FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Panasonic 2015 profile (DS500 series) and Denon audio system

<<

Elmi79

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 19, 2020 1:37 pm

Panasonic 2015 profile (DS500 series) and Denon audio system

Hi,
recently I edited my Panasonic 2015 profile for transcoding audio tracks to aac because TV connected via optical fiber (PCM 48kHz) won't work with ac3.
Unfortunately some avi and mkv files won't play audio and Denon shows "unsupported".
Could you please anyone advise what I should edit to make all other video files use aac?

Thanks
Attachments
panasonic2015.txt
(2.66 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 19, 2020 2:06 pm

Re: Panasonic 2015 profile (DS500 series) and Denon audio sy

We would need to know what the unplayable files contain for codecs. Just saying AVI or MKV isn't enough to go on. Those are containers, and can contain more than one type of video and/or audio codecs (especially the MKV container). See the link in my sig line to help identify what is inside your media files.

Serviio will use the first match it finds in the profile, so placement of the transcoding line within the profile is important. Once we know what your unplayable files contain, then we can determine the best Matches line for them.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Elmi79

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 19, 2020 3:54 pm

atc98092 wrote:We would need to know what the unplayable files contain for codecs. Just saying AVI or MKV isn't enough to go on. Those are containers, and can contain more than one type of video and/or audio codecs (especially the MKV container). See the link in my sig line to help identify what is inside your media files.

Serviio will use the first match it finds in the profile, so placement of the transcoding line within the profile is important. Once we know what your unplayable files contain, then we can determine the best Matches line for them.

Mea culpa... log attached...
Filename are: "1998 - Depeche Mode - 101 - Disc 1.avi" and " - 2001 - The Exciter Tour - One Night in Paris - Live.mkv"
Attachments
serviio.log
(412.74 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 19, 2020 5:12 pm

The log might be helpful, but it doesn't identify the codecs within your media files. I can see that the AVI file is being streamed without transcoding. Same with the MKV file. So there's nothing in the profile that is matching the media contents. If you could provide that info for both files, then we can see what's happening with the profile.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Elmi79

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 19, 2020 6:11 pm

atc98092 wrote:The log might be helpful, but it doesn't identify the codecs within your media files. I can see that the AVI file is being streamed without transcoding. Same with the MKV file. So there's nothing in the profile that is matching the media contents. If you could provide that info for both files, then we can see what's happening with the profile.

Hope that you can find the cause...
Attachments
ffmpeg.txt
(9.7 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 19, 2020 8:44 pm

OK. The AVI contains MPEG-4/XVID video and ac3 audio. The audio should be no problem. But either your TV doesn't support AVI files (a strong possibility) or the XVID portion might be the issue.

For "2001-TheExciterTour-OneNightInParis-Live.mkv", the video is MPEG-2 and the audio is AC3. I have no idea why that one won't play, unless your TV can't handle the MKV container (not likely).

For "01-JustCan'tGetEnough.mkv" we again have MPEG-2 video, but this time it's 2 channel PCM audio. Again, that should play.

Looking at your Viera 2015 profile, I don't see a Matches line that would capture any of these. The two MKV files should play. Every North American TV set supports MPEG-2, as that's the broadcast standard for ATSC. Same with AC3 audio. There is a line that matches the AVI container with mpeg4 video, but it also has vFourCC qualifiers, and I have no idea what those are. I just did a quick search and see that they might be useful here for the AVI.

On the two lines you have the vFourCC qualifier, change it to "vFourCC="div3,div4,div5,divx,dm4v,dx50,xvid" Save the file and restart Serviio. If it starts successfully, then that was accepted and you can try to play the AVI file again. If it doesn't start, then that qualifier isn't accepted and we'll likely need Zip to weigh in here.

For the MKV files, I have no idea why they won't play. Please confirm if any other MKV files play, so we can ensure that MKV is a supported container. It might help to know the codecs used in one that does play.
Dan

<<

Elmi79

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 20, 2020 3:42 am

atc98092 wrote:OK. The AVI contains MPEG-4/XVID video and ac3 audio. The audio should be no problem. But either your TV doesn't support AVI files (a strong possibility) or the XVID portion might be the issue.

For "2001-TheExciterTour-OneNightInParis-Live.mkv", the video is MPEG-2 and the audio is AC3. I have no idea why that one won't play, unless your TV can't handle the MKV container (not likely).

For "01-JustCan'tGetEnough.mkv" we again have MPEG-2 video, but this time it's 2 channel PCM audio. Again, that should play.

Looking at your Viera 2015 profile, I don't see a Matches line that would capture any of these. The two MKV files should play. Every North American TV set supports MPEG-2, as that's the broadcast standard for ATSC. Same with AC3 audio. There is a line that matches the AVI container with mpeg4 video, but it also has vFourCC qualifiers, and I have no idea what those are. I just did a quick search and see that they might be useful here for the AVI.

