FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

hesitation

<<

sanddoc

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:53 pm

hesitation

Hi
Thanks for the help in my last posting, now I have another question.

This does not use to happen all the time, but now it is regular when playing a movie

the movie freezes then starts again.. this happens throughout the movie.
MY TV is a Sony Bravia smart TV, my laptop is an apple MacBook Pro running High Sierra
I'm on a wireless network and not more the 20ft from the router.

now last week this hesitation did not occur, the other day it started, again... it has happen in the past
sometimes for many minutes the video was froze in place.

I can live with a little in convenience but not to the current constant hesitation.
I don't know much about these media servers, but I would think that a 20mb buffer or something like that
would be a good think... Serviio might already have it, I tried to do some reading on this server but not
much info I could find.
Best
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:00 pm

Re: hesitation

There's not much value to a buffer at the server end. It already has all the content. A buffer has to be something the player has within it, and that's outside Serviio's control.

For random playback issues like there, there's generally two causes. Either a bottleneck within the computer, such as something causing extreme hard drive usage beyond what Serviio is using (not very likely, but should be considered), or something saturating the network connection. Since you're using WiFi, it's also possible that some outside device is causing interference as well. You might try changing the channel used in your router to look for a quieter frequency. There are programs you can run on your laptop that can scan the WiFi bands and identify the best channel to use, but I can't make any suggestions for a Mac.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

sanddoc

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:18 am

Re: hesitation

Thanks Dan

I'll look into this further. It might be the cpu being over used...
since in the past I have run movies with no hesitation...
I'll look at the activity monitor..
thank you for the input.
Best

Return to Sony