FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

wake on LAN ?

<<

Cybmole

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon May 09, 2016 8:28 am

wake on LAN ?

I am having issues with a sony blu ray player that likes to wake up spontaneously and also turn the TV on.
I doubt its a serviio issue but I am seeking to eliminate all possibilities

sony has a feature called remote start which I see was set to ON - and it had added itself to my serviio connected devices list I see
192.168.0.30 BDP-S3500 Sony BDP-Sx100 (2013)

but I have never streamed to it,

so does serviio server do anything that the Sony could mis-construe as a wake on LAN command, or is that simply not possible ?

my main suspect is that we have another sony player in a rentad out extension, and somehow the remote for that is getting a signal to this one, many yards away ?. or that is is being woken by some miracast seek ?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon May 09, 2016 10:59 am

Re: wake on LAN ?

Very, very unlikely to be related to Serviio - WOL uses a specific sequence of packets (magic packets). Sony may have implemented a proprietary scheme though.

Easy to prove if it's Serviio - simply disable the device in Serviio Console (status tab, edit and uncheck). If it still happens after that it confirms its not Serviio. I'd rule out the remote from the extension first....
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Cybmole

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon May 09, 2016 11:22 am

Re: wake on LAN ?

DenyAll wrote:Very, very unlikely to be related to Serviio - WOL uses a specific sequence of packets (magic packets). Sony may have implemented a proprietary scheme though.

Easy to prove if it's Serviio - simply disable the device in Serviio Console (status tab, edit and uncheck). If it still happens after that it confirms its not Serviio. I'd rule out the remote from the extension first....

thanks - I did more testing and it seems to be overpowered, indiscriminate sony remotes that are to blame. the remotes provided with the players are not needing line of sight and I can stand in the middle of the back graden and activate both indoors sony blu ray players, with either of the sony remotes. Dunno what tech they are using ? the neighbours are now probably scrambling for an explanation as to why their players were also going on and off :)

one player did have "remote start" on/off in its network menus. google says that needs a "wake on lan" signal from something that has the IP address and the device MAc - and serviio does have those.... but I've disabled that setting.

Return to Sony