FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio makes no connection to new NAS

<<

megamike2021

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:23 pm

Serviio makes no connection to new NAS

I just recently purchased a WD My Cloud Home. It replaces a NAS (Freenet Network Drive) that is showing signs of age and might crash at any moment.

I have mapped the My Cloud Home as a network drive on my Windows 10 computer. My computer sees the drive and has no trouble interacting with it. But Serviio doesn't see it at all. This is surprising because my old drive works perfectly. In the attached photo, you can see that Serviio has made a connection with the Freenet drive (fnd) but not with the MyCloud.

I even thought that the problem was the capital letters that I was using so tried to list it with small letters. But that didn't work either.

Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong or what I have forgotten? I don't understand why the old NAS works but the brand new one doesn't?

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Screen shot of the Shared Folders page of the Serviio console.
Capture.PNG (8.37 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:54 pm

Re: Serviio makes no connection to new NAS

Serviio is not using your user login to run, so it doesn't see your mapped drive. You have two options: change the user account that Serviio uses to run the service, or try using the UNC that reached your NAS folders. UNC names are like this: \\device_name\share_name. But be aware that by default the Serviio service runs under the System account, which has limited network permissions. It might be simpler to change the user account that the service uses.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

megamike2021

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:41 am

atc98092 wrote:Serviio is not using your user login to run, so it doesn't see your mapped drive. You have two options: change the user account that Serviio uses to run the service, or try using the UNC that reached your NAS folders. UNC names are like this: \\device_name\share_name. But be aware that by default the Serviio service runs under the System account, which has limited network permissions. It might be simpler to change the user account that the service uses.

Thank you for the speedy reply. I thought that I was using the UNC name by writing \\mycloud-jau7p3\public.

I am happy to try the first option. But can you please provide some additional details on how I would do this? I am quite the novice on this topic, so maybe step-by-step instructions would help.

Also, since I asked this question, I have also completely uninstalled Serviio, done a reboot, and then reinstalled Serviio. I then entered the two mapped drives that you saw in the enclose screenshot. Again, the result was the same. The new NAS is still not detected by Serviio.

Thanks again.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:12 pm

I tried to find an easy to use tutorial, but my search wasn't successful.

Basically, on Windows you need to open the Services applet. Open the Run box (Windows key and R) and type services.msc. Scroll down the list until you find Serviio, and double-click it. This opens the Properties box. Select the Log On tab. You will see it is using the Local System account. Change the button to This Account, then enter the user name and password of the desired account. Note that it does not validate you entered the correct password, so make sure you get it right. click Apply, then go back to the General tab. Click the Stop button, then once it stops click Start.

Serviio is now running under that user account, and has the same permissions as that user. So if that user can access your NAS folders, Serviio will be able to as well.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

megamike2021

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:49 pm

atc98092 wrote:I tried to find an easy to use tutorial, but my search wasn't successful.

Basically, on Windows you need to open the Services applet. Open the Run box (Windows key and R) and type services.msc. Scroll down the list until you find Serviio, and double-click it. This opens the Properties box. Select the Log On tab. You will see it is using the Local System account. Change the button to This Account, then enter the user name and password of the desired account. Note that it does not validate you entered the correct password, so make sure you get it right. click Apply, then go back to the General tab. Click the Stop button, then once it stops click Start.

Serviio is now running under that user account, and has the same permissions as that user. So if that user can access your NAS folders, Serviio will be able to as well.

Hello Dan, Thank you for your information. It was clear enough and it did work for me. My only issue was that I wasn't sure which I.D. I needed to use, since there are some many (screen saver id, e-mail address, etc, etc). So I did some searching around and learned this method which might help other people in the same boat as me:

Open the command prompt as administrator and then type: "whoami". (Without the quote).

That's it. You'll see the I.D. that you are using. You will also need to enter a password. For me, that was my Windows account password. And it all worked.

Thanks again.

Return to NAS installation