FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Some Files not showing

<<

curiouse

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:53 am

Some Files not showing

I dont think its a LG TV problem but something i am missing or doing wrong somewhere . I download files and keep them in a file unconecte to Serviio until i have the complete series then i transfer the file from that file to the Video file that is assigned to Serviio , thats where the issue is .

I cut the file and paste it intot eh Serviio Video folder but they dont always show . Have tried Library Refresh , rebooting Laptop , rebooting TV , using task manager to end Serviio but nothing works .

Th other odd thing i notice is that Serviio is not on my start memory and is not shown as running when i booth my Laptop but it i turn the TV on and look a Inputs Serviio is there and i can play it eventhough i never loaded it . I hav used LG Smart share for years ant that always had to be physicly loaded and then i had to wait for it to apear , took forever some days and i would try to get it t show by refreshing , ending and rebooting , turnng off and on , with Serviio i dont have to do anything , its always on the input list .

I just created 2 folders in the shared video folder , one named Cronation Sreet and the other Emmerdale 2024 , i then copied a file from another series that we were watching last night and pasted it in each of the two new folders then pressed Librery Refresh and rebooted the laptop and powered up the TV ( its never in standby ) only the folder Coronation Street was visiable and the file inside it played but when i loades Serviio i caught sight of something in the top right hand corner being added , didnt see what it was though , was too quick .

Serviio seems a great program an suits our needs well but im stil learingg so any help , guidence or explination would be very much appreciated .
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:16 pm

Re: Some Files not showing

Most likely you have a sharing permissions issue with your folder locations. What is the operating system of the computer you are using for Serviio? Windows, Mac, Linux? Are you certain you're moving the files into the desired folder, and not just a shortcut/link to the original location? Serviio will not display files that are linked, only the actual files.

What I prefer to do is to create a folder at the root of the drive labeled "Media" or something similar. I then make that the Shared Folder location within the Serviio library settings, so that any folders I create and populate within that folder are automatically within the Serviio folders and can be seen without any further adjustment.

Have you assigned a user account to any of your devices that connect to Serviio? If you have, then that user must be given specific permission to access that folder location. So for example, if you have "user1" assigned to your TV in the Serviio console, and you have not given that user access under the Shared Folder settings then that device won't list the content.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

curiouse

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:31 pm

Thank you Dan , im using Windows 10 and I know im moving the files as i copy and paste several copies in different locations to get a better understanding of Serviio , where the transfered file is visiable i played it to confirm it is actualy a copy of the desired file .

Not sure how i set user permissions but as i only use the one laptop with a single Video folder and im the only user setup on Serviio users section +and i have been playing files from it then it must have the permissions needed .

I think i might have solved the issue while playing about with the Presentation , i now have only VIDEO shown as DISPLAY CATEGORY and lower down only FOLDERS wHich i selected DIAPLAY CONTENT ONLY , every other option is set at DISABLE . Now when i load Serviio on the TV i just have a single option shown VIDEOS and i only need select that and every folder that contains at least one file is there displayed .

If i have found the solution than thats great , i just need a simple list of the folders holding the different TV series as i did with Smart Share and play them , i dont need option filters for years , favorites last seen ect .

Does that make sense
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:55 pm

Yes, Presentations can get confusing with so many options. I only have five options visible, all of which are set to Display Category. I show Titles (which puts each movie title in alphabetical order and within a folder for that first letter), Series (which places all TV shows the same way as movies) Folders (in case I wish to browse based on each folder in my Serviio library: I have 7 different shared folder locations), Last Added (it's where I check to make sure a title was added correctly) and Playlists (I have dozens of playlist files that group videos together).

I might mention (and you may already realize) that your TV show episodes will not appear in the Titles or Movies presentation categories. Those two are only for Movies. And of course the opposite applies to the Series presentation, as it only shows TV episodes and not movies. The remainder of the video presentation folders will show movies and TV shows together based on that category.

You set the permission for each shared folder in your library (you said you only have one folder) in the settings for that folder. If you open that folder for editing in the Serviio console, you will see towards the bottom a field labeled "Users with access" and then any user name you've created in the console. You grant access to that user by placing a check in the box next to the name. That access control is applied in two situations. The first is using MediaBrowser to access Serviio via the web page. This requires a Serviio Pro license once you've passed the 15 day evaluation period after installing Serviio. The other is if you assign a user name to a device on the Status page of the console. By default no user is assigned to a device, meaning they have access to all folders in the library. But if a user is assigned to a device (again done within the Edit function for each device) then that device can only access a folder that they have been specifically granted access to.

It may sound a bit complicated, but it all makes sense when you look at the settings that are available for the library folders and device access.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to LG