<<

rooob

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:52 pm

Slow category navigation on Sony Android TV via Video app

I have this setup:
- servio 2.0 running on iMac Mojave accessing a WDMYCLOUD NAS
- Sony KD55A1 running Android 8.0

After installing the first Bravia Android Oreo version (and subsequent update) the stock Video app connected to serviio is extremely slow to navigate the categories supplied by the serviio server. You go through the folder till, i.e., Last video played and than try to go back and it takes ages only to show the folder.
Obviously I thought about a bug in Sony software (and it could be since it is still fast through a Sony BDP S5100 player), but than I realize that using a different DLNA server (twonky supplied directly by WDMYCLOUD nas) it is still very fast in the navigation (although with fewer functionalities).
I've tried to reinstall serviio, resetting the creation of metadata since the new video app is displaying thumbnails also for folder to non avail...
Any suggestion? anyone as reported it?
<<

gobater

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:19 am

Re: Slow category navigation on Sony Android TV via Video ap

Hi, I also have the same issue. There seems to be a kind of incompatibility with sony android devices. My Bravia TV and Xperia Phone suffer this issue with the stock app. Maybe a profile topic? I use the generic DLNA Profile
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:24 pm

I don't think it's an Android issue. My Nvidia Shield runs on Android, and I have no problems with slow navigation when using Kodi or MrMC. It might take a few moments to load each category when I select it, but that is usually based on the number of titles that have to be loaded.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

gobater

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:17 pm

It is definitely a Sony Android TV issue. I can navigate through the server with BubbleUpnp but the "Video" app supplied with my Sony Android TV and my Sony Xperia Mobile Phone is very slow navigating (it takes minutes to show the categories)

Any suggestions?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:58 pm

Yeah, I've heard that numerous times about the Sony Android TV OS. Just not very responsive. The only solution is to use an outboard device instead of the TV apps. I stopped using the built in Samsung apps years ago, because they don't hold a candle to a Roku, Fire TV or Shield player. There's nothing that can be done to improve the performance of the TV apps.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

gobater

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:47 pm

I am sure there is something "special" in Sony's implementation of DLNA protocol that does not play well with Serviio (nothing related to App speed).
I don't know about Samsung apps (I only had an old F series which was quite responsive), or Roku, but don't know why I should need another box instead of using the features of my TV? I have tried other apps (like Kodi) and even if much more responsive, they do not manage sound as well as my stock App does.

The TV is recognized as a "MediaRenderer" by serviio and gets assigned the default "Generic DLNA profile". Changing to a profile with the "SonyDLNAMessageBuilder" improves quite a lot navigation speed, but it is still slow, at least the first time. I can play a little with the profiles but it seems that a customized "MessageBuilder" could help. Where can I find some information about the "special" message Builders? (Samsung also has its own)

I could try to get and provide a PCAP trace if it would help.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:12 pm

Huh, I had never noticed that <ContentDirectoryMessageBuilder> label before. I have no idea what it does. It's only used 12 times in the Profiles file: once for the generic, and the rest Samsung, Sony and Panasonic. In my experience creating the Roku profiles, it's not something that was ever used. It's mentioned on the Support page about building profiles, but there's no explanation about what it might do. I did a quick web search, but found nothing of interest.

The most important reason for using a profile designed for the player is for better compatibility. I can't say if that might make it more responsive, but stranger things have happened before. :D But if you're using a Sony TV you'll most likely get the best experience using one of the Sony profiles.
Dan

<<

gobater

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Today I updated my TV to Android 9 (Pie). Sony has now a new "Media Player" Stock App instead of the old "Video" app.
I have also installed Serviio 2.1 in my NAS and navigation seem much faster in my TV (using the generic profile).

Don't ask me what has changed...

Return to Sony