FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio and allshare not connecting to the 2 router setup

<<

alecstheone

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Serviio and allshare not connecting to the 2 router setup

Hello, I'm struggling since weeks to make serviio work on my TV (Samsung UE40ES6100) and I can't get it work.

First of all here's my network.

I have a main router (cisco 4200). In that router there are 2 pc's connected and a wire that goes in other room in a second router (belkin). From the belkin router is one pc connected and a few other wireless devices (TV, PS3 and the home cinema).
The connection type between the 2 routers are LAN to LAN (so I configured the second router -belkin- as an access point with IP 192.168.1.100)
I can connect and surf the web on all my devices including the TV.
If I connect the TV dirrectly to my main router (cisco) allshare and serviio works fine but the problem is that the router is too far and I can get enough signal (that's why I came up with the second router) I don't want to switch the position of the 2 routers because I need them as they are now placed.

So here's the problem...
I start allshare and in the startup wizard it cannot find the TV but after closing and switching to the player control screen mode it finds the TV. The TV is meanwhile on and in the allshare application. If I hit to play something on the TV it stays a few seconds and an error is displayed on the TV screen "The selected file is not currently supported" this happened also if I switched off the firewall from eset smart security system.

So I guess its something from the connection of the 2 routers. Because as I told before, if I connect it directly to the first router (cisco) it works.

Before I accessed serviio from the source menu from the TV and I selected serviio or from the allshare application.

Now I cannot find the serviio nether the allshare logo in the source menu, so I cant access serviio at all.

On the serviio console the dot corresponding the IP address from the is green and I also set the profile to the "Samsung TV/player (C/D/E-series)"

I restarted the routers 100 times, I reconfigured the 2 router setup again and again and it still doesn't work. I don't know what else should I try.
I know it must work but it's just a little thing to fix and I can;t figure it out. Maybe someone could give me a hint on that!

And I'm not sure if I should leave UpNp "on" on the second router (belkin) if it's working as an access point.

I also added a screenshot of the DHCP client table from the main router (cisco), if it's helping....
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/dhcpx.jpg/

Thank You very much, and hoping I'll get an answer fast,
I wish You a Happy New Year and all the Best!
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: Serviio and allshare not connecting to the 2 router setu

The upnp could be either way. Can you connect a computer to the second router so you can see if it sees serviio.

What is the ip address of the tv connected to the 2nd router.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

alecstheone

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Thank You for the reply!

On the main router (cisco) I have 2 pc connected and on the second one I do have a third computer connected. How can I check if the third computer sees serviio?

The IP address for the second router is 192.168.1.100 and the IP from the TV connected to the second router is 192.168.1.10
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Download xbmc and see if it sees serviio
Mark
Beta Tester Group

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

alecstheone

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:33 pm

I installed XBMC on the third computer and it saw serviio. I could play videos on it.
Before trying to install XBMC i also tried to enter the media browser from the third computer and it didn't worked.
However, after installing XBMC and testing it I tried again the media browser and surprisingly it worked and one more thing happened: at the TV source menu a icon with an question marked named serviio appeared and when I selected it I got an error: request cannot be completed. MEDIA PLAY will return to the main screen. Than it entered the allshare application and I could see the shared videos from the serviio and when I selected one it sayd: something like the serviio pc is disconnected and the application exited. Than I couldn't see any icon anymore, but the media browser on the third pc still was accesable.

I know pretty sure that if I connect it directly through the first router (cisco) everything works and an serviio icon appeares not an exclamation mark.
I also remember that I tried a few months ago to connect the TV through the second router (when I haven't had the first one (cisco)) and it worked.
SO basically the second router was the only router in the house... So I can't say its because of the router.

I'm pretty sure its something from settings that is blocking in some way the connection.
If I enter the allshare application, although the TV is not connected to the PC and I select one of the last videos played it starts and playes the whole video, but I cannot play new ones, as I cannot connect to serviio or allshare anymore.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:36 pm

how are the routers connected? if the routers are wireless bridged, there are certain things that you need to do and only certain routers can be connected together via wireless bridging.

Here is one post on how to do it. I ran the DD-WRT firmware when I had my wireless bridge.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-tur ... ss-bridge/
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

alecstheone

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:59 pm

The 2 routers have a LAN to LAN connection, so with cable between them.

