FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Help! LG CX OLED + LG SN9YG: what profile to use for Audio?

<<

Sky1111

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:22 am

Help! LG CX OLED + LG SN9YG: what profile to use for Audio?

Folks, needs some help here.

TV: CX OLED
Soundbar: LG SN9YG, connected via HDMI eARC
Serviio Server: Intel i5-6600, 24 GB RAM, NVMe for OS, and 7200rpm hard drives for storage
All devices are on gigabit network, although the the TV is only 10/100 (shame on you LG!)

So I got this uber expensive CX OLED, and then I added LG soundbar, naively thinking that with such investment I finally watch high quality MKV with Atmos and TrueHD sound, just to discover that it does not work - as many people discovered before me.
So what is the best I audio I can get out of my setup? is there a custom profile that will help with DTS, TrueHD and Atmos? Here is an example of file that does not play audio:
Dolby_TrueHD.PNG
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby_TrueHD.PNG (18.37 KiB) Viewed 15337 times
<<

Sky1111

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:35 am

Re: Help! LG CX OLED + LG SN9YG: what profile to use for Aud

Even though LG soundbar support pretty much all audio formats, damn TV will not pass them thru eARC (when internal player is being used)
I did try to play movies from HDMI-connected PC, but I see a very noticable picture quality degradation (vs build-in player), and I can't say the audio is good - even though I do get audio from the right soundtrack.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:23 pm

I haven't found a TV yet that supported Gigabit Ethernet. Although a good many do support 802.11ac wireless, which can be far faster than Fast Ethernet. In fact, even with external players I only know of two devices with Gigabit: Nvidia Shield and Apple TV. I use the Shield as my high performance media player, and have no issues with audio or video. I just use the generic profile in Serviio.

I've not experimented with eARC. My new LG TV has it, but my AVR doesn't. I know the lossless codecs are supposed to work over it, and that sound bar claims support for those codecs as well. I don't know if there's a setting in the TV that needs to be changed so it works via eARC, but you might look around.

If you want to try a different profile to at least get audio, the Roku 4K TV profile will transcode all lossless audio to AC3. No way to retain Atmos or DTS:X channels doing that, but you at least get audio. That profile uses HLS as the streaming protocol, and I believe LG supports it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Sky1111

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:07 pm

atc98092 wrote:I haven't found a TV yet that supported Gigabit Ethernet. Although a good many do support 802.11ac wireless, which can be far faster than Fast Ethernet. In fact, even with external players I only know of two devices with Gigabit: Nvidia Shield and Apple TV. I use the Shield as my high performance media player, and have no issues with audio or video. I just use the generic profile in Serviio.

I've not experimented with eARC. My new LG TV has it, but my AVR doesn't. I know the lossless codecs are supposed to work over it, and that sound bar claims support for those codecs as well. I don't know if there's a setting in the TV that needs to be changed so it works via eARC, but you might look around.

If you want to try a different profile to at least get audio, the Roku 4K TV profile will transcode all lossless audio to AC3. No way to retain Atmos or DTS:X channels doing that, but you at least get audio. That profile uses HLS as the streaming protocol, and I believe LG supports it.

Thanks, but I would like not to transcode blindly everything, as the TV actually does support few standards:

LG webpage: Audio Codec AC4, AC3 (Dolby Digital), EAC3, HE-AAC, AAC, MP2, MP3, PCM, WMA, apt-X

I do not know how to modify LG profile so it only transcodes audio that is not listed? Help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. TrueHD Atmos -> EAC3 Atmos - is it even possible with Serviio?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:00 pm

Yes, the Roku profile would transcode some of those, but not all of them. It would not transcode AAC, MP3 or PCM. I don't think it would transcode MP2, but it's not one I tested. No, there's no way to transcode TrueHD Atmos into DD+ with Atmos. At least not at this time.

You don't want to modify the existing LG profile. Every time Serviio gets an update the profiles.xml file is replaced with a new version. But Serviio supports a user-profiles.xml That way you can build your own profile and it won't be wiped with an update.

Creating a user profile isn't difficult, but you do need to ensure the code follows the correct format. The best text editor to use in my opinion is Notepad++. It will show properly formatted sections and help ensure that tags are closed properly.

