FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Will Serviio be able to play .avi if installed on 210j ?

<<

petrich

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:11 am

Will Serviio be able to play .avi if installed on 210j ?

Hi Guys,

I am about to begin the installation of Serviio on my NAS 210j, thanks to the very nice "patter's" HOW TO ;-)

I've been reading it and hope I'll be able to handle that since I am not at all a Linux Expert.

However, before I begin, i would like to be sure this installation could meet my requirements:

With Serviio running on my Syno, will I be able to play .avi files on my Bravia KDL 40W5500 by DLNA, everybody knowing 4 sure that native Sony DLNA is not able to do that ?

I read in another post the following, from "patters": It works beautifully! Well, it's clearly never going to manage realtime video transcoding, but it does audio transcoding and remuxing fine.

Is "remuxing" an alternative to transoding, able to answer my question on a 800Mhz CPU NAS ?

The exact CPU included in a Syno 210j is an ARM
800Mhz Marvell Kirkwood mv6281 ARM
SATA, 16-bit Memory Bus, 128MB of RAM

Thanks,

Petrich
Last edited by petrich on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Will Serviio be able to play .avi if installed on 210j ?

Hi there,

No, you won't be able to transcode AVI to mpeg2video for the Bravia - it's not powerful enough to do video transcoding. I think even with an Atom CPU it would struggle. I have the KDL32V5500 which I think has the same DLNA renderer. These 2009 Bravia TVs unfortunately aren't very good renderers. They will play 1080p and 720p H.264, which the Syno can remux from mkv but only certain clips seem to work (even though they are all High profile level 4.1). It seems to be if the resolution isn't exactly right for what the TV expects. For true 1920x1080 clips it's fine but most films are in a wider aspect than 16:9 so you get some strange resolutions.

Personally I have a Sony Bluray player mainly to overcome this. Plus in the UK it plays the BBC iPlayer.

As for whether your Syno's CPU could transcode audio - I think it should be ok. Mine has a 1.6GHz cpu and it can remux mkv to m2ts while transcoding DTS to AC3.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!

Return to NAS installation