FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Buffalo LinkStation Live 2tb #LS-CH2.0TL

<<

thewarden

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 am

Buffalo LinkStation Live 2tb #LS-CH2.0TL

Looking for an alternative. Is it possible to install serviio on this NAS drive? My Samsung blu-ray players won't allow pause/ff/rew when viewing video files off this drive. There is a workaround in the twonky settings but whenever the drive is restarted or shut off, those settings default back and I have to redo it. Unacceptable. I would like to install a better server, but I am a complete noob at this.

I can't even get to the drive's system files. ssh commands don't seem to work (prolly cuz I'm clueless), and I don't even know where to start. I'd also like to backup the drive's current server in the event I screw sumthin up if that's possible.

If it helps, my drive is connected to my netgear WNR-2000 wireless router and I'm using PCLinuxOS on my computer. I would generally need some step by step info if possible. Unless there are some instructions already posted for another drive that would work for this one?

Any help?

Thanx!
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Buffalo LinkStation Live 2tb #LS-CH2.0TL

without either a drive infront of me or knwing exactly what its running i wouldnt even be able to start helping you.

Was twonky preinstalled on there or did you install it ? if you installed it try installing serviio in teh same fashion.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

thewarden

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:27 am

Twonky is pre-installed. I don't know how to install anything on it. That's my problem. :) I found that fix on the buffalo forums but of course they don't allow any talk of "hacking" on their forums so I can't get help there for this.

The fix that is posted, requires going into twonky settings at http://nasip:9050 and looking at the clients list. There you set the type of your connected blu-ray players as ps3 rather than "generic dlna" and then these features work. However, any restart of the server or shutting off the drive reverts it back to generic requiring me to go through these settings again. Every time.

Needless to say, pause/rw/ff are important!

Is there any way I can give you more information? Keeping in mind, I am a noob at this, but knowledgeable enuff to follow instructions (I hope). :)

Thanx!
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:35 am

no im at a loss without one actualy infront of me but maybe illico, ZIP or maybe even patters can help you out. Patters seem to be the NAS genie here so maybe he will be the man for teh job.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:40 pm

...I'm only the NAS genie within a very narrow set of parameters i.e. on Synology :)
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 pm

patters wrote:...I'm only the NAS genie within a very narrow set of parameters i.e. on Synology :)

give it a shot mate you have more experience than rest of us ;)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Well it looks from a quick glance like the Buffalo 'scene' requires a wipe and load of a custom firmware to give you an ipkg package installer. The older models probably aren't really powerful enough for Serviio but it seems that the newer ones use the same CPU as the Synology NAS products (Marvell Kirkwood SoC).

The info about hacking the firmware is available here:
http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/
but it seems quite a lot more complex than with Synology.

I would imagine that my guide would be a good place to start (for installing, general principles, and compiling FFmpeg), though the guide would need customizing to set Serviio up to run as a daemon on Buffalo. I won't be buying one as an experiment because I'm content with the Synology, but it shouldn't be too hard for someone else...
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!

Return to NAS installation