To create a new user profile file, first just create an empty text file, then name it "user-profiles.xml". Inside the file, add these lines:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Profiles version="1.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://www.serviio.org/xsd/profiles/v/1.10/Profiles.xsd">

</Profiles>

Notice the blank space between the two <Profiles> tags. That space is where your new user profile is created. That section is started with <Profile> and closed with </Profile>. Note that these words are case sensitive.

Now you define the profile. So we start with the first Profile line:

<Profile id="LG_OLED" name="LG OLED TV" extendsProfileId="8">

I have set this to inherit the existing LG profile. I noticed that profile doesn't offer any specific trancoding, but does have a MediaFormatProfiles section. Now we add the transcoding section:
  Code:
<Transcoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3">
            <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="dca" />
         </Video>

</Transcoding>

I just copied this from a different profile. What this single line does is find any media in the MKV container that has DTS audio and transcode the audio to AC3. It will ignore DTS audio in a different container, and it will ignore any other container. It only transcodes the audio, so if you have H.265 4K HDR video, it remains intact. Now just add additional Matches lines to capture the media you know you have and the codecs you know they contain. For an explanation of what the Matches line needs and the values you can use, see this page: https://www.serviio.org/index.php?optio ... icle&id=24

For example, to transcode any Dolby TrueHD audio, regardless of container, your matches line would be "Matches container="*" aCodec="truehd" />
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Sky1111

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:56 pm

thanks but it is a little bit over my head unfortunately...
1. Will I lose anything if I just use Roku 4K profile?
2. Will it be easier to simply copy profiles.xml, rename it into user-profiles.xml, and edit there?
- if yes, which profile would be easier to modify - LG or Roku4K (meaning the minimal amount of changes)

Many thanks in advance :)
<<

Sky1111

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 pm

UPDATE: Roku4 2016+ profile did not work - most files simply disappeared from the list on the TV (specifically the ones I wanted to see any improvement
changing profile to Default restored all the files, however the audio playback issues are back.

So what do I do?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:13 am

Sky1111 wrote:UPDATE: Roku4 2016+ profile did not work - most files simply disappeared from the list on the TV (specifically the ones I wanted to see any improvement
changing profile to Default restored all the files, however the audio playback issues are back.

So what do I do?

OK, your TV must not support the HLS transcoding profile. Not all devices do. So no sense trying any Roku profile then. You might try some of the other TV profiles. There are Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba and Samsung. You might try some of the latest Samsung profiles, as the H Series and later are designed for 4K TVs.

As you your earlier question, in theory you could copy the profiles.xml file and rename it, but you'd have to delete virtually everything inside the file and enter what I provided. Nothing in the user profile file can duplicate anything in the main profiles file. Every profile needs a distinct name and ID.
Dan

<<

Sky1111

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:18 pm

Hi Dan,
I found your test user profile on another thread - for Samsung NU, and I cooked a Frankenstein user profile merging LG regular profile with Samsung NU profile (Samsung profile did not work for me - most of the files disappeared from the TV UI) Here is the source: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24892&start=20#p126633

Could please take a look? I have freakin idea what I am doing :)

I copied it to C:\Program Files\Serviio\config, and restarted Serviio service, console - but I do not see it in profiles :(
Attachments
Draft1_user-profiles.xml
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:45 pm

If that is the name of the file on your computer, Serviio won't see it. The file must be named user-profiles.xml.

But I see what's wrong. All the transcoding sections you added are not within the <Transcoding> segment. In fact, they aren't in any segment at all. You have the closing tag </Transcoding> but not the opening one. Also, it needs to be above the Online and Generic transcoding sections.

I've corrected that and attached the file back here. Give this a try and see how it works.
Attachments
user-profiles.xml
(2.95 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
Dan

<<

Sky1111

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:50 am

atc98092 wrote:If that is the name of the file on your computer, Serviio won't see it. The file must be named user-profiles.xml.

But I see what's wrong. All the transcoding sections you added are not within the <Transcoding> segment. In fact, they aren't in any segment at all. You have the closing tag </Transcoding> but not the opening one. Also, it needs to be above the Online and Generic transcoding sections.

I've corrected that and attached the file back here. Give this a try and see how it works.

