FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

LG OLED65C8P

<<

421ImLate

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:07 pm

LG OLED65C8P

Hi,
Just got my new LG OLED65C8P and can confirm that the generic LG TV/Player DLNA profile works fine. The new TV also plays HEVC/X265 files without Transcoding.

Server Box - Asock Z68 Gen 3 MB, 16 gb DDR3@2133, 2X Powercolor AMD 290X, Win 7 Pro, 57 TB HD Storage. 2018 LG OLED65C8P, 2010 Samsung 46C6800, Serviio 1.9 Pro
<<

dovedescent7

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Re: LG OLED65C8P

Are you certain it's not using all those gpus you have or the igpu?

I'm getting my b8 on Friday and it just seems like kindof a general statement that the TV plays hevc without transcoding.

Have you tried streaming all the audio formats like atmos and dts x and others?
Like they all just-work?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:48 pm

No TV is going to support lossless audio codecs such as TrueHD/Atmos and DTS:X. It would require the new HDMI ARC protocol that isn't on any TV yet, and I don't know of any AVR with it yet either. Atmos via Dolby Digital+ might be a possibility from sites like Netflix. But I would expect any 4K TV to play H.265 video without issue.

The video codec isn't a problem, but the lossless audio codecs would. So if you're playing ripped UHD movies, the audio will still need transcoding. But the video will be fine. I can play my UHD rips on my 4K Roku TV with no video problems, but the audio has to be transcoded to standard DD. For lossless audio, I have to use my Nvidia Shield. Using it, I just use the generic profile with no transcoding at all.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

dovedescent7

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:48 pm

atc98092 wrote:No TV is going to support lossless audio codecs such as TrueHD/Atmos and DTS:X. It would require the new HDMI ARC protocol that isn't on any TV yet, and I don't know of any AVR with it yet either. Atmos via Dolby Digital+ might be a possibility from sites like Netflix. But I would expect any 4K TV to play H.265 video without issue.
The video codec isn't a problem, but the lossless audio codecs would. So if you're playing ripped UHD movies, the audio will still need transcoding. But the video will be fine. I can play my UHD rips on my 4K Roku TV with no video problems, but the audio has to be transcoded to standard DD. For lossless audio, I have to use my Nvidia Shield. Using it, I just use the generic profile with no transcoding at all.

"No TV is going to support lossless audio codecs such as TrueHD/Atmos and DTS:X. It would require the new HDMI ARC protocol that isn't on any TV yet"

This statement i dont debate. This is technically correct. But this tv appears to be transcoding the audio, downmixing, however you call it. And it still sounds amazing

:D :D :D The movies Just-Play :D :D :D

With my new OLED65B8 i've completely turned OFF all serviio transcoding, and this TV plays every.. single.. type of UHD rip and all other formats i've streamed to it. including DTS X TrueHD Atmos and EAC3. ( i dont have soundbar or av receiver)
This is using LG's Built-In DLNA. Where you select INPUT, and choose Serviio. Alot of times the HDR logo shows up on the TV while playing, and a few videos it shows DOLBY VISION and HDR in the upper right corner of the tv. (I'm not familiar with Dolby vision)
A friend brought over his collection for me to test and every single UHD title below, every one he had, played without stutter and without me having to transcode audio, on the OLED65B8, using Serviio inside Synology. The tv must have transcoded it.

I am absolutely blown away by this TV. The sound is excellent, though i'm sure alot of it is probably down-mixed to lower quality. The picture? Just unbelievable. I just fell in love with Movies again.
GONE are the days of mkvtoolnix etc, reencoding, worrying about needing new hardware, all the headaches. Everything just plays, no matter what i try. Nice work LG

The only area the TV is lacking in my opinion is of course the obvious- the HDMI 2.1 for future-proofing which i already knew when buying it. paid only 1675 USD for it
And at least over 1gbps hardwire(didnt try usb) the TV completely barfed when i tried to play the jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv 120 Mbps 3840x2160 HEVC Main10 5.1 High 438 MB
But all the vids i watch are 50-100mbps anyway, mostly the former.

Hope this helps someone. I was in agony about this tv's DLNA ability, coming from years of samsung, and this LG TV makes me want to throw my nu7100 in the garbage.

THESE TITLES ALL WORK FLAWLESSLY on OLED65B8 Via DLNA-no serviio transcoding
Final.jpg
Final.jpg (144.95 KiB) Viewed 6639 times

final2.JPG
final2.JPG (93.51 KiB) Viewed 6639 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:17 pm

That's fantastic that the TV is processing the audio without requiring transcoding. My preference of course is to use an AVR and get the full audio, but if you're in a situation that doesn't support adding external devices and speakers, it's great that it offers that function. My son-in-law has an LG 4K set (not OLED) and it too looks quite nice. But the audio has to be transcoded for his set. OLED is phenomenal, but it's just more than I'm willing to spend at this time.

I have no issue streaming my UHD rips to my Shield, which has a Gigabit network connection. My 4K Roku TV only has 100 Mbps Ethernet, and will sometimes have to buffer the video. I can watch my network stats and I see most of my UHD rips average around 80 Mbps, with peaks over 120. My wireless AC network doesn't seem to work very well, but it's a Belkin router that was released before the AC protocol was finalized, so I should probably replace it. The Belkin routers don't impress me at all with their user interface. Virtually no advanced control at all.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to LG