FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Synology DSM 7.0

<<

vix

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Synology DSM 7.0

Synology released DSM 7.0. Installation heer failed with error message "package isn't possible to install because runs with root permission. Ask developer".
I want to let you know, maybe you can (want) update package to correct way. I think Synology changed something.
Attachments
dsm70serviio.png
dsm70serviio.png (96.42 KiB) Viewed 315 times
<<

PeterHurn

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:05 pm

Re: Synology DSM 7.0

vix wrote:Synology released DSM 7.0. Installation heer failed with error message "package isn't possible to install because runs with root permission. Ask developer".
I want to let you know, maybe you can (want) update package to correct way. I think Synology changed something.

Yes, I reported this earlier this week, I don't know if the Synology version is being supported now.
Samsung 55” ES8000 Series 8 SMART 3D Full HDLED TV
Synology 6TB 214Play NAS
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:17 pm

The Serviio developer is not responsible for the NAS versions. He only creates the Windows, Linux and Mac OS versions. Other users have maintained the NAS versions in the past. Lately I don't think that user has been online much. I can't say when/if he'll be providing further updates.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 8 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

PeterHurn

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:42 pm

atc98092 wrote:The Serviio developer is not responsible for the NAS versions. He only creates the Windows, Linux and Mac OS versions. Other users have maintained the NAS versions in the past. Lately I don't think that user has been online much. I can't say when/if he'll be providing further updates.

If this is the case, can someone else take over the maintenance of the Serviio Synology source code?
Samsung 55” ES8000 Series 8 SMART 3D Full HDLED TV
Synology 6TB 214Play NAS
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:57 pm

PeterHurn wrote:
atc98092 wrote:The Serviio developer is not responsible for the NAS versions. He only creates the Windows, Linux and Mac OS versions. Other users have maintained the NAS versions in the past. Lately I don't think that user has been online much. I can't say when/if he'll be providing further updates.

If this is the case, can someone else take over the maintenance of the Serviio Synology source code?

Exactly what I was concerned with and asked about in a couple of threads........the response is the same......crickets (except for AT who has at least responded the best he/she could).

While 2.0 is available, as things change, the updates for the new permissions and whatever else Synology does to support their product can break apps if the devs don't fix it.

2.1 has been out for a while.... and there is no way to update unless you SSH in and overwrite all the files in the main package which is not for the faint at heart.

Also, if you ever have to actually install from a new DSM image, there is no "installer" except for the dev's site.....and if that dies.....then there is really no way to install the serviio package on the device to even begin with......which means we (NAS users) are working on margin.

While I can't expect Serviio to support NAS, there should be at least a primer of how to do this so that other's can champion the effort to have and maintain the latest and greatest.

While I can do php, html, C, C++ and other languages....Linux is the one I have never boned up on......and probably should.......but at the expense of screwing up my NAS doing it.

I am with you, not very happy about any of it and wish there was a path forward........and worse........no one really gives a damn about it.
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:03 pm

PeterHurn wrote:

I am actively working on this now.

I have 2.1 installed using DSM 6.2.3. Update 2 and most likely will be just fine on DSM Update 3 (not really needed but I will eventually update).

DSM 7 creates a whole new issue as they've removed the ability for packages to run as root since it can then perform root operations which can lead to security issues from 3rd party......even though that is not rampant as it is on Windows platforms.....but still represents a risk.

I'll update if I can get it operating on version 7 and then we will have to figure out how to be able to test this to ensure nothing was missed or affects operation of the systems.

The trick here will be to sort out which issues arise.....the NAS installers......or Serviio logic errors etc.....

This was something I was concerned with a while back.....I've tried to contact patters here, on his site and he is just no where to be found or uninterested in resolving it.....so I have taken it on....

Hopefully have some solutions soon.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:37 pm

kittmaster: if/when you have a working install, create a new thread and let me know, and I'll make it a Sticky to keep it on top.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 8 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:55 am

atc98092 wrote:kittmaster: if/when you have a working install, create a new thread and let me know, and I'll make it a Sticky to keep it on top.

Will do

Return to NAS installation