The first router (cisco) is set up normal and on the second one selected from its menu "use as an access point" and all the other options like dhcp server disappeared.

Should I manually configure the second router? TO set a static ip address, disable dhcp like in this tutorial:
http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-One-Rout ... -a-Network

or

just use the setting "use as an acess point", that automatically adjusts the settings as in the tutorial I think!?...
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:50 am

I would probably just setup the dhcp so each router can assign certain portion of ip addresses. And let each router work nirmally.

Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

maghreb

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:54 am

Hi there,

Quick question: do you use only the "switch" portion the second router? (Leaving the WAN connector empty)

Jerome
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:02 am

On some routers you must use a certain port for uplink

Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

alecstheone

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:17 am

I'm using LAN to LAN connection between the 2 routers so that the IP addresses will be assigned in the same "zone".
For example in the picture I uploaded in the cisco table, there are all my connections listed and all have the the beginning 192.168.1.x (even the third one "dani", that is connected to the second router)
I understood that this connection between the LAN ports of the routers is the most recommended for home networks as I can easy share files between the 2 routers.

If I set the other one: LAN to WAN the second router have DHCP enabled and creates IP addresses with 192.168.2.x and that's why there's way more harder (or maybe impossible) to stream videos on my TV.

so.. @moltra I cannot setup DHCP on the second router only if I set a LAN to WAN connection, that will 100% not work with streaming videos as the devices have completely different IP addresses.

What do you mean by that certain port for uplink? On the second router I have only one WAN and 3 LAN ports.

@maghreb yes, I leave the WAN connector empty on the second router, I enabled a setting from the router setup (use as an access point) and I entered the an IP address for the second router (i.e. 192.168.1.100)
<<

alecstheone

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:53 am

It works if I connect it directly to my first router (cisco).
I want to use the second router as an extension to my first one.

Is it ok if I just enabled the "use as an access point" and set up the IP 192.168.1.100???

Or should I so something else?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/54212179.jpg/
<<

bobsmo

Serviio lover

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 am

What is the IP address range of the first routers DHCP settings?
<<

alecstheone

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:09 am

192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.51
and I also tried setting the IP address of the second router to 192.168.1.40 (to be in range) instead 192.168.1.100 and still don't work.

The only thing is that in source menu on the tv a question mark and plex is shown but when I enter it I cannot see any shared media.

Are my steps correct of using serviio?:

I open serviio on the pc and I refresh the devices in the source menu of my TV.
A serviio logo appeared, I selected it and I selected the movie, photo or music...

this is how I used it before....

are there any other steps because now I can't see the serviio in the menu :(

or

should I set the second router IP address to the "bound IP address" in serviio?
<<

bobsmo

Serviio lover

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:16 am

alecstheone wrote:192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.51
and I also tried setting the IP address of the second router to 192.168.1.40 (to be in range) instead 192.168.1.100 and still don't work.

The only thing is that in source menu on the tv a question mark and plex is shown but when I enter it I cannot see any shared media.

No, I guess that should be OK. I have the opposite with my cisco/linksys routers, where in the 1st main router (IP address .1) DHCP range is .100 - .149, and the two other cisco/linksys routers I have connected to it (as you have to the LAN port) are .2 and .3 with DHCP set to off, but I guess yours should be OK as well.

http://homekb.cisco.com/Cisco2/ukp.aspx ... cleid=3733
<<

alecstheone

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:00 am

OMG !! Finally! After so many days of searching the internet and trying!!!

I made it!

I set the IP of the second router in the range of the first one (i.e. 192.168.1.40) and DISABLED the firewall (eset) and in this combination it finally worked.

The TV detected immediately the serviio software and also allshare and everything worked flawlessly!

Thank You very much for Your time and suggestions that pointed me to the solution!

Happy New Year!
<<

cara

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:04 am

alecstheone wrote:OMG !! Finally! After so many days of searching the internet and trying!!!

I made it! shell shockers

I set the IP of the second router in the range of the first one (i.e. 192.168.1.40) and DISABLED the firewall (eset) and in this combination it finally worked.

The TV detected immediately the serviio software and also allshare and everything worked flawlessly! melon playground

Thank You very much for Your time and suggestions that pointed me to the solution!

Happy New Year!

congrats, I'm having this same problem, I'll try putting the IP of the second router in range of the first router and see if that works.

Return to Samsung