FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Synologyu model for transcode??

<<

Adolfofb

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:50 am

Synologyu model for transcode??

Hi, I tried Serviio 1.6 on my pc and it transcode ok to my home tv's.

Now I would like to purchase a Synology NAS and install Serviio 1.6 on it.

Wich model os Synology NAS is compatible with transcode???.

Synology DiskStation DS215J NAS 2HD
Synology DiskStation DS216se NAS 2HD

Thanks a lot...
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Synologyu model for transcode??

Hi,

This is a difficult question to answer because the amount of transcoding depends on your renderer devices. If you have a recent TV or Bluray player it's likely to play most formats without significant transcoding. The problem is that most of the NAS models are not really powerful enough to transcode 1080p H.264. The exceptions are the DS214Play and the DS415Play but these also have certain limitations. Read the section on hardware transcoding further down the page here: https://pcloadletter.co.uk/2012/01/25/s ... o-package/

There are newer Synology models that are also sold as being capable of hardware transcoding (e.g. DS716+ or the DS216Play) but I have not been able to add support for these yet into Serviio. To do this I need the source code to FFmpeg that Synology used for DSM 6.0 which they legally must release, but they have not done this yet. So hopefully now you can see why it's difficult for someone to recommend you to make a purchase right now.

Cheers,

Patters
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!

Return to NAS installation