of FFMPEG you are using. Also, that's a really old version of FFMPEG. It really needs to be updated.

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:23 am
by talanmawr
Sorry this has taken so long...and I appreciate anyone still willing to help. I never see that this thread is updated. I am right now downloading an updated FFMPEG. I also downloaded MediaInfo, and it tells me that one of the MKV's I'm having problems with is AVC (High@L51) on the video stream.

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:11 pm
by atc98092
talanmawr wrote:Sorry this has taken so long...and I appreciate anyone still willing to help. I never see that this thread is updated. I am right now downloading an updated FFMPEG. I also downloaded MediaInfo, and it tells me that one of the MKV's I'm having problems with is AVC (High@L51) on the video stream.


OK, I don't think an H series BD player can handle L5.1. I'm not certain that any BD player other than the 4K player can handle that level. Since I don't have such a player to test that theory, that's the best I can do. I did a search of what Samsung BD players support, but it didn't have that level of detail.

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:09 am
by talanmawr
Ok. Thanks for the info. My unit does work on a few MKV's. Now at least I can figure out why a bit. I really appreciate it!

Re: Cant play mkv files

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:18 am
by keenbeen
There is a professionalĀ converter - Avdshare Video Converter to convert the unsupported MKV to Samsung Galaxy.