FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Please provide update for Synology

<<

efaneuf

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Please provide update for Synology

I notice you have updated all the products historically supported, except Synology.

I use a DS413J. Very happy with this NAS (for what I use of it). Mainly use it to store videos and my itunes library.
I have tried the built in server for the video. Mixed results with some features more appealing than Serviio, others are much better on Serviio. Frankly would like to find a way to create upper level types to separate family and commercial videos but that seems to be the main failure of the Serviio product (or lack of documentation to do so)

Recently I see you have released the update for ALL the other historically supported platforms but you seem to be abandoning synology.

If it is because of a lack of bandwidth and beta testers, here is one. A senior developer also (retired) who used to be a release engineer also.

Please do NOT forsake me.
thanks
Earl
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:52 am

Re: Please provide update for Synology

I notice you have updated all the products historically supported, except Synology.
All of the NAS implementations are maintained by users rather than by the developer of Serviio (@zip). There are a number of reasons for this. In the case of the Synology NAS @patters keeps them up to date - as patters is doing this voluntarily, releases can a little while longer than the mainstream for operating systems supported natively by zip.

ps. I'm sure patters would welcome support if you are a developer with time.... reach out perhaps.

would like to find a way to create upper level types to separate family and commercial videos
What I do is:

• Create separate shares for my commercial releases (in my case D:\Video\Movies and D:\Video\TV Shows) and home videos (in my case D:\Video Camera);
  • For the commercial shares - enable "Retrieve descriptive metadata" for the shared folder. These titles will appear under the Movies and Series categories in Serviio;
  • For the home movies - disable "Retrieve descriptive metadata" for the shared folder. These titles will only appear in the Folders and Titles categories in Serviio. I'd prefer that they didn't appear in Titles but I haven't worked that one out yet.
I recognise it would be better to have a dedicated category, but until/if that is developed the above has worked well for me.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Is there any news when the new version will be relased? Aproximately?
It's scarefully quiet about that. :|
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:17 pm

You might send a PM to Patters. He's the one that maintains the Synology build. There might be hardware or OS reasons he hasn't been able to update it yet. Or, life might have gotten in the way... :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:26 pm

I did as you asked to send PM to them (zip & patters). I didn't wanted to disturb them in the beginning and was waiting any replay here in forum. Unfortunately no replay, PM sent in different time week or more ago. And also i asked in Synology download page about it but seems that page is totally dead. Last post there like from August and my post awaiting for moderation. I have feeling that i am not the only one who post there awaiting moderation. :mrgreen:
If honestly, my opinion that serviio for synology is discontinued. We will see that probably in future was my feeling correct or not.
Attachments
serviio.png
awaiting moderation
serviio.png (33.23 KiB) Viewed 13376 times
<<

Acetone

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:37 am

I too wondered if support for Synology has been discontinued. I get the message "A new version of Serviio (1.10.1) is available" .

Of course there could be very good reasons why the guys haven't ported it across yet, but would be nice to know if there will be any updates in the future.
<<

thatfellow

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 am

+1

We really need the NAS version to be treated like the mainstream releases rather than patters having to update it as a hobby when he has the time.
& please don't take that up wrong patters, I think this is a great bit of work you have done. I just think the same time and effort should be put into the synology build as all the other builds.

I purchased the pro license under the assumption that this was the case. If it comes down to time and life getting in the way, then maybe this branch could be moved to github or similar where other users can contribute and help out taking some of the burden off patters. I for one (and I am sure there are many like me) would be willing to test and help build if the current knowledge of the project was shared.

Again patters, what you have done has been great and is much appreciated, serviio & synology work great together. I just think that the synology build has to be treated as a core build of the software from now on.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:34 am

I have now updated the Synology package to Serviio 1.10.1.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

Acetone

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:52 am

Was a nice surprise this morning when my DS718+ said I had a package update.

Many thanks your hard work is much appreciated
<<

DVD Listing

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 23, 2019 10:35 am

Good Day.

I see the new version 2.0, but no option for Synology.

Will there be a Synology version 2.0?
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:34 am

It is done :)
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

DVD Listing

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:22 am

Thanks Patters.
:D
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:23 pm

Great Job Patters!
<<

Acetone

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks again for the update
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:18 pm

I've sent Patters a message and got zero response.

My problem with this is.....what if he wins the lottery, or if god forbid, he's just has had enough?

There should be a documented way that we can get a new build and a procedure to slip stream the latest and greatest.

The other issue is that the install pulls directly from his website, and nowhere else. Same deal, what happens when that site goes away?

I'm requesting that a method be had to be able to build and package a manual install so that we aren't entirely dependent on one person on the entire planet.

Regards,
Chris

Return to NAS installation