FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MKV always stutter.

<<

richieK

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:12 am

MKV always stutter.

Had serviio for a long long time since version 0.6x and MKV's have always stuttered in every version (on current v2.2).

Don't use it much these days but with MKV files seeming to be the norm and stuttering playback to my old Sony Bravia TV 32EX503 is a pain (Sony 2010 Profile). I usually just re-encode MKV files to AVI or MP4 as a fix but would be nice not to have to do this.

Anyone know why? and maybe know of a fix?

MKV files play perfect direct on my PC.

Appreciated.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:15 am

Re: MKV always stutter.

MKV is a container, and doesn't mean anything by itself. We would need to know the contents of your MKV container to determine what the issue might be. The vast majority of my media is ripped into MKV containers, and there's no stuttering.

Stuttering could also be a network issue, so you might try putting one of your files on a USB stick and see how the TV plays it directly connected.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

richieK

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:31 pm

Thanks atc98092 for your reply, yes MKV is a container and it doesn't seem to matter if it's H.264/H.265/MPEG etc with Audio variations they never work properly. I figured it may be a transcoding or codec issue or something within Serviio.

Part of the problem is MP4 has superior compatibility for playback on devices in general and you don't see Youtube using MKV.

I always re-encoded to MP4 or AVI (various video and audio formats) or found the same file as an alternative to MKV in the first place, however the loss of MKV's subtitle ability was annoying.

There is no network issue.

Note* There are obviously other DLNA servers to try but I've always liked Serviio and stuck with it.

So I've just tested Mezzmo 6 and there is no stutterning/sync issues at all with any of my MKV files (tested 20 or so) streaming to the TV on the Sony 2010 profile. Sent the same files again with Serviio and they all stutter.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:32 pm

I was just looking at the Sony 2010 profile for someone else, and I noticed it contains a video bitrate limitation, which really makes the Serviio computer work hard. Depending on your actual TV/player, that limitation likely isn't needed. It's also transcoding to MPEG-2 video, which is more work than H.264. But without knowing the media contents of your folder, I'm merely guessing at where the problem might be. There's no Serviio issue, but there could very well be a problem with the profile you're using. Mezzmo might have a better profile that it's using for your specific player.

If you can tell me the contents of your media, I might have some idea what would help clear the issue. It's entirely possible a different profile will resolve it. You might try a few of the others, such as the Samsung or Roku TV profiles. Just be aware that if your TV doesn't support 4K, you need to use a profile that will catch H.265 video and transcode it to something supported.

But as I mentioned I use MKV containers for the vast majority of my library, and have no issues playing back on Roku devices, Nvidia Shield (using Kodi), other Android based players, and Samsung or LG TVs. Serviio does not have any issues with MKV container playback.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Sony