FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio working on local network but LG tv doesn't detect it

<<

naphelge

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:22 pm

Serviio working on local network but LG tv doesn't detect it

Hello,

I installed Serviio onto ubuntu server (22.04.3 LTS) and have been playing around trying to get everything working. Smart phones and tabs can connect and play shared content using a couple of different apps (HiFi cast and MediaMonkey), however, my LG TV (model 49UN7300AUD) does not even register on the recently connected devices list on the status page in the serviio's webgui console page. Both server and tv are connected via ETH.

Without really knowing what I am looking for, I poked around in profiles.xml file and see that there is no <UPNPSearch> field for anything LG*. Are there vendor specific profiles that can be added to the profiles.xml file to help devices find the server?

The TV is capable of receiving UPNP content as I had things working fine with emby with a different server (which this new server replaced).

Because of the sheer number of requests regarding access to external content when turning the tv on, I restrict the TV to local network access, except when checking for updates. However, in trying to help the tv to find serviio I have opened up access to it as well as disabling my firewall (ufw) to see if either might help. No change either way.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice or suggs to get my LG tv to detect serviio so content can be played on the tv I would much appreciate reading it. Thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:06 pm

Re: Serviio working on local network but LG tv doesn't detec

In some cases DLNA devices don't appear in the Serviio console until they have actually connected to Serviio. Roku devices are like this, but my LG TVs all seem to appear automatically. Is your LG TV capable of seeing Serviio, and if so will it play media?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

naphelge

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:25 pm

atc98092 wrote:Is your LG TV capable of seeing Serviio, and if so will it play media?

So the tv hasn't picked up serviio yet, but it can play UPnP media. Usually it will show up under a media server section in the tv's home section, or I usually can also navigagte to a Photos and Video section and the server should be listed there as well. I was using emby on a previous server for streaming shared content without too much issue. But it had a couple of quirky hiccups I was looking to avoid, and so I am trying serviio on this new server.

Here's a spec sheet for this tv model: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/tv-soundbars/4 ... un7300aud/

Is there a way to help facilitate the tv picking up the server, like perhaps adding some details in the profile.xml file by chance? There are lots of vendor specific details in the default one on my server, but nothing specifically detailing LG* devices.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:01 pm

With my LG TVs, Serviio appears as another selection when I press the Input button, same as my Samsung TVs. I can't think of anything in a specific profile that might impact a player (such as the TV) from seeing Serviio. Usually when a player can't see Serviio it's either a network issue (WiFi blocking devices from seeing each other is one example) or a firewall setting on the device running Serviio.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

naphelge

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:13 pm

atc98092 wrote:With my LG TVs, Serviio appears as another selection when I press the Input button, same as my Samsung TVs.

I will check the input options out tonight.

Usually when a player can't see Serviio it's either a network issue (WiFi blocking devices from seeing each other is one example) or a firewall setting on the device running Serviio.

So although I have thought of connecting both devices (server and TV) to a default vanilla switch, my router setup is allowing, without issue, serviio to serve up media to smart phones and tabs on the local network. Additionally, I have disabled the server's firewall completely to see if there might be a rule that needs to be added/mod'd, but still no go.

I did just notice when grabbing that specs page for my tv that it has wifi, so I will try connecting to the local network via wifi just in case, since all of the other devices that can see serviio are wifi devices. I can't see that this will likely pan out, but it should be something easy to check off.

I can't think of anything in a specific profile that might impact a player (such as the TV) from seeing Serviio

What are all of the vendor specific entries in the profiles.xml file for? I just assumed it might be to help with serviio to bubble up for different devices.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:54 pm

naphelge wrote:What are all of the vendor specific entries in the profiles.xml file for? I just assumed it might be to help with serviio to bubble up for different devices.

Those profiles are to determine what if any transcoding is needed by a specific device. For example, Roku devices only support a handful of containers, and even fewer codecs. So any unsupported media requires transcoding, and the profile defines the way the transcoding is done. If the device supports the codecs but not the container, then the profile can be designed to simply "transmux" the media into a supported container that uses the codecs as is. If the container is supported but either the audio or video codec is unsupported (for example, your TV likely cannot process the lossless audio codecs used on Blu Ray disc rips) then the profile tells Serviio to transcode just the audio or video codec (or both if neither are supported). The less transcoded required the less Serviio (and the device running Serviio) has to work to provide the media stream.
Dan

Return to LG