On the two lines you have the vFourCC qualifier, change it to "vFourCC="div3,div4,div5,divx,dm4v,dx50,xvid" Save the file and restart Serviio. If it starts successfully, then that was accepted and you can try to play the AVI file again. If it doesn't start, then that qualifier isn't accepted and we'll likely need Zip to weigh in here.

For the MKV files, I have no idea why they won't play. Please confirm if any other MKV files play, so we can ensure that MKV is a supported container. It might help to know the codecs used in one that does play.

AVI are fine now - thanks a lot.
Some other MKV are ok. I'm attaching log and ffmpeg info.

I think that the problem is not TV but Denon that is unable to play ac3 or lpcm.
Attachments
serviio.log
(467.25 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
ffmpeg.txt
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed May 20, 2020 2:55 pm

OK, that video you provided the info on (John.Wick.2014.1080p.mkv) has H.264 video. Your profile has a Matches line for H.264 video, so it's being transcoded. That's why it plays. And it's also transcoding the audio to AAC, so the TV isn't seeing AC3.

It's possible that your TV isn't sending the AC3 out to your Denon. I'd be shocked if the Denon didn't support Dolby Digital. If it plays TV OTA audio, then it must, because the ATSC standard is AC3 audio.

It's impossible that the MPEG-2 video won't play, because that's what is being used in your profile as the target codec. So it must be the audio that's tripping it up for whatever reason. You currently have three video transcoding sections. Let's try adding a forth and capture whatever doesn't get matched in the first three. Add this directly above where the Audio transcoding section is located:

<!-- Transcode any remaining videos that contain AC3 audio -->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="aac" aBitrate="384">
<Matches container="*" aCodec="ac3" />
</Video>

This would go directly under the section that has the comment about DivX transcoding. Then see if your problem videos play. If it works, then for whatever reason AC3 is tripping up playback. This will only transcode the audio, so it's computer processor intensive.
Dan

<<

Elmi79

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 20, 2020 5:11 pm

atc98092 wrote:OK, that video you provided the info on (John.Wick.2014.1080p.mkv) has H.264 video. Your profile has a Matches line for H.264 video, so it's being transcoded. That's why it plays. And it's also transcoding the audio to AAC, so the TV isn't seeing AC3.

It's possible that your TV isn't sending the AC3 out to your Denon. I'd be shocked if the Denon didn't support Dolby Digital. If it plays TV OTA audio, then it must, because the ATSC standard is AC3 audio.

It's impossible that the MPEG-2 video won't play, because that's what is being used in your profile as the target codec. So it must be the audio that's tripping it up for whatever reason. You currently have three video transcoding sections. Let's try adding a forth and capture whatever doesn't get matched in the first three. Add this directly above where the Audio transcoding section is located:

<!-- Transcode any remaining videos that contain AC3 audio -->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="aac" aBitrate="384">
<Matches container="*" aCodec="ac3" />
</Video>

This would go directly under the section that has the comment about DivX transcoding. Then see if your problem videos play. If it works, then for whatever reason AC3 is tripping up playback. This will only transcode the audio, so it's computer processor intensive.

Unfortunately the receiver is just stereo and supports DSD, FLAC, WAV, ALAC. MPEG-4 AAC, MP3 and WMA (Denon CEOL N10).

I just checked some of the videos and it works... but still some shows unsupported (just audio, video works all the time ok).
Attachments
serviio.log
(499.57 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
ffmpeg.txt
(7.09 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed May 20, 2020 7:09 pm

Ah, a receiver with no surround support at all. Gotcha.

OK, those two both have PCM as the default audio track, with AC3 on additional audio tracks. I'm amazed it isn't taking that type of audio, so let's see if we can make a Matches line for that.

So, to that last bit I gave you, let's add one more matches line:

<Matches container="*" aCodec="lpcm" />

I'm not 100% certain that will catch it though. But if it doesn't you can change the AC3 track to be the primary, and then what we already added should catch it. You can use a program called tsMuxeR to reorder the audio. Since nothing is being converted, it goes really fast.
Dan

<<

Elmi79

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 21, 2020 1:45 pm

atc98092 wrote:Ah, a receiver with no surround support at all. Gotcha.

OK, those two both have PCM as the default audio track, with AC3 on additional audio tracks. I'm amazed it isn't taking that type of audio, so let's see if we can make a Matches line for that.

So, to that last bit I gave you, let's add one more matches line:

<Matches container="*" aCodec="lpcm" />

I'm not 100% certain that will catch it though. But if it doesn't you can change the AC3 track to be the primary, and then what we already added should catch it. You can use a program called tsMuxeR to reorder the audio. Since nothing is being converted, it goes really fast.

Works great, thanks a lot!

Return to Panasonic