FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Streaming pauses for long periods

<<

macnab

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:54 am

Streaming pauses for long periods

By long periods I mean up to 20 seconds.
Problem has existed for at least 7 years, so unlikely to be Windows or MB or CPU or RAM. (See below.)

Serviio 2.1
Windows 10 21H1
Just upgraded MB and CPU from 3rd gen to 10th gen
New MB means new RAM
LG BH5140S
Ethernet through ZTE router.
Have tried different ports on the router.
Same problem when using WiFi.
Log file just shows when I start and stop play.

Changed xmx to 1024
Added buffer setting and changed to 128000
Stopped and started Serviio service afterwards

If it stops streaming and I press Stop and then Play sometimes it resumes immediately, sometimes I get as much as 10 seconds white screen before playback resumes.
Last edited by macnab on Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:26 pm

Re: Streaming pauses for long periods

We pause playback all the time without an issue. This sounds more like a player issue. With both Roku and Shield players we can pause playback for minutes or hours, and it picks right back up immediately.

Now I am referring to actual pause, not stopping and resuming playback. When you stop playback and then resume, it's absolutely the player that controls how the content resumes. If the content is being transcoded, some players will not resume at all, they just start over from the beginning. TV sets seem to be the worst for having decent media players. I've used Blu Ray players as well as media players for about a decade now. While I've played with the players built into the TVs, I gave up on them long ago as they are simply lacking too many features.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

macnab

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks for the answer.
I am talking about very slow stuttering. I am watching. I touch nothing. It freezes. For anything from 5 to 20 seconds, and then resumes. A little while later, anything from 5 seconds to 5 hours, it freezes again.
While it is frozen, if I press Stop and then Play, it sometimes resumes immediately, sometimes only resumes after a time.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:06 pm

OK, I follow you now. The playback is freezing without you doing anything to cause it. This unfortunately could be for a number of reasons. You might be having network issues. Your player may simply not be doing a good job. I looked up the LG model number and I see it's not a TV, it's a home theater audio system. I do see in its specs that it doesn't list the lossless audio codecs as supported, which seems very odd for a Blu Ray player. But it does list most audio and video codecs. However, it's still possible that the media is tripping up the player for some reason.

Does it happen with every title, or only some of your media? I'm trying to identify if it might be your media contents that are causing playback issues. I've had some ripped movies that would play for a little while on a Roku player, then suddenly pop up an unsupported codec message, even though it had been working before. In that case, they were Disney titles (Star Wars) that had some sort of DRM still buried within the video that MakeMKV hadn't fully removed.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

macnab

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:17 pm

I can go for weeks without a single problem. And it struggles. A different file plays ok. The next day, the problem file plays ok.

And I don't have another ethernet device to quickly swap while the fault is there.

The ideal is a logfile, but I can't find one in any of the usual places. The TV has no Ethernet.

I have just realised that I had to replace the HTS, and it did it with the old one as well. Also LG, but earlier model.
<<

macnab

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:43 pm

As a test, tried with Emby. Same problem.

So not HTS or Serviio.

Will have to experiment with router, cable.
<<

macnab

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:31 pm

If it helps, I tried Emby. Same problem. It has error logs:

Code:
2021-03-30 18:06:33.204 Error HttpClient: <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
<s:Body>
<s:Fault>
<faultcode>s:Client</faultcode>
<faultstring>UPnPError</faultstring>
<detail>
<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">
<errorCode>718</errorCode>
<errorDescription>ConflictInMappingEntry</errorDescription>
</UPnPError>
</detail>
</s:Fault>
</s:Body>
</s:Envelope>

2021-03-30 18:06:33.224 Error HttpClient: <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
<detail>
<errorCode>402</errorCode>
<errorDescription>Invalid Args</errorDescription>
</UPnPError>
</detail>

2021-03-30 18:06:33.227 Error PortMapper: Error creating port map
   *** Error Report ***
   Version: 4.5.4.0
   Command line: C:\Users\ndmma\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
   Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19042
   Framework: .NET Core 3.1.9
   OS/Process: x64/x64
   Runtime: C:/Users/ndmma/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
   Processor count: 8
   Data path: C:\Users\ndmma\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
   Application path: C:\Users\ndmma\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
   MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
<detail>
<errorCode>402</errorCode>
<errorDescription>Invalid Args</errorDescription>
</UPnPError>
</detail>

at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
      at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
      at Mono.Nat.Upnp.UpnpNatDevice.GetSpecificMappingAsync(Protocol protocol, Int32 publicPort, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
      at Mono.Nat.Upnp.UpnpNatDevice.CreatePortMap(Mapping mapping, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
      at Emby.PortMapper.ExternalPortForwarding.CreateRules(INatDevice device, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
   TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

Maybe this can help.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:00 pm

If Emby is doing the same thing, then it's something outside both Serviio and Emby. I can't tell for sure what that Emby log is saying, but it seems to be client error, and that points to the LG player. Since it's the same player with two completely different DLNA sources, it would seem to be the likely culprit.
Dan

<<

macnab

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Thanks for trying.

I have passed the info to Emby and to the Windows support forum.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 pm

My guess is they'll both point their finger at the LG player. that's what I'm seeing in the Emby log.
Dan

<<

macnab

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:16 am

I suspect it as well. But it did it with my previous one as well. And there is a profile for LG home theatres, so they do work.

Return to LG