FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PS4 and online subtitles

<<

mr_ade

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:14 pm

PS4 and online subtitles

Hello everyone, I'm new to serviios and so far I really like it. It seems to be working very well with the PS4 media player, especially with external subtitles (served without transcoding, which is a big deal for me).
My only problem right now is with the online subtitles option.
I enabled automatic online subtitles but it doesn't seem to be working. Buy looking around the forum I understood that the subtitles are automatically downloaded in real time when the client is browsing the file, however this doesn't seem to be happening.
With my playstation I browse the folder, I play a video, but no subtitles are shown.

Do you guys have suggestions on what I'm missing here?
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:12 am

Re: PS4 and online subtitles

I had some difficulty with this also, but I can confirm it works. It would seem that Serviio adds the subs to the DLNA resources after they have first been advertised, and it seems that the PS4 may be caching the initial result. Since Serviio tries to go ahead and fetch subs for all the items in a particular folder which is browsed - I have had more luck by browsing by title (smaller list of content) rather than by browsing the whole Movies folder. If you give it a few moments to fetch the subs before immediately launching the film it should help also.
It is great that the PS4 seems to be one of the very few renderers that actually supports soft subs. It's a pity the Xbox One Media Player doesn't. I wonder how long until the Xbox One S plays HEVC natively.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

mr_ade

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks for your answer. So if I got it right I should wait a little bit before starting the video, right? Do you know if there's a way to be sure that serviio is actually looking for the subtitles? like some sort of logs?
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:34 pm

I think so yes. And here is how you turn up the logging detail: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=detail_logging
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!

Return to Sony