Many thanks Dan,
but I cannot launch Serviio when this user file is present. Here is what I get:
Blank serviio.PNG
Blank serviio.PNG (4.73 KiB) Viewed 15271 times

The rest is black.

So since I could not recover Serviio by deleting the file, rebooting, etc. I uninstalled the Serviio, cleaned the whatever leftovers with CCleaner (both files and registry), reboot, and then re-installed again.
Confirmed that now Serviio can launch, copy the user profile.xml and reboot. After reboot, I hit the same problem - cannot start Serviio.

Here is what I found in the log:
2021-01-30 23:40:41,018 INFO [ProfileManager] Loading profiles from file /user-profiles.xml
2021-01-30 23:40:41,049 ERROR [XmlUtils] XML Profiles.xsd didn't pass validation, reason: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content was found starting with element 'GenericTranscoding'. One of '{ContentDirectoryMessageBuilder, ProtocolInfo, DeviceDescription, ResourceTransportProtocolHandler, ContentDirectoryDefinitionFilter, H264LevelCheck, AudioTrackRemux, AlternativeQualities, AutomaticImageRotation, AllowedImageResolutions, LimitImageResolution, Subtitles, ThumbnailsResolution, AllowChunkedTransfer, MultipleAudioTrackAware}' is expected.
2021-01-30 23:40:41,049 ERROR [MediaServer] An unexpected error occurred. Ending the application. Message: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles XML file is not valid (according to the schema). Check the log.
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles XML file is not valid (according to the schema). Check the log.
at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.parseProfilesFromFile(ProfileManager.java:186)
at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.loadProfiles(ProfileManager.java:160)
at org.serviio.MediaServer.main(MediaServer.java:136)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:62)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher$2.run(WinLauncher.java:96)
Caused by: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles XML file is not valid (according to the schema). Check the log.
at org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionParser.validateXML(ProfilesDefinitionParser.java:1054)
at org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionParser.parseDefinition(ProfilesDefinitionParser.java:154)
at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.parseProfilesFromFile(ProfileManager.java:184)
... 8 more

I hope that gives you an idea what that wrong. If you could try to fix the error, I will gladly verify it for you and share the error log if needed.
Thanks again!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:10 pm

That was strange. It didn't like the Generic Transcoding, but it's identical to other profiles. So, I just removed it as I believe we don't need to include it. Try this version and we'll see if it loads.
Attachments
user-profiles.xml
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
Dan

<<

Sky1111

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:16 pm

Thanks Dan,

I have good news and I have bad news:

Good news: Serviio console does start with the updated profile, and it does enumerate all the files

Bad news: the new profile does not work. More specifically
- video playback is messed up. the very file that is in the start of the thread, is only showing black screen. Some audio is playing, but as jump forward, audio would stop, but then if I jump back, it will come back. Still not sure if all the channels are transcoded though. TV player shows file properties as Dolby Audio

- other files would play, but it seems like they are running at fast forward pace, and there is lack of audio/video sync:
1080p_file.PNG
1080p_file.PNG (147.11 KiB) Viewed 15247 times

- 4k file - at the attempt to fast forward, ffmpeg took ~25% CPU, but the movie playback stopped (I guess it was trying to transcode). 4K video suffers the same fast forward playback:
4K_file.PNG
4K_file.PNG (130.4 KiB) Viewed 15247 times

By the way - no subtitles for any of the files, which make watching movies in foreign (for me) language very challenging

I see no errors in the Serviio log.

Thoughts? Is it possible to modify the logic of the profile that it does not transcode video, and does not transcode supported audio? I am more than willing to do all the testing and provide the any debug info.

Again, many thanks!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:58 pm

You will never get the subtitles, as the TV doesn't support image based subtitles. I don't know of any TV that does, and that's what is used on all DVD and Blu Ray discs.

Now, why is the video messed up? Man, I really have no idea. Personally, I'm not a fan of using the DLNA built into any TV, as they all have so many limitations. And if you want subtitles, the only reliable solution is an external player. Blu Ray players used to be a good solution, but virtually every company has been reducing their abilities via DLNA. Sony for instance no longer will bitstream DTS Master Audio, while they will pass TrueHD. Without having the same TV available to me, I can't really do much additional with that profile. Perhaps changing the Inherits from Generic to the existing LG TV profile might make a difference. Change the extendsProfileId= to "8" instead of 1 and reload Serviio.

