FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Upgrading to 2.0 (please advise)

<<

litljohnny

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:47 pm

Upgrading to 2.0 (please advise)

Hi,
I'm using free Serviio 1.5.2 on Windows 7 (x64) and viewing on Sony Bravia TV since a couple of years without any problem and I really like this soft, its simple configuration, its seamless integration with Windows and the TV interface.

The only complaint I could have is that there is no support for lots of audio (e.g. wav files) and video formats (e.g. some avi files). Actually I don't know if it is up to Serviio server to support those file types or the TV (or both). Also in my version, it doesn't seem any transcoding is supported.

Anyway, I'm willing to upgrade to the latest version provided it supports what is lacking in my 1.5.2 version and also if I don't lose any aspect of the simple interface and the low cpu usage I have with this version.

Thanks for your advice
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Re: Upgrading to 2.0 (please advise)

You are confusing a container (.wav .mkv .avi) with codec (the actual form of audio or video). Some containers can hold more than one type of codec, so that is why you might experience some files that play and some that won't, even in the same container.

If it doesn't require transcoding in your current version, it won't either under 2.0. It's up to your player/TV what can play natively, not Serviio. Newer versions of Serviio might have better profiles for your particular TV, although I don't think there's been much done on the Sony profiles in quite a while.

There is of course no cost to try version 2.0, but if you decide you want to go back you have to do a clean install. You can't install an older version over a newer version of Serviio. The developer is constantly making improvements that won't work well with older versions, as well as database modifications, and a downgrade install won't alter those changes back.

Serviio supports virtually every codec, but as I said it's up to your TV or player as to what can play without transcoding. No Serviio update can ever change that.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

litljohnny

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:39 am

Thank you so much for your detailed info but does the 2.0 have the transcode capabilities on the server not on the TV device so that it can transcode to the format supported by TV ? something like the Playstation's Universal Media Server ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 am

litljohnny wrote:Thank you so much for your detailed info but does the 2.0 have the transcode capabilities on the server not on the TV device so that it can transcode to the format supported by TV ? something like the Playstation's Universal Media Server ?

This is precisely what Serviio is designed to do. It uses a profile to compare the media to the player (TV), and anything that is determined to be unsupported is transcoded. It then sends the video to your player/TV in a format that it supports.

I don't know what model Sony TV you have, but there are a number of different Sony profiles contained in Serviio. Sometimes you have to experiment with different profiles to get the best match, and on occasion a profile for a completely different brand may work the best for you. On rare occasions a profile might need tweaking to work the best for your device, and there are many users here that can assist you with that.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Sony