FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problems with MKV / H.264 on Sony BDP-S370 Bluray-Player

<<

Winterfell

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Problems with MKV / H.264 on Sony BDP-S370 Bluray-Player

zip wrote:There is no transcoding setup there. Can you confirm what file types you cannot play with this and supply result of:
  Code:
ffmpeg -i "<the_file>"

Here's a ffmpeg info dump on a file I could not play:

Input #0, avi, from 'XXXXX.avi':
Duration: 00:58:07.20, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1241 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: h264, yuv420p, 704x400 [PAR 1:1 DAR 44:25], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 50 tbc
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 128 kb/s

I tried adding this transcode
  Code:
      <Transcoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3">
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="h264" />
         </Video>
      </Transcoding>

Which marks it as "M2TS" on the player, but it would still not play it. I have a european player, so most other files I tried worked fine, including MKV
<<

insane822

Serviio lover

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:26 am

zip wrote:Can you try this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=305&start=10#p2748

(ProtocolInfo simple and then remove the format renaming)

I tried this and the video section completely disappears from the player.

I think one of the previous posters was on to something when they spoke to sony support. The player does indeed support video over DLNA, but it is currently MPEG2 only. The profile that I posted "works", but only because we are tricking the player. It works on pretty much everything I want to watch, but it is not 100%.

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry to inform you that the MPEG4 video files is not supported for playback on the Sony Blu-ray player using the DLNA feature. Please click on the URL below for future Firmware update for the Blu-ray player that will support the playback of MPEG4 video files.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-li ... dl=BDPS370

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team
C1V3
Alan
<<

aeproberts

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks for the profile. I will test tonight and post the results.
<<

aeproberts

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Tested on my BDP-s570 and the profile you provided worked great on all the files I was hoping to get working.

Downloaded .avi files played without any issues. I did experience some jumping/stuttering when trying to play files from my HD flip camera, but it was acceptable especially if I let it "buffer" for a while.

Thanks for posting the profile.
<<

aeproberts

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:12 pm

So the profile that was posted does a great job allowing us to play files that were not previously supported (especially .avis etc.) but it does not actually perform any transcoding.

In an effort to improve on this profile even further, maybe we can add some transcoding for currently unsupported files.
Post up what files are not working with the profile posted by insane822 so we can improve it further.
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm doing extensive tests with profiles, too, and I'm getting no precise results at the moment, because I'm struggling with two issues at the same time: First getting as many files as possible recognized by Serviio and second getting as many as possible of those in the library recognized by the player (and finally played without being displayed as damaged or causing the player to hang) without enabling transcoding in Serviio.

I don't know if that has been discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find any information: What exactly does the asterisk mean that appears as a prefix of several filenames in the Sony's list? I thought it might be added by Serviio to mark the files that were going to be transcoded, but I'm not sure anymore.

Have a nice one,
Low
| Serviio Pro 1.6 (Win Server 2008 R2, Athlon 240e, 4GB RAM, 6TB HDD) |
| Sony KDL-42W829B | Sony KDL-24EX320 | Yamaha BD-S677 | assorted iDevices |
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Lowlander wrote:What exactly does the asterisk mean that appears as a prefix of several filenames in the Sony's list?

It marks last viewed episode or a series.
<<

wellg81

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:17 pm

This profile works great, thanks jackal.

<Profile id="9" name="Sony BDP-S370" extendsProfileId="1">
<Detection>
<X-AV-Client-Info>.*Blu-ray Disc Player.*</X-AV-Client-Info>
</Detection>
<MediaFormatProfiles>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">MATROSKA</MediaFormatProfile>
</MediaFormatProfiles>

<Transcoding>
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" />
<Matches container="mpegts" vCodec="h264" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>
<AutomaticImageRotation>true</AutomaticImageRotation>
</Profile>

I have had trouble with seviio linux edition. (ubuntu 10.4, pentium 4 2core, 2gb ram) I had the stuttering issue with anything transcoded. I slapped a copy of XP pro on and works a treat.

Also if I set the number of CPU cores to use for transcoding to 2 i get the stuttering issue return.

otherwise works a treat.
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:51 am

Hey wellg,

(I think) this is the first profile in this thread where h264 is transcoded. My S370 plays mkv containing h264 and ac3 just fine, so I didn't feel the need to transcode anything so far.

Have a nice one,
Low
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:21 am

Lowlander wrote:Hey wellg,

(I think) this is the first profile in this thread where h264 is transcoded. My S370 plays mkv containing h264 and ac3 just fine, so I didn't feel the need to transcode anything so far.

Have a nice one,
Low

Are you able to fast forward MKVs or do you get the same problem as me that when you resume playback it keeps stuttering and you have to restart to player to play it normally again.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

zip

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:26 am

So can the player play MKV with h264? The profile above changes MKV's mime-type (so it can be played natively) but further down is included in transcode config to transcode MKV's with H264 into MPEG2TS.

