FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sony TV finding Servillo Media Server ?

<<

DirtyDick987

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:46 pm

Sony TV finding Servillo Media Server ?

I have a new Laptop, and have installed Serviio 2.1
I have set a couple of folders, holding videos.
I have a Sony TV, and have previously had a Serviio account, but have forgotten my OLD User name !!

I have set up a new account.
When I go to the Media Servers on the Sony TV I can only see all the OLD account details.

How do I get my TV to see the Shared Folders on my NEW Laptop ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:49 pm

Re: Sony TV finding Servillo Media Server ?

OK, I'm not following you. Your Serviio user name and password are only used here in the forum. They don't have anything to do with running Serviio itself.

Can you be more specific about what you are seeing from the TV, and why you don't think it's accurate?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

DirtyDick987

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:27 pm

atc98092 wrote:OK, I'm not following you. Your Serviio user name and password are only used here in the forum. They don't have anything to do with running Serviio itself.

Can you be more specific about what you are seeing from the TV, and why you don't think it's accurate?

I can't log on with my OLD profile
<<

DirtyDick987

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:59 pm

atc98092 wrote:OK, I'm not following you. Your Serviio user name and password are only used here in the forum. They don't have anything to do with running Serviio itself.

and I can't get my NEW Laptop to appear on the TV Media Players

I can see a list of my old Laptop
Last edited by DirtyDick987 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:00 pm

Log into what? MediaPlayer? Starting with Serviio 2.0, there's a new user accounts function, so that users can log into MB and only be granted access to the media you decide. You create users in the console on the Users tab. After that, you have to grant that user account access to each shared folder in your library. If you have 6 shared folders (I have 9 myself) you have to grant access to each one separately. Click the Edit button on each shared folder and you will see where to add access for each user.

If it's something different, please let me know and we'll figure it out.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:06 pm

DirtyDick987 wrote:

and I can't get my NEW Laptop to appear on the TV Media Players

I can see a list of my old Laptop

If you are referring to Windows Media Player on your laptop, it won't play from Serviio anyway. For some reason it will see Serviio, but won't show any playable media. I don't think it's actually DLNA functional. If your old laptop has the same IP address as the new laptop, Serviio won't see a different device so won't change anything.
Dan

<<

DirtyDick987

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:34 pm

atc98092 wrote:Log into what? MediaPlayer? Starting with Serviio 2.0, there's a new user accounts function, so that users can log into MB and only be granted access to the media you decide. You create users in the console on the Users tab. After that, you have to grant that user account access to each shared folder in your library. If you have 6 shared folders (I have 9 myself) you have to grant access to each one separately. Click the Edit button on each shared folder and you will see where to add access for each user.

I used to have Serviio on my OLD laptop. That has now been scrapped and I now have a new laptop, and have installed Serviio 2.1.

I have a Sony TV, that shows Seviio on, in the Media Server Section. I now try to find my NEW laptop, but nothing ! Seviio shows on my TV several times, but all from my OLD Lenovo laptop, my new one is an ASUS

I have been trying to post a photo, but without success, sorry !
<<

DirtyDick987

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:37 pm

DirtyDick987 wrote:
atc98092 wrote:Log into what? MediaPlayer? Starting with Serviio 2.0, there's a new user accounts function, so that users can log into MB and only be granted access to the media you decide. You create users in the console on the Users tab. After that, you have to grant that user account access to each shared folder in your library. If you have 6 shared folders (I have 9 myself) you have to grant access to each one separately. Click the Edit button on each shared folder and you will see where to add access for each user.

I used to have Serviio on my OLD laptop. That has now been scrapped and I now have a new laptop, and have installed Serviio 2.1.

I have a Sony TV, that shows Seviio on, in the Media Server Section. I now try to find my NEW laptop, but nothing ! Seviio shows on my TV several times, but all from my OLD Lenovo laptop, my new one is an ASUS

I have been trying to post a photo, but without success, sorry !

https://www.flickr.com/gp/25435614@N07/094V40
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:21 pm

Ah, OK. Sony. Yes, they keep a persistent list of media servers seen on the network, but as you probably noticed they are grayed out. You need to remove the old ones from the list. It's under the Settings, Connection Servers if memory serves me.

Now, why isn't the new Serviio install appearing? With wireless devices, it's usually a setting in the router that is blocking the wireless device from the rest of the network. They usually call it something like Local Access, or Client access, or sometimes something completely different. But what it does is block the WiFi connected device from seeing anything on the local network, and nothing on the network can see the wireless device. It's a safety/security feature that is worthwhile for someone that uses your network on a guest basis, but not for your trusted devices.
Dan

<<

DirtyDick987

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:21 am

atc98092 wrote:Ah, OK. Sony. Yes, they keep a persistent list of media servers seen on the network, but as you probably noticed they are grayed out. You need to remove the old ones from the list. It's under the Settings, Connection Servers if memory serves me.

Now, why isn't the new Serviio install appearing? With wireless devices, it's usually a setting in the router that is blocking the wireless device from the rest of the network. They usually call it something like Local Access, or Client access, or sometimes something completely different. But what it does is block the WiFi connected device from seeing anything on the local network, and nothing on the network can see the wireless device. It's a safety/security feature that is worthwhile for someone that uses your network on a guest basis, but not for your trusted devices.

Thanks Dan, managed to get rid of all the "ghost" media servers of my TV (could only say Yes / no to having them visible, so said No to them all)

As for the Firewall, still scratching my head, could be a long day !!
Rick

Dan, all sorted !! The problem was ( I had forgotten !!) I have a VPN ! So just went through the main router . My nephew came round and he remembered ! Thanks to everyone for help & suggestions
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:22 pm

I don't know why tv's and set top boxes do that but it freaks me out. When I stayed at a lot of airbnb's they always had a router with bad security and log with mac addresses of everyone who stayed there, and the time warner set top box had a page "devices" that had every device, ip, mac address and a photo of the device iphone samsung laptop whatever and if it had a custom hostname Phil's Iphone. I couldn't believe it each places the devices pane was 3-5 pages they never reset or deleted anything or care about security. If someone wanted to they could camp out in a van and rip off everyone who stayed there haha. Such is "free" wifi always have your own source I guess. Anyway I know this doesn't add much glad you figured it out, I thought it was the server on dynamic ip so that would have been wrong. Too bad there isn't an option to turn this device logging off. And just have whatever is broadcasting when you look show up.

Return to Sony