FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Panasonic Viera TX-L42ET60E - problem with IPTV

<<

tvmainstr

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:38 pm

Panasonic Viera TX-L42ET60E - problem with IPTV

Hello,

i was trying hard to find answer here, also i tried some test but i am stucked.

So my problem is, that my ISP changed his codecs for their IPTV channels and my TV(throught serviio) cant play it anymore.

Old IPTVS with MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv) are fine, but new ones with -> MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265)
i cannot play.

Even in VLC. I googled bcs it was strange to unable play stream source throught VLC and i find solution:
  Code:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?p=481462

So i manualy turned off in VLC settings option:
Input/codecs / FFmpeg > hardware decoding to TURN OFF ...and.. it works again!

But i need to repeat this steps - turn off hardware decoding also for serviio.
I try to manipulate with profiles but it not working (i am not expert in this).

Can anybody help?
My TV is Panasonic Viera TX-L42ET60E.
Serviio v 2.1 (i have set profile to "Panasonic Viera (2013)")
- transcoding enabled
if i check here
  Code:
http://127.0.0.1:23423/rest/playback-status

i see this:

Code:
<playback>
<client>
<itemId>1001110060001814</itemId>
<itemTitle>http://xxx.yyy.zzz.ccc:4022/url/iptv-channel-name</itemTitle>
<playbackProgress>0</playbackProgress>
<clientIPAddress>192.168.1.5</clientIPAddress>
<clientName>Panasonic VIErA</clientName>
<rendererUuid>4d454930-0100-1000-8001-8cc1218a2c83</rendererUuid>
<itemTranscoded>false</itemTranscoded>
</client>
</playback>

(btw little bit offt-topic: if you can navigate me where i can force to set font size and color for subtitles in TV - bcs that TV havent any option to do that, i will be very happy too).

Many thanks!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:25 pm

Re: Panasonic Viera TX-L42ET60E - problem with IPTV

From the information I could find online, the Viera TX-L42ET60E is a 1080 full HD set from around 2013, so it doesn't support the H.265 codec. that means you need to transcode the video. Looking at the Viera 2013 profile in Serviio, it should be transcoding H.265, regardless of container. However, that's for local media. How exactly are you streaming your IPTV channels through Serviio? Are you using a plugin of some type?

What I don't see in that profile is an OnlineTranscoding section. I don't know if it's necessary for your use or not, but I think it might be. Just as a test, try using the Telenet Yelo TV profile and see if your IPTC channels work. It has an OnlineTranscoding section that captures everything, and would be a good test to see if that's it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

tvmainstr

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:06 am

Hello, thanks for message.

atc98092 wrote:How exactly are you streaming your IPTV channels through Serviio? Are you using a plugin of some type?

I havent any plugins installed, also i dont have any experience with them. For streaming I am using Library > Online sources > then i add for each station "Live stream" with ISP URL of IPTV channel. Media type set to Video.
On TV I go to serviio > Online > select source and play :). Like i said, it worked before they changed codecs. (One channel with old codec is still ok any playable).

(It would be nice to use also information for EPG, but this is for another topic (or some plugin? which it can handle to process it to TV).)

atc98092 wrote:Just as a test, try using the Telenet Yelo TV profile and see if your IPTC channels work. It has an OnlineTranscoding section that captures everything, and would be a good test to see if that's it.

I tested it but seems its not working, on my streaming protocol i see everything same, only this part is changed
  Code:
<itemTranscoded>true</itemTranscoded>

I run some test with Profiles
Panasonic Viera (2013):
MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv) - IPTV working
MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) - IPTV not working

Telenet Yelo TV:
MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv) - IPTV not working
MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) - IPTV not working

It looks like my TV cant handle it any way if we speak of support the H.265 codec? Because it worked on old profile (<itemTranscoded> was false).
Any plugin can help or i just need to buy new tv? :roll:

Any help will be appreciated, thank you.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:08 pm

H.265 is the video codec of choice for 4K material, so in general you only find support for it with 4K devices. Rather than replacing your TV, a more cost effective solution would be to use a streaming box that supports H.265. For example, and 4K version of the Fire TV or Roku players, or the Nvidia Shield. They are all capable of playing material streamed via Serviio, with the Shield supporting virtually any audio or video codec, and any container. Even the most expensive Shield would likely be half the cost of a new TV, and both the Roku and Fire players have 4K models around $50.

But if you've been looking for an excuse to finally get a 4K TV, you now have one... :D

That said, it still sounds like there could be a tweak to the profile you're using to transcode H.265 form online sources. Just be aware that transcoding H.265 takes a lot of processing power to do it in real-time.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

tvmainstr

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:23 pm

Hello again and thanks for help!

atc98092 wrote:H.265 is the video codec of choice for 4K material, so in general you only find support for it with 4K devices. Rather than replacing your TV, a more cost effective solution would be to use a streaming box that supports H.265.

I want buy next month ODROID-N2+ 4GB CoreELEC Edition, do you think it will work fine? (i wanna use KODI and other stuff around it - plugins,etc..).

I was google some stuff around that codec and I found old topic about it here (topic about that codec).

Code:
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=39970

From other sources I was reading, that is good for use.

atc98092 wrote:But if you've been looking for an excuse to finally get a 4K TV, you now have one... :D

:D

Thanks for any tips.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:40 pm

Any of those generic Android boxes would likely work fine. My Shield is just an expensive Android box, although it does have a Gigabit Ethernet jack and the newest one supports Dolby Vision. I use Kodi on both of my Shield players, and it's my primary player app. You have to configure it to see Serviio (it doesn't see uPnP servers automatically like VLC does), but that's a one time thing. I don't use any plug-ins, so can't comment about how they work. But at least with the Shield I can play everything I have without transcoding, in any container and with any codec, and also view any captions available. Kodi is far more difficult to set up to take advantage of everything it can do, but once it is set up you should be good.
Dan

<<

korgsam

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:49 pm

I had a similar issue with my TV and IPTV. Turning off hardware decoding in VLC did the trick for me as well. I'm not too familiar with Serviio, but maybe you could explore its settings and profiles a bit more. Hopefully, someone with more experience can chime in and provide a solution.
<<

Mayki

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:55 pm

I had a similar problem with my TV when my ISP changed codecs for IPTV. It was frustrating to keep up with all the technical adjustments. I tried tweaking settings and even used VLC like you did, but it was a lot of work and unreliable.

So, I switched to a different iptv service. This change made things easier for me. No more messing with codecs or worrying about settings. It works smoothly on my devices, like my smart TV and phone, everywhere I go.
Serviio 0.1.2. and Samsung TV UE40C6620 and Samsung TV UE55ES6570 and Synology 212j

Return to Panasonic