And can someone post protocolInfo for the player (EU/NA versions)?
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:19 am

Via a flash drive it can play MKVs with H264 video with out any work

Via DLNA it can play MKVs with H264 renamed to .AVI or by creating a symbolic link (file.AVI -> RealFile.mkv) or by using the profile to change mime type - no transcoding is required however when doing this after fast forwarding the video will stutter and will never recover until you restart the player.
Will

<<

zip

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:35 am

Code:
<Detection>
</Detection>
<MediaFormatProfiles>
</MediaFormatProfiles>

<Transcoding>
<Matches container="mpegts" vCodec="h264" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>
<AutomaticImageRotation>true</AutomaticImageRotation>
</Profile>

Also I read somewhere that it doesn't play MP4/Mov? Should the transcode portion include:
  Code:
<Matches container="mp4" />

Next thing, you only transcode videos with h264, don't you want to transcode all codecs? In that case you should remove vCodec from the Matches definitions.

And last but not least, Illico proposed this profile some time ago (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=326&start=50#p2516). It doesn't include any transcoding and still plays a lot of files. Could someone try expanding that to play as many files as possible natively?

ProtocolInfo for the player would help: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:09 pm

In device spy only urn:schemas-sony-com:service:IRCC:1 is available (with X_GetStatus and X_SendIRCC)

It will happily play mkvs with H.264 video in them if you change the mime type or rename them to .avi, however you can't fastforward them - this is without any transcoding which is what I want to achieve

I just checked now and you can fastforward them if you put them on a flash drive
Will

<<

zip

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 pm

OK, can we just try to create a profile that works natively... and then we can put in some tuning for ffwd etc.

Code:
<Detection>
</Detection>
<MediaFormatProfiles>
</MediaFormatProfiles>
</Profile>

Can you try this profile and run it with as many formats as possible and list those that don't work? Illico added some links to files here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=425#p2339

Also please test with the latest firmware.
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:18 am

Zip,

with the above basic profile the it plays all of Illico's example files but hbo_trailer_6k. This looks like its starting, but never does - at least it doesn't for those 30 seconds I waited for a picture to appear. The player doesn't give any errors and can be returned to the menu. (This is not always possible btw, sometimes when the player tries to play a file which it can't play, you have to pull the plug.)

With the basic profile a lot of files are missing that played fine with my previous profile I have compiled from forum messages. E.g. all *.mp4-Files (avc-aac) are missing.

I'm sorry, but I still don't get the purpose of the asterisk that is prefixed to some file names. After playing those 7 examples, the first, 6th and 7th in the list are marked with the asterisk, the others are not. I have folders with complete seasons of tv series, and in a single folder (i'm watching the episodes one by one at the moment) all episodes are marked, whether I have watched them in the last months or not.
<<

zip

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:33 am

Ok, lets try to add more mime-type changes to try supporting those files that are not listed (still no transcoding):

Code:
<Profile id="10" name="Sony BDP-S370" extendsProfileId="1">
         <Detection>
      </Detection>
      <MediaFormatProfiles>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVI</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AAC_MULT5</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_TS_MP_SD_MPEG1_L3</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AC3</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AAC_MULT5</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_TS_MP_HD_MPEG1_L3</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AC3</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_TS_HD_50_LPCM_T</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_MP4_MP_SD_AAC_MULT5</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_MP4_MP_SD_MPEG1_L3</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_MP4_MP_SD_AC3</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_MP4_MP_HD_720p_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_MP4_MP_HD_1080i_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_MP4_HP_HD_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVC_MP4_LPCM</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">MPEG4_P2_MP4_ASP_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">WMVMED_BASE</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">WMVMED_FULL</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">WMVHIGH_FULL</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">WMVMED_PRO</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">WMVHIGH_PRO</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">VC1_ASF_AP_L1_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">VC1_ASF_AP_L2_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">VC1_ASF_AP_L3_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
      </MediaFormatProfiles>
   </Profile>
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:45 am

Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

Lowlander

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:38 am

zip,

I'll give the extended profile a try tonight. What difference does it make when you set all MIME types to video/divx instead of e.g. video/mp4? I had video/mp4 for all AVC_MP4* types in an extended profile I used previously. If it's basically just for the type of file the player displays in its list and the player doesn't care otherwise (as long as it is able to understand the file), it maybe nice to reflect the real type as close as possible in the profile.

While I've got ample .mkv and .ts files and some .mp4 (avc/aac), I have absolutely no material encoded with windows media codecs. Are there any example files around that meet the additional definitions you made?

CU,
Low
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

zip

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 am

I'd think some of these:

http://samples.ffmpeg.org/asf-wmv/
PreviousNext

Return to Sony