FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BTT590 mkv playback issues

<<

raphski

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:57 pm

BTT590 mkv playback issues

Hello!

Done a fair bit of searching, but sure you'll be happy to hear I'm another new kid to serviio and dlna gubbins in general, so may well be this is one of those things that's been covered before. Searches would suggest they've not been though, so advance apologies if I've messed up.

Anyway, got a Panasonic BTT590. Running Serviio on a mac running up to date snow leopard. Seems to bs defaulting to the Panasonic Vieria (2010) profile and doesn't play anything if I try any of the other two viera profiles I see.

So things almost work. Except mostly they don't. Either things don't work at all, or they do sometimes. When they do, they tend to not work very well.
By things, I'm talking about playing MKV files. With a mixture of 6.1 and 2ch sound in them. Main issue seems to be because it will only play these files by transcoding. I've tried the same files as m4vs and re encoded mkvs with header compression off. Same deal. As soon as I turn transcoding off, nothing works. Which would be fine, except everything's stuttering after a couple of minutes.

So questions/help on; Playing MKV's without transcoding? Can I do that? My device plays everything fine in all guises if I put files on ot a USB stick, so the device can play everything fine, this is all just over dlna, which was part of the reason I bought the system.

Is this just an old profile thing?

Can you really only play mkv's with transcoding on?

thanks in advance and all that.
<<

slyguy42o

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Re: BTT590 mkv playback issues

Can you post detailed logs after your TV fails to play a file?
<<

raphski

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Probably not. I wouldn't know where to start.

Solution - give up on all DLNA and stick to copying files to a USB stick.
<<

slyguy42o

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:54 pm

here are the details on how to do it

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7
<<

thanic_kerk

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:17 am

I have this same issue so would like to follow through with the logging request if this thread can be resurrected.

I have Serviio running under Windows 7 with a connected disk containing files in .mkv form created using MakeMKV.

These videos will not play on the DLNA client in a Panasonic BTT590.

They all play correctly from the same source using DLNA clients on a Raspberry Pi (xbmc in its Raspbmc form) or a Samsung UE55ES8000 TV. The movies also play if placed on a USB stick which is plugged directly into the BTT590, so the BTT590 can handle the underlying formats in the MKV.

I can obviously play these videos through the Raspberry Pi, but this is a step too complicated for the family to use, and using the Panasonic route would be simpler. The Samsung TV route is out for me as the Samsung smart hub seemingly downgrades any network feed (as in DLNA), attached USB feed, or attached HDMI feed to 2 channel sound - boo.

Can I resurrect this thread, and if so where is the config file I need to alter on a Windows distribution of Serviio?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:41 am

You need to provide details about the MKV file (use MediaInfo). Not all MKV's are created equally.
Are you also using the Panasonic Viera 2010 profile as is being used by the OP? If not what profile. Also, what do you see when you try any play the files?

The movies also play if placed on a USB stick which is plugged directly into the BTT590, so the BTT590 can handle the underlying formats in the MKV.
Doesn't necessarily follow, often DLNA and USB systems within the TV support different file types. Streaming (where the file is provided sequentially) is different from direct access (where any part of the file can be read at any time).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.

Return to Panasonic