If you want full audio and caption support, I can only suggest one player: the Nvidia Shield. I have the 2017 and 2019 versions (both the less expensive non-Pro versions) and they both play everything I have without transcoding. It has full support for almost every codec and container, and depending on the app you use can display any selectable caption and/or audio track within the media. I personally use Kodi, but MrMC and VLC will all pass everything as well.

The reason I suggest the Shield over other, less expensive Android based players available, is that the Shield has a Gigabit Ethernet jack, while everything else I could find is only Fast Ethernet. If you're streaming ripped 4K media, Fast Ethernet isn't fast enough. :D Often wireless might be sufficient, but I personally prefer my players wired if at all possible.
Dan

<<

Sky1111

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:43 am

atc98092 wrote:You will never get the subtitles, as the TV doesn't support image based subtitles. I don't know of any TV that does, and that's what is used on all DVD and Blu Ray discs.

Now, why is the video messed up? Man, I really have no idea. Personally, I'm not a fan of using the DLNA built into any TV, as they all have so many limitations. And if you want subtitles, the only reliable solution is an external player. Blu Ray players used to be a good solution, but virtually every company has been reducing their abilities via DLNA. Sony for instance no longer will bitstream DTS Master Audio, while they will pass TrueHD. Without having the same TV available to me, I can't really do much additional with that profile. Perhaps changing the Inherits from Generic to the existing LG TV profile might make a difference. Change the extendsProfileId= to "8" instead of 1 and reload Serviio.

If you want full audio and caption support, I can only suggest one player: the Nvidia Shield. I have the 2017 and 2019 versions (both the less expensive non-Pro versions) and they both play everything I have without transcoding. It has full support for almost every codec and container, and depending on the app you use can display any selectable caption and/or audio track within the media. I personally use Kodi, but MrMC and VLC will all pass everything as well.

The reason I suggest the Shield over other, less expensive Android based players available, is that the Shield has a Gigabit Ethernet jack, while everything else I could find is only Fast Ethernet. If you're streaming ripped 4K media, Fast Ethernet isn't fast enough. :D Often wireless might be sufficient, but I personally prefer my players wired if at all possible.

First of all, I want to say thank you Dan for trying to help . I apologize, but I really cannot figure how to modify these profiles. Serviio was working for many years for our family; and only with the recent updates in TVs I suddenly hit a wall with many of my files.
I did implemented plan B - Amazon 4K stick, modified to run Kodi, and that can really play any file, but there is a learning curve (never had Kodi before), but I feel like something is not right with the sound (Amazon stick is connected to LG Soundbar - > TV). I do miss the simplicity of Serviio, and very low network bandwith and CPU requirements (I tried PLEX, it literally maxed out network on TV, but even when it did not, it still could not play 4K properly)

Now back to the Serviio. Your LG TV in the signature audio codec spec are almost identical to mine; what profile are you using with it?
I still feel that it should be possible to modify LG profile to improve audio codecs.....
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:19 pm

I don't use the TV's built in functionality, so I've never assigned a profile to it. As I think I mentioned before, I gave up using any TV's built in functionality a long time ago. Every TV I've ever had just lacks far too many features for DLNA playback. Image based caption support is the biggest missing feature, but none show any metadata either. I first used Blu ray players as my DLNA player, until those started losing features. I still use Roku players, but they can't keep up with my UHD movie rips and lack support for many codecs. It's still a great choice for most of my media, but the Shield is the king for ripped Blu Ray discs and support for every codec and caption format.

While I do use Kodi as my primary player app on the Shield, my media is still being streamed using Serviio. Kodi can connect to uPnP media servers, which is how it sees Serviio. Yes, the learning curve is steep and high for Kodi. Many of the settings that need to be set are in the Expert level of settings, and you have to switch into those in Kodi because by default they only show the basic menu items. Within the Expert settings is where you enable audio passthrough and can tell Kodi what audio codecs your system can play. You also have to enable uPuP support in the Expert menu to find your Serviio server on the network. In that way, VLC is much easier to use, as it sees your DLNA servers automatically, without searching for it. VLC does still require some configuration so it will passthrough your audio untouched.
Dan

Return to LG