FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Switch from Win2K to Win7 and from 0.5.0 to 0.5.1

<<

DLNAhooray

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:50 am

Re: Switch from Win2K to Win7 and from 0.5.0 to 0.5.1

Cerberus wrote:i very much doubt that your tv will run at 130Mbit/s as the interface on your TV will be 10/100, so max it will run at is 100Mbit/s

DLNAhooray wrote:You are of course right. I was responding to zip having queried the network quality: I should have said the connection from PC to TV is standard hard-wired Ethernet (ie. not wireless) but with part of the run covered via a pair of Devolo power line units running at 130 Mbit/s (instead of their theoretical 200 Mbit/s)

Cerberus wrote:that would be were your bottleneck is them power line things are pure crap.

In my case there are only 4 alternatives:
- running a 50 m Ethernet cable around the place requiring the walls to end up with as many holes as a Swiss cheese in a spaghetti factory plus the expense of a divorce
- using a wireless connection where the neighbours have so many devices flooding all channels in all standards a, b, g, n at max signal strength so that even Marconi would get confused
- using a combination of Ethernet and power line units
- not being able to display my files on my TV

Luckily the power line units are far better nowadays than they used to be and since I installed mine a yet faster version has been launched

All I need now is a way to get also the iPlayer to output via Serviio onto the TV but, last time I asked, zip indicated that the BBC had either made it impossible or hadn't made it possible to do (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=255&p=4713#p3183)
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:13 am

- running a 50 m Ethernet cable around the place requiring the walls to end up with as many holes as a Swiss cheese in a spaghetti factory plus the expense of a divorce.

ok slightly comical take on it. Not everyone is capable of this but if your having decoratiing work done its worth the investment if you have DLNA evices in more than 3 rooms as wifi would then lag to much.

- using a wireless connection where the neighbours have so many devices flooding all channels in all standards a, b, g, n at max signal strength so that even Marconi would get confused

Bloody hell how many naighbour do you have ? that plain isnt possible, go buty a decent router like a ' Netgear N router ' and dont use channel 11 or 6 as then u will be running on 5ghz and not the normal 2.4ghz widely used system

- using a combination of Ethernet and power line units

Never a option in my opinion and i work in a computer datacentre, more hassle than they are worth.

- not being able to display my files on my TV

That just a defeatest attitude.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

DLNAhooray

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

DLNAhooray wrote:- using a wireless connection where the neighbours have so many devices flooding all channels in all standards a, b, g, n at max signal strength so that even Marconi would get confused

Cerberus wrote:Bloody hell how many naighbour do you have ? that plain isnt possible, go buty a decent router like a ' Netgear N router ' and dont use channel 11 or 6 as then u will be running on 5ghz and not the normal 2.4ghz widely used system

This is Germany, where multi-family houses are the norm especially in cities, so I have easily 50 potential or actual WLAN-users within 50 metres up, down and all around. I have the best router available for the 50Mbit/s VDSL fibre-optic connection.

DLNAhooray wrote:- using a combination of Ethernet and power line units

Cerberus wrote:Never a option in my opinion and i work in a computer datacentre, more hassle than they are worth.

See below

DLNAhooray wrote:- not being able to display my files on my TV

Cerberus wrote:That just a defeatest attitude

Which is why I choose not to be defeatist, but to go with a combination of Ethernet and power line units
<<

DLNAhooray

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:14 pm

DLNAhooray wrote:... I am, however, pretty sure that I had disabled all ... subfolders in 0.5.0 under Win2K ... I still have the old Win2K PC ... (and) ... plan to ... reconnect it to wipe all its HDDs and then dispose of it ... I will have a look at the Serviio console and check whether my memory is right or wrong ...)

Today was the day! I fired up the old Win2K PC and had a look at the Serviio Console settings before setting in motion the wiping of all of its HDDs.
I can confirm that all subfolders were set to "Disabled", with just the "Image", "Audio" and "Video" main folders remaining set to "Display category". Why this worked under Win2K but not under Win7 I can't say, but I imagine it's not even worth worrying about any more - there can't be many Win2K users out there using Serviio to view stuff on their DNLA TVs... or can there?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:21 pm

The OS should make no difference as it's an Java app.
Previous

Return to Panasonic